Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Living in the DR VS Vacation home.

For me it has always been about having a vacation home. 6 months in and 6 months out. I have never understood the need to be here full time.explain how you moved here and live in a dominican neighbourhood. Don't need to explain if you speak spanish and have Latina/Latino background.
    How does a non speaking person move here and start a new life? Are you a throw back hippy nutter?

2. Likes Harleysrock, DOC1727 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

firstly, I live in RD about 7 months.... all winter, 6-7 weeks in July/Aug and a few other 'quick hits'.

I have learned a modicum of Spanish... how do you handle 6 mos w/o language?

I am not in a tourist zone - very few English speakers.
    I want to talk to my workers - for them to understand me, foe me to hear their problems .... for everything.

For your one sentence answer to
    'How does a non speaking person.............'

they don't.... or shouldn't
    take your pick

Hippy nutter?
    the farthest thing from it!!!!!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want that to sound harsh... but are you really sure this is where you want to be? RD?

without a bit of the language, it can be a long day..... confusing, tiring, frustrating.... long list.

I am very tired at night... it like taking 4 exams in one day -
    all that thinking, translating in the head from Span to Eng and back.
    enervating to say the least.

BUT, it keeps your mind active, pushes back dementia..

I just think you're choosing a rough road if you can't get some grip on the language
    or choose another country.... Bahamas comes to mind
    close to USA, English speaking, fast access for land/home buyers.

Anyway.......ultimately, your choice

I know, I know......... you asked not get this type of response

Permiso.......

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It is harder not being able to speak Spanish living here but I am learning..slowly. It is amazing how much you can communicate not knowing a language. I understand mostly what people are getting at but getting it to leave my mouth is another story!
    I know many non speaking spanish peeps who live here, it's up to them if they want to learn. You don't have to but it sure helps A LOT!
    I'm not a hippy but a nutter for sure :-)
    I actually like the adventure not really knowing what is going on half the time and I will eventually pick it up. It does help that my wife speaks Spanish pretty well.

If I had a lot of money I would probably do 9 months here and 3 months elsewhere. 6 months in a civilized Country sounds like too much to me!

6. Likes jstarebel, Contango liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Contango is 6 & 6 already....

in reality, he's doing fine... no need to do anything.... move

why not just keep doing 6/6?
    12 months here would not be doable for me....

too tough

I'm closer to 8 when I do the math - but well broken up for sanity.

8. Likes Harleysrock, Contango liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    It is harder not being able to speak Spanish living here but I am learning..slowly. It is amazing how much you can communicate not knowing a language. I understand mostly what people are getting at but getting it to leave my mouth is another story!
    I know many non speaking spanish peeps who live here, it's up to them if they want to learn. You don't have to but it sure helps A LOT!
    I'm not a hippy but a nutter for sure :-)
    I actually like the adventure not really knowing what is going on half the time and I will eventually pick it up. It does help that my wife speaks Spanish pretty well.

If I had a lot of money I would probably do 9 months here and 3 months elsewhere. 6 months in a civilized Country sounds like too much to me!
    therein lies the problem w/ many...

they're here b/c they can't afford to be anywhere else.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    therein lies the problem w/ many...

they're here b/c they can't afford to be anywhere else.

Yep.. Then you have those that like feeling superior to others and choose the DR to try and be the big fish in a small pond.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Today was really hard not speaking Spanish, our guard we used when we first moved here, 16 month yr old died today and it was horrific seeing that lil body in a see through coffin and the mother yelling and crying hysterically. It was her only child and she is only 17. We stayed for hours and I did my best but I would have really loved to have said more.
    The whole Barrio was a disaster.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    Yep.. Then you have those that like feeling superior to others and choose the DR to try and be the big fish in a small pond.
    i see you noticed....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I also don't get how can someone move to another country where they have no family and leave everything behind, it always has made me wonder what type of person does this and then brag on how they live big in the DR but, can't afford frequent trips back and/or have a second home. Only in the DR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast