Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paperwork needed to get married in DR

Asking for info on behalf of my sister. What paperwork would she need to get married here? Would she need to return to England for any part of the process? She has her english birth certificate and British passport here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If anything has changed someone will post I'm sure but this is what we have in the legal section

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficialía del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
    Birth certificate
    Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
    Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

People who have been divorced in the DR under the Special Divorces Law need to wait 24 hours prior to getting married.

II. After the marriage:

You will be given a document that proves the wedding took place. You then need to request a marriage certificate from the “Oficial de Estado Civil” (City Clerk) that married you.

Marriage certificate validity abroad

The document issued by “Oficial de Estado Civil” (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. She is worried about whether she will have to return to England to fulfill any of the requirements?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Has her birth certificate been apostille 'd?
    that needs to be done in the UK and is a pain, but needed.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    Has her birth certificate been apostille 'd?
    that needs to be done in the UK and is a pain, but needed.
    Do they keep the birth certificate that you provide for marriage in the DR and not give it back like they do when one applies for Dominican residency or do they just photocopy it and let you have it back?
    When I applied for DR residency I ordered a certified copy of my BC and had it apostilled since I didn't want to lose the original that I've had since I was born.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It hasn´t been apostilled... could it be sent to the UK rather than her having to travel back there?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macy Kai View Post
    It hasn´t been apostilled... could it be sent to the UK rather than her having to travel back there?
    Yes, it cost around 70brit pounds and takes 10 days. The courier will cost about 60 pounds DR-UK, UK-DR. This is if the certificate is the original, if it is not the original and they need to sort it out then it can take ages, months infact.

8. Likes Macy Kai liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is totally up to date but the guidelines seem to be quite clear here Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

I am pretty convinced that when we enquired, as we were living permanently in the DR, we were told that our paperwork could be translated and legalised here. Perhaps a chat with a good lawyer such as Lisa Ewest, Lisa Legal Solutions would be able to clarify before you spend lots of unnecessary money. PM me if you want/ don't have her details.

10. Likes Macy Kai liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

When you get the marriage certificate get loads as when you hand them in you dont get them back. You will need the full in extensa certificate for some things so get like 10 of those and 10 of the standard ones.

Matilda

12. Likes Macy Kai liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whirleybird View Post
    Not sure if this is totally up to date but the guidelines seem to be quite clear here Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

I am pretty convinced that when we enquired, as we were living permanently in the DR, we were told that our paperwork could be translated and legalised here.
    Yes this is correct, but the birth certificate needs to be appostille 'd in the UK, that is for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast