Aussi looking for the right lil beach town, culture, beauty, food n dance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulla

Apr 18, 2015
Hi there! I have never posted in a forum before... So hope I'm not too off topic :)

I am looking to purchase a small villa in DR so I can visit regularly. I travel from Australia to the Caribbean each year because I love the many cultures of the islands and would like a base where I can make friends and learn more about Dominican life.

I can visit 3 places on my next trip in July, in search of my new home. Because It takes me 3 days travel to get to DR i try to do as much research as possible before hand- any advice about a town that you think might suit me would be much appreciated!!

About me:
-30s
- interested in art, culture, Caribbean food, music and social justice issues
- will stay in DR for at least 4 months of the year to relax, explore, would like to volunteer for local community run NGO and go dancing. I would rent the villa out the rest if the year

Things important to me:

- Beauty - clean beaches and green forests
- respectful relationships between ex-pats and locals, i want to get along with everyone
- not a high rate of sex trafficking
- some night life
- the ability to rent the villa out when I am in Australia
- restaurants and beach bars selling local food

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
Hola Lulla,

I would recommend Cabarete, its a tiny town but has a good vibe. Compared to other places there is a big bohemian vibe to it, there are a lot of ex pats.. some are nice some not so much, but its like that everywhere. Cabarete is more focused on surfing and kitesurf so it a more nicer and cleaner atmosphere... let me know if you have any more questions :)
CHEERS! :bunny::bunny:

-A

Lulla

Apr 18, 2015
Thank you Antonia! I have been looking at some lovely properties in cabarete but have read that the sex trafficking is very in your face and with very young women, which I do understand is a consequence of circumstances and happens in many tourist areas - but you don't feel it has affected the vibe too much?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
...and social justice issues

You'll fit right in, in Cabarete. Lots of Liberal Arts degree holding worriers of social justice.

Beauty - clean beaches and green forests
You'll get that pretty much anywhere. Some beaches are dirty and full of garbage, some are awesome. Some are calm, some are rough. And they can all be within 5 miles of each other.
respectful relationships between ex-pats and locals, i want to get along with everyone
Not really sure what you mean here, but you'll find less 'tension', shall we say, the farther you move inland, and away from the touristy areas.
not a high rate of sex trafficking
Don't go out at night, especially in Sosua. I've never had a problem, and I do go out at night, in Sosua
some night life
Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata all have night life. Car Washes in the Campo are the most fun
the ability to rent the villa out when I am in Australia
Get a rental agency, never leave your place alone, and don't expect to make a profit
restaurants and beach bars selling local food
Probably better off in Sosua for that, Cab is mostly pricey expat food. Go a little East or West, and you'll find plenty of little shops selling chicken, fish, rice and beans.

And one other thing... Rent for a year before you buy!

Lots of good neighborhoods between Sosua and Cab. That way you get the best of both worlds, and a short trip to most anything. But rent, then look, then buy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LTSteve clearly has slept in today so let me take his place........

Have a good look at Las Terranas/Samana area...

As for your travel from Australia, I did that for my daughter when she was in Sydney
All things considered, we went through NYC.....
and NYC has direct flights to the Samana airport (AZS)

Samana is more multi cultural (IMO) than the Sos/Cab area

good luck

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi there! I have never posted in a forum before... So hope I'm not too off topic :)

I am looking to purchase a small villa in DR so I can visit regularly. I travel from Australia to the Caribbean each year because I love the many cultures of the islands and would like a base where I can make friends and learn more about Dominican life.

I can visit 3 places on my next trip in July, in search of my new home. Because It takes me 3 days travel to get to DR i try to do as much research as possible before hand- any advice about a town that you think might suit me would be much appreciated!!

About me:
-30s
- interested in art, culture, Caribbean food, music and social justice issues
- will stay in DR for at least 4 months of the year to relax, explore, would like to volunteer for local community run NGO and go dancing. I would rent the villa out the rest if the year

Things important to me:

- respectful relationships between ex-pats and locals, i want to get along with everyone
- some night life

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I would recommend Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula. Check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast thread. I would not recommend that you buy anything if you are not going live in the DR full time. If you do buy then buy an apartment in a gated community. Security is the #1 Priority here. If you buy a free standing home and are not there for 8 months of the year the odds are you will be broken in to. Another thing to condsider in coming to the DR is residency. You will need to apply for temporary residency. This begins with getting documents together in your home country and then highering a lawyer in the DR to get you through the process. Still interested? Come to the DR and rent for a couple of 4 month stays and then you will get the feel of really living on an island in a diffferent culture.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
A good choice: Saman?

The Saman? peninsula is one - if not the most - beautiful part of the country.
The beaches and the ocean are (still) clean, unless you look at them during the 'semana loca'.
The hills (up to about 1,500 ft. MSL) provide for rainfall and a lush tropical vegetation.
(This is where we live as the climate is better, too.)

