Hola! Pre-planning a move, but not a retiree.

Lizzys

Feb 17, 2016
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, reading and researching before joining and posting.

I'll try to keep a long story short -
I'm fairly young (< 30), working as a full time graphic and web developer, as well as freelance wedding and event photographer based out of North Carolina. I grew up with a mother who loved the Caribbean, so am fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel to 18 different islands. Somewhere along the way, I got it in my head that I wanted to move there. My most recent adventure was to Punta Cana, and while I usually fall in love with the scenery, here I fell in love with the people. Of all the islands I've been to, I've never met so many with a consistently positive and happy attitude, and as such it has put RD at the top of my list of where in the Caribbean I'd like to move.

So far, I've found plenty of research and stories about retirees that have successfully and happily relocated, but I haven't found many with relate-able situations. Are there others out there who have wanted to or have successfully moved and found a job? If so, were you able to secure a job beforehand? As far as jobs go in the US, it's typically hard to get a job unless you're already located in the area... can you even obtain a residency visa without knowing/having a place of work first?

I'm aware that I'm in the "honeymoon" phase with Punta Cana - and my skills also appear to be in higher demand in Santo Domingo. How much different are the two? I would definitely make a return trip before accepting anything there, but am curious if I should expect a completely different reception than the Punta Cana treatment.

As an aside, I do know intermediate level Spanish and was able to converse (albeit very slowly) with locals during my visit.

I have loads more questions, but I'll try to reserve some for when I'm further in the planning process. Preferably, I don't need the, "I'd advise you not to..." or "Have you considered the power outages, the heat, the water shortages (and process for how to properly boil it)..."s. I've done enough research to be past unrealistic expectations and still would take life there over the monotony of America any day.

Thank you all for any input you may have!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

The Punta Cana/Bavaro area is a series of communities primarily geared towards tourism. Lots and lots of resorts and supporting infrastructure. Great roads and power, can get expensive in some areas.

Santo Domingo is the "big city" in the DR. It has areas that cater to tourists, but it is largely a "normal" metropolis of several million people.

They are very, very different places.

Personally, I'd encourage you to try a number of locations, perhaps a week or so in both. Also, consider Santiago (a smaller city, very livable and affordable, more temperate climate, but no beach), and Las Terrenas (relatively sophisticated euro-based expat community, some of the prettiest scenery in the caribbean.

As far as work, I think you have the right idea insofar as much of what you do is or can be based done with your computer. It's far easier to develop a business earning US income and run it in the DR, than it is to find a DR business that will pay US wages.

Finally, if your interest has something to do with a person you met there, tread carefully. You said you did your research, so you know the pitfalls. Be careful.

Good luck!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
In relation to the question asked by Lizzy , yes the difference between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo is great because in PC, the overwhelming industry is tourism and people in it are multi lingual. A small minority of people in SD speak English and even less French so you need to improve your spanish because people who speak spanish and english well are very employable . You do not say in what industry you have your talents but the capial has many businesses in retailing, the financial sector and the manufacturing sector and the fashion industry and the film,video and communications industries. Salaries are not what you will find in the USA or Europe...they are reserved for politicians .
It is an esy place to live in if you have good airconditioning as there are good restaurants, tennis and social clubs and so on. Come on try and see basis .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the OP. If you need to make your money locally, please consider other options. If you can work on line and maintain clients that pay first world rates, that is great.
If you have to look for jobs here in the DR at your age, I would not recommend it.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Welcome to Dr1 and good luck on your move. The more money you can earn on line the easier life will be.
Good luck.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Off topic posts deleted.

Virgo, you are getting to be a royal pain!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, reading and researching before joining and posting.

I'll try to keep a long story short -
I'm fairly young (< 30), working as a full time graphic and web developer, as well as freelance wedding and event photographer based out of North Carolina. I grew up with a mother who loved the Caribbean, so am fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel to 18 different islands. Somewhere along the way, I got it in my head that I wanted to move there. My most recent adventure was to Punta Cana, and while I usually fall in love with the scenery, here I fell in love with the people. Of all the islands I've been to, I've never met so many with a consistently positive and happy attitude, and as such it has put RD at the top of my list of where in the Caribbean I'd like to move.

