Anybody using Panasonic Breadmaker?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We were fed up with the bread available here so we purchased this:

Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker

Today we tried to make our first bread, the result was (cough) NOT what we expected...

We did everything by the manual...

Does anybody use a similar machine successfully and can tell me which flour and yeast available in DR might be the best to use with it? We suspect the flour or the yeast to be the culprit...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have used one for 2 years now...

For the flour I just use, euhhh, the blue and white bag (american brand), but available here everywhere. Mind you I have also used the whole wheat....

The yeast is your problem. The dry yeast you buy here is frequently very old, and not active anymore...

I switched to using fresh yeast, which you can buy in prepackaged blocks, frequently in the freezer department of a store. You dissolve pretty much the same amount as the dry yeast (replacing the dry one) in a bit of lukewarm water, and add that to the mixture.

You should get perfect bread.

Anymore questions, please ask.

BelgianK

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I used to have a bread machine.Use bread flour instead of all purpose.I recall seeing
it in La Sirena or Jumbo.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We do also have 24/7 except for this week but that was because of Woody...
A glitch in switching from main power to invertor is enough to stop the program.

Now tell....was the bread flat?

Acira

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Problem is the machine adds the yeast automatically, there is a compartment where you add it and forget it. Or can I add the yeast liquid there instead of the dry one? Dunno how to add it otherwise b/c I have no idea when it has to be added to the other ingredients...

I have used one for 2 years now...

For the flour I just use, euhhh, the blue and white bag (american brand), but available here everywhere. Mind you I have also used the whole wheat....

The yeast is your problem. The dry yeast you buy here is frequently very old, and not active anymore...

I switched to using fresh yeast, which you can buy in prepackaged blocks, frequently in the freezer department of a store. You dissolve pretty much the same amount as the dry yeast (replacing the dry one) in a bit of lukewarm water, and add that to the mixture.

You should get perfect bread.

Anymore questions, please ask.

BelgianK

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No, it was actually bread but not complete. It was in peaces and definitely not grown into the expected size!

QUOTE=Acira;1127604]We do also have 24/7 except for this week but that was because of Woody...
A glitch in switching from main power to invertor is enough to stop the program.

Now tell....was the bread flat?

Acira[/QUOTE]

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Never use a bread machine, never have dry yeast that doesn't bloom. We make everything from breads, bagels, pizza doughs and other yeast bread products. They all turn out great with a bit of practice.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No time for practice or doing it by hand, that's why we bought the machine... ;)

Never use a bread machine, never have dry yeast that doesn't bloom. We make everything from breads, bagels, pizza doughs and other yeast bread products. They all turn out great with a bit of practice.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

I would have to be in a sealed room with aircon on high before I would make bread here with my hands like I used to...no no bread machine works perfect here from plain bread, whole wheat bread, pizza dough, sandwich dough and many others we have not tried yet.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Schwarzbrot

@ caribmike

I do understand your craving for a good wholesome bread; German style, right?

1. Throw out the machine. Nothing good comes out of it. :disappoin
2. Get rye flour. (I can help.)
3. Use fresh yeast.
4. Make sourdough bread (Holzofen-Bauernbrot).

donP

P.S.:
Das hiesige Schaumgummibrot kann doch niemand (fr)essen.... :tired:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Problem is the machine adds the yeast automatically, there is a compartment where you add it and forget it. Or can I add the yeast liquid there instead of the dry one? Dunno how to add it otherwise b/c I have no idea when it has to be added to the other ingredients...

Our bread machine works as follows and I am sure yours also.
First add the dissolved yeast that you have put in some warm water.
Then add flower
Add eggs
At last add the pinch of salt and here is the trigger. Salt may not come in contact with the live yeast because it kills it.
That's why our bread machine will do nothing for the first 20 minutes, only temp goes up to allow the yeast to grow.
Once those twenty minutes are gone, the machine begins to knead.

Other wise let us know which bread you want and we can tell you how to go to work with your bread machine.

Acira

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No, machine has to stay :) No time to do it manually. Will teach machine to make Schwarzbrot lol...

@ caribmike

3. Use fresh yeast.

donP

P.S.:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Funny, our manual says to add the dry ingredients first and add any liquids at the end...

Yes, it "rests" first and heats up... So basically we could add the yeast right away instead of letting the machine add it? That sounds already like the solution for the problem...

Fresh yeast, no contact w/ salt... sounds good.

Our bread machine works as follows and I am sure yours also.
First add the dissolved yeast that you have put in some warm water.
Then add flower
Add eggs
At last add the pinch of salt and here is the trigger. Salt may not come in contact with the live yeast because it kills it.
That's why our bread machine will do nothing for the first 20 minutes, only temp goes up to allow the yeast to grow.
Once those twenty minutes are gone, the machine begins to knead.

Other wise let us know which bread you want and we can tell you how to go to work with your bread machine.

Acira

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wonder Bread

Anyone from the US that ever tried this brand will know what I am talking about when I say that it is one of the best White Bread on the market anywhere.

Nacional in Punta Cana carries it. Get some of this and you won't need a machine.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
@ caribmike

3. Use fresh yeast.

donP

P.S.:

Actually here at the North Coast you can get at least some descent bread (certainly now with the Belgian Baker in Cabarete) instead of the 'schaumgummibrot' which is YUK.
But it is fun to experiment with the machine, we made some delicious bread with raisins, a good layer of butter on a slice of that...mmmMM :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
LOL, I was looking forward to exactly that for tonight but all we "produced" were some bread crumbs... :(

And I am afraid there were no eggs added d'oh oh my :D

But at least it had a "breaddish" color! ;)

Actually here at the North Coast you can get at least some descent bread (certainly now with the Belgian Baker in Cabarete) instead of the 'schaumgummibrot' which is YUK.
But it is fun to experiment with the machine, we made some delicious bread with raisins, a good layer of butter on a slice of that...mmmMM :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
CaribMike, there is a website of Panasonic with all delicious recipes for bread and other doughs but have to check again what the name is.
Belgiank says he wants to make you a good raisin bread or a raisin bread with hazelnuts in? Time for us to visit you and see the pup? hint hint :)