Most Dangerous Cities of the World, and guess what?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Interesting. I don't know that much about Brazil, but was surprised it was so highly rated. Mexico, not so much.

C/S America doesn't look too good, huh? Drug culture?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Other than South Africa and Iraq, all this side of the Atlantic!

I think I'll scratch Brazil off my bucket list!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Doubt that it includes people getting murdered by cops because then the DR would rank a lot higher I believe. In the last 48, 7 tigres were killed in BC and Andres alone and who knows what happens in the capital?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i call BS. i am pretty sure that baghdad or grozny are a lot worse and they did not make it to the list. yeah, i know, it was supposedly based on the murder rate. but if capitals of chaos did not appear on this list because of bogus statistics try to think how murder situation REALLY looks like...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
As much as this is an interesting topic, please note to anyone posting topics that if it is not DR-related, it will be deleted.

I could move it to the Off-Topic forum, but that wouldn't be fair to the OP who will not be able to access it.

So anyone with less than 500 posts, please keep this in mind.

If anyone would care to post homicide rates for the major cities of the DR so we can compare, I'll keep this topic open without moving or closing it.

Berzin

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've lived in Mexico and Venezuela. Crime in the DR is nowhere near. If I had to put numbers, I'd said Santo Domingo is maybe 1/10 as dangerous as Mexico DF or Caracas.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I always wonder... a homicide or a simple crime happens in the DR to an expat, and every expat is yelling murder...

Do they ever check their home countries, cities, or whatever...?

They cry murder over some whoremonger who got killed, but they do not mention some idiot who took a shotgun to a high school, and murdered several innocent kids.

My home in Belgium got robbed once, my business twice...

So far here, one attempt...

My parents live in one of the more affluent neighborhoods in Belgium. Sad, but at 87 and 80, they do not risk anymore to go out to dinner in the evening. They have alarm systems, police protection and community guards...

BelgianK

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I agree with dv8... if omitting of murder rates just means you are not on the list... it means very little..

That is not to say that out of the cities that do report a murder rate this can be good list and to get an idea of comparable safety between cities on this list...

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Spare me your rant. I made clear what I asked for and why, for the sake of keeping the thread open.

Berzin

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Doubt that it includes people getting murdered by cops because then the DR would rank a lot higher I believe. In the last 48, 7 tigres were killed in BC and Andres alone and who knows what happens in the capital?
So, you know that in the other places cops kill FEWER people than in the DR? The rate of people killed by cops may also be higher in those places than it is in the DR.

And don't confuse KILLED with MURDERED...they are totally different...all people murdered are also killed...however not everyone killed is murdered.

Some police killings (everywhere) may be murder, but others clearly are not...Some bad guys do resist police actions with weapons (all over the world) and the police (everywhere) is entitled to defend themselves (everywhere)...as a result some bad guys get KILLED (everywhere), but not murdered.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
C/S America doesn't look too good, huh? Drug culture?
Why generalise?...Some countries look very bad, but others aren't mentioned...Panama is, but CR isn't...Brazil is, but Argentina isn't....Jamaica and PR are, but the DR and most islands aren't...

How does the US look? The ABSOUTE WORST, by FAR...why?
Can you guess?
OK, I'll give you a hint...

Budget...

Get it?

Want another hint?

Military...

Get it?

I know, I know...poor USA has to 'protect' the entire planet....with all that money spent on 'protecting' everybody else, not enough money is left for protecting US citizens (from other US citizens)....But hey, they do spend lots of money in counter-terrorism....chances are next time several small teams of terrorists try to take over planes in different airports to use them as weapon to MURDER thousands of US citizens, at least ONE of the small teams is caught...credit where credit is due...

Cities ranked by murder rate per dollar spent by their country on the justice system...that is a list that is needed...Cities ranked by murder rate per dollar spent on 'defence' by their country is unnecessary...too easy to guess the cities.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
i call BS. i am pretty sure that baghdad or grozny are a lot worse and they did not make it to the list. yeah, i know, it was supposedly based on the murder rate...
Well, they used the murder rate criterion, provided they could find some reliable source for that...Mosul Iraq did make the list, into the 40's...After the Iraq 'liberation' forces left, violence in Baghdad has gone down significantly...But no one says that any city not in the list is violence-free....Perhaps Baghdad may still be in the next 50....