So far, I've found plenty of research and stories about retirees that have successfully and happily relocated, but I haven't found many with relate-able situations. Are there others out there who have wanted to or have successfully moved and found a job? If so, were you able to secure a job beforehand? As far as jobs go in the US, it's typically hard to get a job unless you're already located in the area... can you even obtain a residency visa without knowing/having a place of work first?

I'm aware that I'm in the "honeymoon" phase with Punta Cana - and my skills also appear to be in higher demand in Santo Domingo. How much different are the two? I would definitely make a return trip before accepting anything there, but am curious if I should expect a completely different reception than the Punta Cana treatment.

As an aside, I do know intermediate level Spanish and was able to converse (albeit very slowly) with locals during my visit.

I have loads more questions, but I'll try to reserve some for when I'm further in the planning process. Preferably, I don't need the, "I'd advise you not to..." or "Have you considered the power outages, the heat, the water shortages (and process for how to properly boil it)..."s. I've done enough research to be past unrealistic expectations and still would take life there over the monotony of America any day.

Thank you all for any input you may have!!

Ok, let me read between the lines. You went to Punta Cana. I'm guessing to an all-inclusive? Nothing wrong
with that but that is so far from reality. Yes most of the people working at the hotels are very nice and will bend over backwards to keep you happy. That is how they keep their jobs. They earn about $300-400usd a month for sucking up to tourists and putting up with crap from the ones who are drunk at the pool everyday and just in general ___holes. So having said that. Living in the real DR can be quite different. First, I would not move to the DR WITHOUT a U.S. Income. If you work for a Domincan Company you will be paid a Dominican salary which is much much less than what you are used to. So if you can continue your web designing in the DR than I would say you could give it a shot. There are also many weddings that you could offer your services but again many of these are at a resort and they probably will not hire a "gringo" when they have a local who does the same thing. You could advertise over the web and lock in your customers while they are in the planning stages and offer your services. As a 30 year old male in the DR who will be a good catch for any Domincan women. This is where you need to be careful. Many are looking for a guy who will pay their way, get them pregnant and get then married them. Let's review so far.... If you can generate a good salary in U.S. $$$ then consider the move. That is the first major obstacle. Next decide where you want to live? Are you a city person? Country person, beach person, like to hike do outdoor activities or not? Santo Domingo is lot like living in NYC. It is a big, sprawling metro area with very bad traffic and all the problems of a big city. It is also the area of most business opportunity. Punta Cana is the busiest tourist hub in the country and caters to foreigners on vacation. The Samana Peninsual on the Northest coast is very eco-friendly and some of the most beautiful scenery and beaches in the country. Las Terrenas located there has a large European population, including thousands of French, Germans and Italians along with Americans and Canadians and of course, Haitians and Dominicans. This is a great area for restaurants and services geared to the Europeans. You really need to come to the DR for 2-4 weeks and stay at a hotel that is not an all-inclusive and experience what it is like to go to a supermarket, interact with people and use your language skills. The thing you have to remember is once you move permanently to the DR it is difficult for you to move back to the states. In addition for you to work legally here you need to apply for residency. That process starts in your home state. You will need copies of your birth certificate, passport, bank statements, criminal background check(conducted by state police, including fingerprints) and other documents. These need to be translated into Spanish and authorized by the closest Dominican Consulate. Once these are all in order and approved you bring them with you to the DR and higher an attorney that will assist in the submitting your documents and getting medical testing, urine sample, blood sample and chest x-ray done in Santo Domingo at Immigration Dept. This process take 6months to a year to complete and will cost your about $100-1500usd. Are you still ready to give up your current lifestyle for the DR? You have what we call "island fever" I had it for years. My wife and I and sometimes the kids travelled to the DR for 30 years before we bought a condo. I had it for 6 years before my plans changed and I sold it and live full time again in the States. I would travel to the DR many times to different parts of the country and truely determine if you could live here. If you do this for a few years you will have a better perspective. DO NOT move her because you "met" someone. That is not motivation enough. Consider your options and a plan don't let your emotions enter into this decision. Good luck and good travel.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ok Lizzy.

