Living in the DR VS Vacation home.

Sep 4, 2012
No Harley, nice try, however; think about it, Cold CA vs free fraught environment in the DR?

You chose wisely, nothing can't beat the easy of bribing :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The reason to come back here was because first she and in someway myself neither were happy in my home country. However many probably can confirm that once you leave your country for an extended period of time you don't find your homeland anymore. Conclusion is that probably we should be there where our children have more possibilities and where I can better provide for them. At this very moment the answer to the latter is probably 'here in DR' but trying to look long term I think that staying in Europe would have been smarter.

I definitely wouldn't stay in DR for the typical Dominican way of life.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On a practical note Contango, leaving your current home country will negate your residency there.... any plans on a residency - thinking ahead.?

Have you already got Dominican residency?

I have found that having cars in two countries calls for two licences.
Cdn insurers demanded a Cdn licence from me...

Small things to consider , but considerations nonetheless.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
For me it has always been about having a vacation home. 6 months in and 6 months out. I have never understood the need to be here full time.explain how you moved here and live in a dominican neighbourhood. Don't need to explain if you speak spanish and have Latina/Latino background.
How does a non speaking person move here and start a new life? Are you a throw back hippy nutter?

Some people get tired of the everyday hustle of climbing the corporate ladder only to one day realize that they are working themselves to death and then ask themselves what for? House, two cars, maybe a dog and to keep up with the Jones'?? To some, what would be classified as "the American dream" is a coffin.. Here you are stuck in your own little spot in this great big world working to aquire as much wealth amd materialistic items as you can, so later on in life you have your own place to sit back and enjoy the remainder of your life while you wait for death.. Some people see it this way and make the decision that the classic description of what life is about that has been programmed into every single American just doesn't fit and they prefer living life to just going through it. For some, life is an adventure to be lived and not just in the confines of their own country.

Some of us come for the sailing, called by the allure of the sea, trying to find what was ailing, living in the land of the free. Some of them are running from lovers, leaving no forward address, some are running tons of ganga, some are running from the IRS. But late at night you will find us.. In the cheap hotels and bars.. Hustling a little chica as they dance beneath the stars!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that old retirement dream may be just that , rebellious one...... a dream.

reading the stats these days infers that a comfortable retirement will not be possible for many people - they'll need to keep working to keep paying the bills.

you may be right - throw it out the window and follow your nose - and your dreams.