-respectful relationships between ex-pats and locals...
- some night life

Las Terrenas would suit you.
The town has a relatively high share of expats (French, Italians, German speaking nationalities...) which broadens the local cultural life (restaurants, shops, galleries, night life, etc.).
Renting out is possible. I'd go for the high end tourist clientele who'd appreciate on site staff (cook, maid, chauffeur) and a complimentary car. I know someone who is doing that with success.

Sex trafficking? I am told, it does exist. Having lived here for 20 years, I know that you can stay away from it.

donP

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sex trafficking? I am told, it does exist. Having lived here for 20 years, I know that you can stay away from it... :rolleyes:

donP

I am not really sure why a few chicas plying their wares for spending money to feed their family is considered "Sex Trafficking"? Agreed, you can just ignore it, nobody forces you to partake in their goodies.

a.ec

Apr 18, 2015
it sounds like what you are looking for, at least people wise, cabarete fits the bill mote than most. while las terrenas does as well, cab i find has more to offer overall. there are some really nice areas north and south of town that you can find a decent spread, just depends on exact?y what youre looking for. also, as far as an ngo, im actually in the process of getting an environmental related one up and running, with local support, so feel free to shoot me a pm or whatever. i should be back in cab myself within the next few weeks, just wrapping some things up in the states first and gotta dj a few parties before i bounce. cheers man.

Lulla

Apr 18, 2015
Thank u

I would not recommend that you buy anything if you are not going live in the DR full time. If you do buy then buy an apartment in a gated community. Security is the #1 Priority here. If you buy a free standing home and are not there for 8 months of the year the odds are you will be broken in to.

Thanks for your prompt replies! What a great site.

I visited Las Terranes briefly and thought it was breath taking, so will spend more time there and also some time in cabarete.

In regards to the above advice- I have noticed quite a few properties on sites like AirBnB are owned by foreigners who hire property management companies to look after them when they are not in town - do you still thnk this is risky?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Do not forget the 'sankies'.

I am not really sure why a few chicas plying their wares for spending money to feed their family is considered "Sex Trafficking"?

In order to be PC and respect 'equal opportunity' (for the OP?) we'll have to include the 'sankies'...

:laugh:

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
?Tambo?, IF ONLY, they did it to ?Feed Their Families?, and not the drug habits of themselves, and their ?PIMPS?!!!!!

THat Said, boy am I glad they DO!!!!!!

When I was in Kings Cross Sydney, I had sex workers pestering me at every turn!!!!
THAT's why,Iĺl NEVER visit Australia AGAIN!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If ?Sex Workers" in beach towns bother you, better visit Antarctica!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT the DR!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lulla

Apr 18, 2015
?Tambo?, IF ONLY, they did it to ?Feed Their Families?, and not the drug habits of themselves, and their ?PIMPS?!!!!!

THat Said, boy am I glad they DO!!!!!!

When I was in Kings Cross Sydney, I had sex workers pestering me at every turn!!!!
THAT's why,Iĺl NEVER visit Australia AGAIN!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If ?Sex Workers" in beach towns bother you, better visit Antarctica!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT the DR!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Thanks guys.... Didn't mean to start a thread about the politics of the sex trade and understand the worlds oldest profession is practised everywhere - including Aus. I'm just going by what I have read in other forums that say that it's very prominent in areas like Sousa and some female travellers found it challenging but guess I'll just visit n find out for myself

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Simply mentioning Sosua will start a thread about the politics of the sex trade.

some female travellers found it challenging

Why would female travelers find it challenging? The putas are going after male Gringos.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Demand exceeding supply

...the sex trade (...) and some female travellers found it challenging ...

Of course, they would find it challenging... at times there are not enough 'sankies' for the gringas' demand....

:laugh:

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just come and enjoy your visit!!!!!
Lots of things to do.
Leave the ?Sex Trade"workers to ME!!!!!!!!!
If they bother you, get their phone #'s, send them to me!
That's why I'm HERE!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
You could also try Juan Dolio on the south coast. Close to Santo Domingo and Punta Cana = more flight options. Some nice safe gated comunities there.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Juan Dolio for four months = no way.
Cabarete for a short vacation = sure. Cabarete for four months = no, too many tourists.
By far the Samana Peninsula offers to tick off most of your boxes on your list. Sex is everywhere but not so in your face in the Peninsula. Mountains, waterfalls, fabulous beaches are the cornerstones of the Samana Peninsula. Las Terensas as a base is good.
BUT. RENT, don't buy. Too much can and does go wrong.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, Lulla. Here are some good local projects you could contact to offer your services as a volunteer:

Las Galeras, Saman? - Proyecto Guariquen - info from Las Mariposas | Las Galeras, Samana
Las Terrenas, Saman? - Fundaci?n Mahatma Gandhi - Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi
Cabarete - Dream Project The DREAM Project | Dominican Republic
Punta Cana/B?varo - Colibr? Partners Colibri Partners - Welcome

All these areas also have animal welfare groups that welcome volunteers, e.g. Rescatame in B?varo. About Us

Status
Not open for further replies.