We need you to start posting responses to the replies.

If not, this one is closed.

Lizzys

Feb 17, 2016
Thank you all for the responses and welcomes so far!

To address a few concerns -- I'm happily married and my husband is a fellow Caribbean-lover that will be going with me, so no, I didn't meet anyone there motivating me. As I said, I've been to numerous places and have had my mind set on a Caribbean relocation for a while (~5 years... comfort in job kept winning over where I'd actually rather be), it was the people that stood out to me in particular at DR. It was an all-inclusive, but I have been to plenty of those, and the treatment in DR was still above and beyond - both in and out of the hotel. Regardless, I am aware that another trip to DR would have to be in the works before relocation. I've already begun collecting the necessary documents to apply for a visa - I know the move itself is not going to happen overnight, which is why I'm starting now.

I'm unsure of what the job situation will look like, which is why I posed the question. Currently, I work 2 days from a home office and 3 days in an actual office (for the same company). I'm considered an in-house designer, and I haven't discussed if the company would be open to allowing me to work entirely remotely yet. Not hugely keen on bringing up the topic until I'm further in the process, as they have a history of letting go of people who express a desire to leave. I definitely appreciate the responses in this regard though, since it sounds like I will need to be dependent on a US income. Does anyone know what I would be looking at as a typical rate for a DR web designer? (For sake of comparison).

My wedding photography thus far has all been freelance (hired directly by couple), and I'd plan to keep it that way. I'm not sure how well that would go down there with existing competition and inclusive packages through resorts, as mentioned by LTSteve.

As far as where I want to live, I'm definitely a beach person. I've read great things about Las Terrenas, just wasn't sure that would be the best spot if I was in need of a job.

For whatever it's worth, I'm to the point that I'd rather live in the Caribbean working at an Ice Cream shop than continue to live comfortably and monotonously in my current lifestyle.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I know you said you've travelled throughout the Caribbean, but how frequently and for how long?

There is a big difference between a once a year 2 week vacation inside the walls and living in a place. I am sure that you know that, so I would suggest an interim step.

Start structuring your life to progressively spend more and more time where you want to live. I'm a little older than you, but I plan my US life around being in the Caribbean and Latin America for 3-4 times a year for usually a week to two weeks. I return the exact same months to the exact same towns and I never stay in all-inclusive resorts.

The areas always seem to change for me the more trips I take. People get used to me. I get used to the people. I get bolder with my adventures and my complaints. I have less amazing experiences. I notice things that I wouldn't have the first time around. I become tighter with my money. Some locals become less welcoming. Things just always change somehow.

I've had that "This place is awesome. I'm moving here" feeling with Isla Mujeres, Cabo San Lucas, Tamarindo, Tulum, etc., etc. But once I start my return trips, it never fails that I decide to keep living in the US and moving on to a new city or country to visit and repeat the process.

Just a suggestion

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Thank you all for the responses and welcomes so far!

I'm unsure of what the job situation will look like, which is why I posed the question. Currently, I work 2 days from a home office and 3 days in an actual office (for the same company). I'm considered an in-house designer, and I haven't discussed if the company would be open to allowing me to work entirely remotely yet. Not hugely keen on bringing up the topic until I'm further in the process, as they have a history of letting go of people who express a desire to leave. I definitely appreciate the responses in this regard though, since it sounds like I will need to be dependent on a US income. Does anyone know what I would be looking at as a typical rate for a DR web designer? (For sake of comparison).

