Quittance pay for someone who resigns

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The man who has been looking after our pool/piscina for the last 5 years has announced that he has to quit for medical reasons. He seems to think that we should pay him redundancy money, is this so under Dominican law and if so how much, please?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe it qualifies as domestic? then holiday pay and a proportion of christmas salary.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tell him to go get a letter from the "Ministry Of Labor" saying how much he should receive.
Pay that amount, IF you want to.
If you don't, take the letter and go to the Ministry, and tell them any extenuating circumstances, and ask to see his medical records.
It all depends on if you want to play, "Hard Ball" over this, or NOT??????
I always say, ......"Batter UP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
You live in a house with a swimming pool and you have had this guy working for you for 5 years. Now he says he is sick and can't continue to work for you so you want to send him back to his poor barrio with no job and probably no money to help with his medical condition. Is it really going to put you into bankruptcy if you give the guy 1000 dollars? I could understand if he was a bad employee but it seems the right thing to do in this situation would be to help him out a little. I highly doubt he needs the money to pay for his pool boy.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You dont have to if he resigns, but if you want to, fill his details here:

:: C?lculo de Prestaciones Laborales ::

Make sure to check the box: ha sido usted pre-avisado, because you obviously dont need to pay the two week notice time, while he is the one quitting.

Check the box ?Desea incluir cesant?a? if you want to include the severance pay.
If he already had his vacation this year check the box: ?Ha tomado vacaciones este a?o? and
Check the box Incluir salario de navidad if you want to include the christmas salary.

Fill in his last 12 monthly salaries and the start and finish date (fecha de ingreso y fecha de salida).

Click the calculator and it will show what you need to pay him.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You live in a house with a swimming pool and you have had this guy working for you for 5 years. Now he says he is sick and can't continue to work for you so you want to send him back to his poor barrio with no job and probably no money to help with his medical condition. Is it really going to put you into bankruptcy if you give the guy 1000 dollars? I could understand if he was a bad employee but it seems the right thing to do in this situation would be to help him out a little. I highly doubt he needs the money to pay for his pool boy.

1,000 dollars for the pool guy ? Who maybe works 5 hours a week. I think not !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is it really going to put you into bankruptcy if you give the guy 1000 dollars?

how about you pay it out of your own pocket? you seem to very forward in spending other people's money for them, how about putting your money where your mouth is?

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
1,000 dollars for the pool guy ? Who maybe works 5 hours a week. I think not !

Whether he works 5 hours or 40 hours the owner should pay him something. I don't know how much he worked in a week, I don't really care but the owner of the pool seems to think the employee was out of line for asking. I think the owner needs to remember how fortunate he is compared to the labour he is using. I used $1000 as if he were paying a monthly salary of $8000RD. Not that much of a stretch really.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks folks. my wife is going with the pool man to the Ministry of Labour, probably tomorrow.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the employee is a domestic worker who resigned. legally not entitled to any liquidation apart from holiday pay and proportion of the xmas salary. why pay more that you have to? do you pay more taxes because you can? you double restaurant prices because it is not a big deal? please.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Whether he works 5 hours or 40 hours the owner should pay him something. I don't know how much he worked in a week, I don't really care but the owner of the pool seems to think the employee was out of line for asking. I think the owner needs to remember how fortunate he is compared to the labour he is using. I used $1000 as if he were paying a monthly salary of $8000RD. Not that much of a stretch really.

Oh yes the evil home owner who owes it to the less fortunate to pay up. Perfect example of the entitlement mentallity, ......those who can afford to pay should , right or wrong, why because they can.
Dedir......feel free to donate to the mans upkeep since your such a humanitarian, get the info from the o.p and support the man. Practice what you preach, or do you only spend other peoples money ?

drescape24

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
the employee is a domestic worker who resigned. legally not entitled to any liquidation apart from holiday pay and proportion of the xmas salary. why pay more that you have to? do you pay more taxes because you can? you double restaurant prices because it is not a big deal? please.
He's sick and cant continue to work, this isnt even the same thing as paying taxes or double the price for a meal. If I get good service at a restuarant I give a bigger tip, but I don't pay double for the price of the meal. This is about having the opportunity to help someone who might actually need it and rewarding him for the service he has given over the last 5 years. Its the right thing to do. Sorry you don't feel the same way.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Oh yes the evil home owner who owes it to the less fortunate to pay up. Perfect example of the entitlement mentallity, ......those who can afford to pay should , right or wrong, why because they can.
Dedir......feel free to donate to the mans upkeep since your such a humanitarian, get the info from the o.p and support the man. Practice what you preach, or do you only spend other peoples money ?

drescape24

I absolutely practice what I preach. Im not a millionaire or philanthropist but when I can, I help.
No I don't think he is entitled to everything. If the guy was a bad employee then he shouldn't pay him but if his condition is genuine and he valued him as an employee why wouldn't he pay him?

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I wouldnt pay him anything unless he is really sick, and realy has to quit. But hey you arent sure of anything and he is the one that quits.

And im sorry but for most people from the barrio i dont feel so sorry, complaining about money but spending it in the colmado/bar everynight on alcohol and such. Walking with a BB,iphone,...
I stay at home every night a drink in my home costs me nothing. I concider that a stupid argument stated before, having to pay up cuz you the lucky one with the pool.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

drescape24

Classic !! 5 star post.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
sorry you cannot feel the same way about the employer. he is not responsible for his employees. he has his own family to care for.

Correct me if Im wrong but isn't every employer responsible for their employees?
Now the owner is struggling to take care of his own family? Maybe his DR1 friends can all chip in to help? Oh wait...everyone for themselves around here it seems....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Correct me if Im wrong but isn't every employer responsible for their employees?

i think you might have misspelled "mother". employer pays a salary as obliged by the contract. as soon as the contract is over so is the obligation.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Now the owner is struggling to take care of his own family? Maybe his DR1 friends can all chip in to help? Oh wait...everyone for themselves around here it seems....

No! Unless he was hurt performing his job. Even then there's boundaries. How about people are responsible for themselves and rely on family not the state or another person forced charity on others.
Again show us how you chip in. Have you sent an email to the o.p.?

drescape24