Voip

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
Hi All,

Is anyone besides me having poor reception with Vonage or any other voip? I get my DSL from Claro and it seems like the past few weeks most calls have been bad.

Ken

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use Vonage with a cable modem. Generally speaking it works well. The only issues I have with Vonage is in calling DR cell phones, from time to time I need to call customer service to fix a bug regarding DR cell phones.
US and DR land lines are not a problem.

I suspect the problem is with your DSL line. I switched from Claro DSL and would never go back to them for DSL.

Feb 7, 2007
G729 codec will require only 16 kbps (which most alternative VOIp providers use), and G711ulaw/alaw (which companies like MagicJack and Vonage use) will require only 64 kbps.

256 kbps is acceptable if you DO NOT do anything on the Internet while making pone call. But 500 kbps should be the target so you can also check mail and browse huffington post while being on hold (using voip).

More important than 256 kbps bandwidth is jitter and latency.

If you have low upload rate you absolutely should have top notch router and proper port forwarding specified, even if not required (it will just speed things up, and can make slight difference)

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Vonage has always worked great for me. You need to buy a decent internet package though.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
G729 codec will require only 16 kbps (which most alternative VOIp providers use), and G711ulaw/alaw (which companies like MagicJack and Vonage use) will require only 64 kbps.

256 kbps is acceptable if you DO NOT do anything on the Internet while making pone call. But 500 kbps should be the target so you can also check mail and browse huffington post while being on hold (using voip).

More important than 256 kbps bandwidth is jitter and latency.

If you have low upload rate you absolutely should have top notch router and proper port forwarding specified, even if not required (it will just speed things up, and can make slight difference)

I don't dispute your knowledge of these systems,but Vongage has told me that they want the user to have 1 Mbit/s transfer rates which would mean Ken is under what they recommend for speeds.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't dispute your knowledge of these systems,but Vongage has told me that they want the user to have 1 Mbit/s transfer rates which would mean Ken is under what they recommend for speeds.

Well, that's logical, because in the US it is unusual to stop doing all internet activity in order to make/receive VOIP call.
U.S. households would o browsing, streaming, file transfers etc. all at the same time, that's why they suggest 1 mbps upstream, so the voice quality is not affected. But with no activity, little jitter and delay and short round trip times, even 256 kbps is good for Vonage.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
expensive... try Wholesale VoIP Termination & SIP Trunking | Voicebuy VoIP Provider
You can start with $25 prepaid via Skrill or US$500 via Paypal. It lasts me almost a year, so cheap are their rates. And they have 3 rate plans - premium plus, premium, and standard, you can chose which one to use

Great rates, one of the lowest I found. However, DV8, look into one of Betamax clones. With 10 Euro deposit every 90-120 days you get up to 300 minutes of free calls every week to most European destinations (landlines) and to USA, Canada (both - mobile and landlines). Compare the rates here -
betamax price comparison
I have been using them for approx 10 years now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How about Ooma? Will Ooma work to call the DR?

I know someone in the DR that uses Ooma and they like it, but most systems require special plans to call DR telephones.

I use an international Vonage plan that includes monthly minutes to DR cell phones while land line calls are not limited.

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
The Vonage online tech help say that my internet speed is OK and the problem seems to be with settings with the Claro modem, they could not make changes online and I need to call Claro.....seems strange that I have had that modem for a year and never had a problem till recently and the problem is intermittent. I think a service call to Claro will be the next step. I have had Vonage for 9 years w/o a problem, why should it go nuts now?

Feb 7, 2007
thanks rubio. i will send this to miesposo. we've had inphonex for years, maybe it's time for a change.

And that would be $50 via Paypal, not 500

P.S. You can use any VOIP adapter, I have been using Linksys Pap2 for years now... but any VOIP adapter is fine, even softphone. They also have mobile APP so you can use the VOIP service when on the go, with your smartphone. But I downloaded a paid app, Acrobits VOIP softphone app, and configured it with Voicebuy. It worked very well last year over 3G in Colombia, practically all calls I made from cell were via VOIP (Voicebuy over Acrobits VOIP app) with 3G data plan, though the 3G speeds in DR are not so good for VOIP.

P.S-2. Don't be put off by"wholesale" wording on their website. A retail account, with 25/50 dollar top-ups is quite sufficient, and you get the same rates and services and features of a wholesale account. And if you want to "resell" the minutes to friends and neighbors, you can even make some money off it :)

Last edited:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
The Vonage online tech help say that my internet speed is OK and the problem seems to be with settings with the Claro modem, they could not make changes online and I need to call Claro.....seems strange that I have had that modem for a year and never had a problem till recently and the problem is intermittent. I think a service call to Claro will be the next step. I have had Vonage for 9 years w/o a problem, why should it go nuts now?

Claro techs will not help you. Most of them do not know much about configuring modems, port forwarding and the like. The problem may your Vonage adapter (VoIP box). Nothing works forever, especially here. Try it from another place (other internet connection). If you see a difference - it is your internet connection then. If no difference - it is the adapter.