house of a dutch lady in sosua robbed

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
La Mulata has always been known for robberies i`ve been here for 20 years and that was the first advice i got was not to live there

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Are these criminals addicted to hard drugs or just the average Joe trying to feed the family?

I suspect hard core drug addicts.

Hard to say. Sometimes its the guy who just repaired the fence or leaking faucet.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Are these criminals addicted to hard drugs or just the average Joe trying to feed the family?

I suspect hard core drug addicts.
Does it really matter? A thief is lower than snake poop,regardless of why they are a thief.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah things could have gotten a lot worse very quickly. Poor soul, you can imagine how traumatic this would have been ?

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
la mulata is the whipping-boy of the north coast.
it is the largest expat community thereabouts & not gated, therefore it is a target for thieves looking for an easy score.
having said that, there are very few purely opportunistic burglaries, they happen because the victim usually has "let their guard down" sometime & presented the thief with a tempting opportunity.

Jul 28, 2014
they happen because the victim usually has "let their guard down" sometime & presented the thief with a tempting opportunity.

Not so, my friends lived in there, and someone actually pulled the Power lines out at the box, to, I assume, get ready to gank their place, luckily enough, the husband had the balls to reconnect it. Needless to say, after having chatted to others about robberies and such, they didn't stay long...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
La Mulata has always been known for robberies i`ve been here for 20 years and that was the first advice i got was not to live there

I'm really surprised those neighborhoods aren't vacant. Within a couple days of searching the Sosua area for properties, I was well aware of the high level of crime in the La Mulatas. Everyone knows, they may as well put up a bill board at the entrance.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I would not live in la Mulata even if you pay me to live there.... I prefer to live on my own, not with a whole bunch of expats that you know nothing about, and that way being able to control what's going on around my house...

Most of the people in Sabaneta who know me, they know that the gringa is not "rich".... she walks and takes the guagua like everybody else... no big SUV or car in the driveway... and she means business regarding her safety...

So I feel safe... but don't forget, I'm not stupid... My Rule no. 1: TRUST NO ONE....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
they are not vacant because folks who live there cannot sell and have no money to go somewhere else.

i drove through that place once, to see what all the discussions were about. though i have sympathy for the poor folks who bought houses there, i am still trying to understand how they could have.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
I would not live in la Mulata even if you pay me to live there.... I prefer to live on my own, not with a whole bunch of expats that you know nothing about, and that way being able to control what's going on around my house...

Most of the people in Sabaneta who know me, they know that the gringa is not "rich".... she walks and takes the guagua like everybody else... no big SUV or car in the driveway... and she means business regarding her safety...

So I feel safe... but don't forget, I'm not stupid... My Rule no. 1: TRUST NO ONE....

You don't be to be rich to live on La Mulata - do not think anyone on La Mulata is rich

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
You don't be to be rich to live on La Mulata - do not think anyone on La Mulata is rich

Maybe not but I think other people (tugs) thinks that you are richer than "regular folks" otherwise they would not waste their time robbing people of la Mulata on a regular basis....

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Maybe not but I think other people (tugs) thinks that you are richer than "regular folks" otherwise they would not waste their time robbing people of la Mulata on a regular basis....

"Rich" is a relative concept down here.
Just like "soon", "finished", and "borrow".