My wedding photography thus far has all been freelance (hired directly by couple), and I'd plan to keep it that way. I'm not sure how well that would go down there with existing competition and inclusive packages through resorts, as mentioned by LTSteve.

As far as where I want to live, I'm definitely a beach person. I've read great things about Las Terrenas, just wasn't sure that would be the best spot if I was in need of a job.

For whatever it's worth, I'm to the point that I'd rather live in the Caribbean working at an Ice Cream shop than continue to live comfortably and monotonously in my current lifestyle.

OK, if you are really serious, you need to at least get some facts straight. The job situation is non-existent, there is no form of income. We are talking about a place where most of the population would do anything for 10,000 pesos a month (Less than $250) and the quality of work is horrendous. I'm sure that your quality will change the country and people will be willing to pay top dollar, but that may take some time and you knowing how to get things done (measure that in centuries to be conservative).
If you find the people to be warm and happy, then you may be mis-assessing that slightly. You state that working in an ice cream shop would make you happier, but keep in mind most Dominicans would risk life and limb to get to America, and unfortunately you probably couldn't get a job selling ice cream on the beach, that is upper middle class in the DR.
Santo Domingo is not a pretty place, with a lot of crime, and you are a target.
Retirees have a lot of problems here, and you will be bringing way more baggage, and I'm just not sure of the intentions of all those happy and kind locals you have met. They are not all bad, but you're dealing with a very different culture that you don't understand the ethics and morality at all. These are not people living paycheck to paycheck, a lot don't have any paychecks and will more than justify taking advantage of the naive gringos that think they are friendly, they will actually think you deserve what you get for being naive.
If still interested, I have some land and a beautiful house on the North Coast so let me know and what your budget is for living.
Even the most well laid out plans here can go very awry, and yours does not even seem like a plan except you are fed up with the boring life in the states. I hope you find it exciting to sit on the corner outside the colmado drinking rum and then laughing hysterically when someone falls off their motor bike. Otherwise not sure of the entertainment value you are seeking.
This is not camp and a major life decision, you need to get serious and know what you are doing.

Lizzys

Feb 17, 2016
I was hoping my original post would help ease off of some of the harshness - this isn't my first time in a forum, and I feel constently met with the same responses of, "Get serious, this is a major decision, you don't know what you're in for, you don't know what you're doing."

I am young, but not dumb. I've been enough times and to enough different various locations to witness the poverty that many islands are stricken with. I've spent the last 5 years of my life saving money to make relocation possible regardless of whether I have a job or not, but knowing that I am moving somewhere and will maintain a certain income is certainly more comfortable than not knowing if I will even be able to get employment. I'm aware that I'm a target and that they will attempt to charge me more thinking that I don't know and can't calculate the difference between a Dominican Peso and a Dollar, that gas stations are an easy place to get ripped off, that my house and quality in general will not compare with what I'm used to.

And despite all that, yes, I am still interested - that is why I am HERE, seeking the knowledge and input from those of you that have gone through it. This is why the thread is titled "Pre-Planning". This is why I asked the questions I did, seeking the more intricate facts and the things that I probably wouldn't even know/learn of in a month long stay. Before I do return, I want to know what location(s) sound like they even resonate with me, that way I am more informed and can plan to look at houses in a certain area, experience the "real" life. Maybe after a month I make my own decision that I'm not cut out for it, but I can decide that part on my own. There must be good experiences and wonderful things to share - why the seeming intent to run off someone interested?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Lizzy, there are a few people around who make their living via designing websites or programming. Look up the handle "IEatTravelNCode," they seem about your age, and presumably pay the bills using tech.

The most important takeaway is that you will almost certainly do better taking on NA or EU-based contracts (for US-based money) than trying to land Dominican contracts. Remember, materials can be expensive, but labor costs are almost non-existent when compared to American salaries.

That also goes for your spouse, unless they are financially independent.

