Rabbits

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Let's not turn this into yet another 'right' or 'wrong' thread re every animal under the sun.

The OP asked about rabbits being bred and raised to be eaten and the potential for that type of business so can we please keep this on that track?

Oops sorry, saw this too late.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do they taste just like chicken?

I had rabbit exactly once in a French restaurant. I don't recall the flavor, but the eating experience because of the bones was not pleasant and I never thought to order it again.

May 29, 2006
Compare the intelligence of a horse to that of a pig which is eaten readily on the DR.

Admittedly pigs are not majestic animals as are horses.

On the AMC show Madmen, they did an episode on dog food made from horse meat. I was a hard sell though it was the standard at the time. Pigs are smarter than dogs. Dogs are just lucky they don't taste like bacon. Knew a Filipino woman who made one of her dogs the "guest of honor" at her niece's birthday party.

As for rabbits, they are a prey species after all, but they just seem like too much trouble for not a lot of meat. Maybe roasted?

In Michael Moore's first film, Roger and Me, they censored a scene where a woman slaughtered a rabbit for meat when they showed it in schools(it was considered too graphic for kids), but they didn't censor a scene where the police shot a Black man with a toy gun who was acting erratically. We live in odd times.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i ate rabbits before (average taste) but only recently i saw one skinned and ready to eat, on sale in la sirena. i swear it looked like it definitely did meow and it did not eat grass and letuce when still alive. not the kind of the meat i would ever consider buying.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Rabbit meat is lean meat so best used in a stew. Try the recipe of Belgiank...its yummie!
@DV8 : I never buy a skinned rabbit without the head, need to see the head and then I know if I will eat it or not.

Last edited:

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Coconut rabbit

I used to make this . Would get the rabbit at La Sarenna . Drove my wife crazy.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup oil for frying
* 1 (2 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
* 1 bird's eye chile, seeded and minced
* 1 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
* 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2/3 cup cream of coconut

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the rabbit pieces until browned on the outside. Transfer to a soup pot or large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, red pepper and chile pepper to the skillet; cook and stir until onion is transparent. Transfer to the saucepan.
2. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper to the saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 2 hours. Remove the rabbit pieces with a slotted spoon, and keep warm. Turn the heat up to high under the saucepan, and boil the liquid until it has reduced by half.
3. Return the rabbit pieces to the pan, and stir in the coconut milk. Cook, stirring gently, until heated through. Serve.