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I will agree the places mentioned are dangerous but that rating system seems ad hoc to me. Cali and Medellin are not all that dangerous anymore. How Lagos, or the other Sub-Saharan African cities are not on the list seems odd. Mogadishu isnt there that isnt quite disneyworld.
I would imagine that is a biased website more than likely a NGO looking to squeeze some money from the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why generalise?...Some countries look very bad, but others aren't mentioned...Panama is, but CR isn't...Brazil is, but Argentina isn't....Jamaica and PR are, but the DR and most islands aren't...

How does the US look? The ABSOUTE WORST, by FAR...why?
Can you guess?
OK, I'll give you a hint...

Budget...

Get it?

Want another hint?

Military...

Get it?

I know, I know...poor USA has to 'protect' the entire planet....with all that money spent on 'protecting' everybody else, not enough money is left for protecting US citizens (from other US citizens)....But hey, they do spend lots of money in counter-terrorism....chances are next time several small teams of terrorists try to take over planes in different airports to use them as weapon to MURDER thousands of US citizens, at least ONE of the small teams is caught...credit where credit is due...

Cities ranked by murder rate per dollar spent by their country on the justice system...that is a list that is needed...Cities ranked by murder rate per dollar spent on 'defence' by their country is unnecessary...too easy to guess the cities.

Did you engage your brain before writing your response. If you try to find a commonality between the 50 cities I'm sure one could find it if they stretched. In the majority of the cities mentioned there is poverty, DRUGS, and GANGS. There are either corrupt police, lack of resourses or high unemployment. Numerous reasons and none of them specifically are to do the the USA, other than some of those cities are in the USA and have some of the features I mentioned.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I would imagine that is a biased website more than likely a NGO looking to squeeze some money from the US.
Imagine all you want....but can you explain for those us less versed in the arts of fine reasoning how does this list make the ONG more likely to receive US money (assuming there is a source of US money for which they'd qualify...it is a Mexican NGO).

Then again, the entire universe revolves around the US (a small part of planet earth)...so you may have a point.

FYI they say in the ACTUAL REPORT (yes I have read it) that they only consider cities for which they could find reliable sources of crime statistics...I doubt there is much reliable information about anything in Somalia...Also a "war zone" would normally not be included in such lists for many reasons.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Did you engage your brain before writing your response. If you try to find a commonality between the 50 cities I'm sure one could find it if they stretched. In the majority of the cities mentioned there is poverty, DRUGS, and GANGS. There are either corrupt police, lack of resourses or high unemployment. Numerous reasons and none of them specifically are to do the the USA, other than some of those cities are in the USA and have some of the features I mentioned.
Did you actually READ the post you quoted in its entirety? Did you engage your brain in doing so?

Did I hear no and no?

Another hint for you:
the fact that ANY US city made that list is a shame considering the HUMONGOUS amount of money the US spend both on the justice system AND on 'defence' (in fact 'offence' is a more appropriate term)....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Sorry, but this thread *IS* very much DR related. The DR is part of the world, and the ranking of the world's most dangerous cities applies to the DR. The fact that NO DR city made the list does NOT make the list irrelevant.... It is indeed relevant that no DR city is on that list.

The OP made that point explicitly.

Lots of posters here like to dump on the DR about all sort of things (the country which, strangely, they insist on remaining in) and crime is one of them...Some of us often ask for ACTUAL EVIDENCE from a RELIABLE source backing up their claims or implications, and the most they do is to provide anecdotes reported on anonymous posts as if that was RELIABLE information...The list linked on the OP, even with imperfections, IS reliable information...And it says, that NO city in the DR is among the 50 worst of the world by murder rate (even though quite a few in the general vicinity of the DR, including San Juan, PR and Kingston Jamaica are).... ...Definitely RELIABLE RELEVANT information...

too bad it is also 'positive'...right?...but seems to be true, right?

Maybe you or the OP can change the title of the thread to:
"No Dominican city among world's most dangerous."
what about that?

Keep thinking San Juan is more dangerous the Santo Domingo.