In terms of "how much does it cost," if you haven't done so already, I'd strongly encourage you to go through the "Living Costs in the DR" thread. It contains some of the best info of its type on the internet.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/112283-Living-Costs-in-the-Dominican-Republic

Best of luck!!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There must be good experiences and wonderful things to share - why the seeming intent to run off someone interested?

I wouldn't take it personally, Lizzy. We have a variety of folks on this board who post actively. The majority mean well, and do try to help. Sometimes they can be a bit harsh, because they've heard and seen a near-endless number of people not plan well and fail. Often, that includes the person giving the criticism as well.

Others use the board as a place to vent frustrations, and when a new person pops up, that presents virgin territory in which to complain about whatever they feel like complaining about today.

My fairly obvious take on things is those who plan well, learn the language, and tread carefully and deliberately in their transition tend to do better than those who don't. They're happy, so they don't really spend their time griping on a board.

As far as doing your research, I'd encourage you to look at general information (like the "living costs" thread I just posted), and then come back with specific questions. There's a wealth of knowledge here, it just takes a bit to tap into it. Be patient, and persistent.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
It is paradise here until you get slapped in the face with a 500 dollar U.S/ electric bill in October because your gringo lungs can't process the 24/7 humidity which has prevented you from sleeping for 5 days so you keep the a.c on.$$$$

Sep 4, 2012
This is the time where I would say "500.00 is common for winter months" where I'm but again, this would be a comparison and thus not allowed. This reply does not exist, it's all on your mind B-Boy.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
I was hoping my original post would help ease off of some of the harshness - this isn't my first time in a forum, and I feel constently met with the same responses of, "Get serious, this is a major decision, you don't know what you're in for, you don't know what you're doing."

I am young, but not dumb. I've been enough times and to enough different various locations to witness the poverty that many islands are stricken with. I've spent the last 5 years of my life saving money to make relocation possible regardless of whether I have a job or not, but knowing that I am moving somewhere and will maintain a certain income is certainly more comfortable than not knowing if I will even be able to get employment. I'm aware that I'm a target and that they will attempt to charge me more thinking that I don't know and can't calculate the difference between a Dominican Peso and a Dollar, that gas stations are an easy place to get ripped off, that my house and quality in general will not compare with what I'm used to.

And despite all that, yes, I am still interested - that is why I am HERE, seeking the knowledge and input from those of you that have gone through it. This is why the thread is titled "Pre-Planning". This is why I asked the questions I did, seeking the more intricate facts and the things that I probably wouldn't even know/learn of in a month long stay. Before I do return, I want to know what location(s) sound like they even resonate with me, that way I am more informed and can plan to look at houses in a certain area, experience the "real" life. Maybe after a month I make my own decision that I'm not cut out for it, but I can decide that part on my own. There must be good experiences and wonderful things to share - why the seeming intent to run off someone interested?

Nobody is saying you are dumb, but you are in a place where many of us were at some point. I can actually closely relate to your saying you would rather sell ice cream on the beach living in paradise rather than stay in the US. Believe it or not, maybe the ones giving you the "harshness" are actually trying to look out for you and scare you straight. Maybe the ones with the positive outlook are more trying to justify there own situation, or think that they are acting in their economic interests by one more sucker spending some money down there. I get this sometimes when talking stocks, and the person thinks that as an individual my advice to them would actually affect the market, which is lunacy, but a little knowledge as they say is a dangerous thing.
In the end if you decide to move to the DR it is your decision and I hope it works out for you. I could get into much harsher examples of what you will experience. You will be a "them" in the DR and the "us" will always side with the "us" and then the advice you will get on this board is reminding you that you are a visitor and made this decision. As corrupt as the justice system may be in the US, you will never imagine what it is like in the DR. When you are in the DR make sure to attend a local meeting on stopping crime, and then you may hear some examples.
Really you need to take care and I hope you make the wise decisions, but it is not until you run into some real adversity that you will realize what you got yourself into, and at that point it could be too late or extremely difficult to get out of your situation, and you will see how your "friends" support you then.
Take care and I hope it works out, no more comments from me on this thread.