Anybody using Panasonic Breadmaker?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Lol, let me know when!

But the pup is a big bad dog now (lovely with us but mean w/ everybody else :D

CaribMike, there is a website of Panasonic with all delicious recipes for bread and other doughs but have to check again what the name is.
Belgiank says he wants to make you a good raisin bread or a raisin bread with hazelnuts in? Time for us to visit you and see the pup? hint hint :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I was looking but couldn't find that webpage (when the machine was still on its way to us).

Found a youtube vid with instructions but not for the same machine and I think they used some premix thing to make the bread. Not a big help that...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks, but I wanted some variety to the white bread... But we will get some next time and try!

Anyone from the US that ever tried this brand will know what I am talking about when I say that it is one of the best White Bread on the market anywhere.

Nacional in Punta Cana carries it. Get some of this and you won't need a machine.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
but so delish with peanutbutter and jelly

it actually melts in your mouth lol
Manu

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I dont like bread that is like a sponge! I remember one american who lived in Ukraine used to say that our bread is like concrete bricks LOL, so my taste buds are used for more firm consistency of bread.
Its funny that i just bought same bread machine! Just need to pick it up from post office.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have zojirushi bread machine, apparently super top of the line blah blah. before that we had williams sonora that miesposo bought in garage sale in NC for 15 dollars :)
anyways, why don't you try making bread pauper machine way, that is liquids first and then solids. normally all bread machines work like this so maybe panasonic tries to hard to overdo things :) ;)
try my fool proof, delicious and easy buns:
1 and 1/3 cup flat room temperature flat beer (can be gassy, really, just pour carefully not to make foam)
1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
some roughly chopped onions, spring onions, garlic
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3 and 3/4 white bread flour (we use gold medal flour)
2 teaspoons of dry yeast

use dough cycle. after the dough is ready take it out with floured hands, place on floured surface. cut the ball into smaller bun sized pieces, no need to shape or form. place buns on a well oiled baking tray. let rise one hour. bake about 20-25 minutes until golden.
makes excellent pizza too. take dough out, place of floured surface, flat with a roller, put on a greased pizza pan. for some special deal put cheese first, then sauce, then grated parmesan and top with drizzle of olive oil. bake for 15 minutes or until ready.

the key is to watch your bread being knead. tap it with your finger: the dough should be elastic ball. if it feels too dry add a spoons of liquid (in this case beer but can be water, milk, tomatoes juice). if it is too wet add a spoon of flour.
gently move with a plastic spatula any dough that sticks to walls.
works with breads only, ok? cake dough is always runny and liquid.

few tips:
switch off preheat option, this is best for wholewheat flour.
always, always, always keep your dry yeast in a closed container in a fridge or freezer.
always add a tad more yeast than recipe calls for (the one above actually calls for 1 and 1/2 yeast but i add 2)
check the dough during kneading process as described above. do not open the machine during rise or baking.
move the stuck dough with plastic or wooden spatula only.
wash machine baking bucket with soft sponge only.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
dv8 (above) has the answer. I've used bread machines for 20+ years. Liquids first, dry yeast on top of the ingredients, all dv8 says.

The secret is to get a simple machine and make only pan de aqua, use good olive oil, and if the yeast seems weak, double it unitil its right. Half whole wheat and half white flour works great (Pillsbury regular, not self-rising, no additives, not for bread machines). Dunno why, but cheap local flour doesn't do the job as well.

Then use the machine SIMPLY. Don't use the special compartment for yeast, don't do pizza dough, banana nut bread or whatever — at least until you've got your machine working for simple pan de agua on your power source on your flour, etc. Then if you want to use fancy settings, just ratio them to those you found works for pan de agua.

PS: frequency of power source can really screw it up. E.g., inverters that have the three-step sinus simulators unaligned on their little race tracks. That screws up the timer too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one more note: the makers of the machine want you to feel like an idiot. hence all the bs about "follow the instructions to the letter". nah, forget it.
you need to know few simple things: general rule is that one cup of liquid needs roughly 3 cups of flour. ignore the rest of the ingredients in this equation, they have little volume to change this balance. except eggs, they count as liquid (recipe will say one beaten egg plus enough water to complete one cup).
yeast not touching salt is another myth. granted, you put yeast in one corner and salt in another or you separate they with other ingredient (flour) but the machine starts kneading immediately and everything will mix up really fast. so yes, avoid those two touch upon filling the machine but don't let the whole thing bother you.

the recipe i gave you above has a great deal of freedom. i use garlic, onions, olives, sun dried tomatoes, dried or fresh herbs. as long as those additional ingredients do not add up to more than a half cup they do not really matter.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have never put the dry yeast in the freezer. That might actually work to keep it good.

As DV8 says, if you use the dry yeast, use a bit more than what the recipe says. The yeast here is not as strong as in Europe.

With the fresh yeast, I just dissolve it in about a spoonfull of lukewarm water. Anyways yeast on the bottom, all other dry ingredients on top of it, then the liquid ones. Put machine on right program, and choose dark crust.

You probably have a compartment for raisins or nuts, but my machine does not. About 1,5 hours in the cycle the machine beeps, and then I open the lid and throw in the nuts or raisins. Close it again, and 2,5 hours I have perfect bread.

BelgianK

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I will let the wife try later on! Thanks to everybody! I think we start with a simple white bread to try the waters before moving on to the more sophisticated recipes.

I will post the results! :)

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Never had any luck with mine

but then again I bought the prepacks
what I got out as bread was fit for skeetshooting
Manu

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Using the "Acira/BelgianK" method we produced this today (as seen in the pic, progress was made ;)):

2ptz1x4.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am planniing to try this one as it sounds jummy...

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
500 g flower
225 ml water
150 g grated parmesan cheese
2 1/2 Tbs milkpowder
2 1/2 Tbs butter
2 2/3 tsp honey
10 g salt
10 gram dried yeast

Something tells me this cannot be bad...

BelgianK

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I agree with what DV8 says..

I have made bread for years, the last 5yrs with a bread machine.
Watch the moister.
If the flour is dry... add more water
If the flour is damp... add less water.

The flour has to be fresh. If the package has dust on it... go to a different store.
Don't buy cake flour. It can be all-purpose flour, but you can't beat real bread flour.

Check out this site. It has pictures of bread failures and what caused them.

You have to keep trying and tune the recipe (adjust the liquids) for your flour and your location.

Bread Machine Digest ? Troubleshooting Chart for Bread Machines

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
hehehehe look on my first in my life loaf of white bread! Just took this baby out of my panasonic breadmaker.
68d42f781f63.jpg