Hola! Pre-planning a move, but not a retiree.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thank you all for the responses and welcomes so far!

To address a few concerns -- I'm happily married and my husband is a fellow Caribbean-lover that will be going with me, so no, I didn't meet anyone there motivating me. As I said, I've been to numerous places and have had my mind set on a Caribbean relocation for a while (~5 years... comfort in job kept winning over where I'd actually rather be), it was the people that stood out to me in particular at DR. It was an all-inclusive, but I have been to plenty of those, and the treatment in DR was still above and beyond - both in and out of the hotel. Regardless, I am aware that another trip to DR would have to be in the works before relocation. I've already begun collecting the necessary documents to apply for a visa - I know the move itself is not going to happen overnight, which is why I'm starting now.

I'm unsure of what the job situation will look like, which is why I posed the question. Currently, I work 2 days from a home office and 3 days in an actual office (for the same company). I'm considered an in-house designer, and I haven't discussed if the company would be open to allowing me to work entirely remotely yet. Not hugely keen on bringing up the topic until I'm further in the process, as they have a history of letting go of people who express a desire to leave. I definitely appreciate the responses in this regard though, since it sounds like I will need to be dependent on a US income. Does anyone know what I would be looking at as a typical rate for a DR web designer? (For sake of comparison).

My wedding photography thus far has all been freelance (hired directly by couple), and I'd plan to keep it that way. I'm not sure how well that would go down there with existing competition and inclusive packages through resorts, as mentioned by LTSteve.

As far as where I want to live, I'm definitely a beach person. I've read great things about Las Terrenas, just wasn't sure that would be the best spot if I was in need of a job.

For whatever it's worth, I'm to the point that I'd rather live in the Caribbean working at an Ice Cream shop than continue to live comfortably and monotonously in my current lifestyle.

Hi:

Let me start with the last line of your post. Moving to the DR might change your mind set temporarily but coming to live here thinking this is going to solve your problems is not accurate. Yes it will be new and different for a while but then you will find another set of problems to deal with. Working in an ice cream shop at $5 US dollars an hour is not what you want. Living on $5 an hour is impossible unless you want to live in a cement block house with no windowns or doors, no electricity and no running water. Oh yeah, I forgot the part about crime and you being a "gringa" so no one will be overly sympathetic to your situation. DO NOT move to the DR without an income source from North America otherwise suck it up and continue your life as is. Coming to the DR for a couple of weeks at a time and don't stay in all-inclusives. You have not experienced the real "island" life otherwise. Just about everyone dreams of life on a tropical island. You can get there at some point in your life but just remember paradise doesn't come without a price. To live and work in the DR legally you will have to apply for residency. For two people and having an attorney to assist you in the process it will cost you anywhere from $1000-$1500 a person. That is in US dollars. That process starts in your home state where you get the necessary documents and get them to the nearest Domincan Consulate for approval. These documents include, birth certificate, marriage certificate, bank statements, passport copies and a criminal background check done by the state police, which includes digital fingerprinting. It is a complicated process and then you bring all of this to the DR, translated in Spanish and approved by the consulate and turn it over to an attorney to walk you through the next steps. What I am trying to tell you is that there are many hurdles to jump over to get here. In addition, there is a huge learning curve to living in any foreign country. As far as Las Terrenas, this is unlike what you will find in most of the DR. There is a large European population of French, Itlalian and German ex-pats and just about every other European country is also represented here. Las Terrenas has a European flavor but also has a large, spread out town of local Domincan business, along with Haitians who also populate LT. The positives of this is that you have the best of both worlds. You have many services and businesses you may not find in other parts of the DR. The restaurants here are very good. There are many small hotels and only one all-inclusive in the LT area. The bad news is that prices are driven up a little because the Euro is more prevelant than the dollar. Although most things are priced in dollars. Living in Las Terrenas is very interesting. Some of the most beautiful beaches and scenery are found here and on Playa Bonita and Playa Coson. If you are a beach person you will find it wonderful. I would suggest you check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast Thread. You can also go to lasterrenaslive.com. I owned a condo in LT for 6 years. Lived in the DR for about half the year and was in the States for the Spring and Summer months. The summers in the DR are very hot and sticky. I have since sold my condo and live back in the States permanently. My priorities changed and my wife and I decided life in the DR was no longer our dream. Take your time and don't be so impatient. Plan and travel here and check it out. Good luck and good travels

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Hi Lizzy,

Like you, my wife and I are planning our move to DR, which will happen later this year. We are moving there from the UK. Having spent some time travelling all over DR and visiting various towns to see which was right for us, we fell in love with and have actually decided to settle in Las Terrenas.

I run a number of online businesses, mainly in the tech sector and dealing with tech startups in Europe and the US, but also in events, marketing and design. My clients are mainly European but some US and I plan to continue running those businesses from DR. I would be very interested the type of work you do as perhaps there may be some synergies where we might be able to collaborate. If you have an online portfolio, please send me the link via private message. I am always on the lookout for good and creative graphic designers.

As far as all the nay-sayers on this forum, I had exactly the same experience as you. I came on here hoping to get 'helpful' advice, but all I really got was a bunch of: "WATCH OUT!", "You're a gringo and don't know what you are doing", "Stay away!", etc. types of comments. Very few people here are actually helpful and give legitimate and relevant advice. No matter how many times you tell them that you have done your research and that you are only looking for advice on a very specific topic, these muppets can't help themselves and just have to do all they can to put you off your ideas and dreams. My guess, based on what I have read on here, is they do so because they have not been able to make it work for themselves and have moved back to the US and get a bit envious of those that look like they might have a chance at succeeding where they failed.

I'd be more than happy to liaise with you privately so that we can share knowledge and experiences and help each other with our respective moves to DR.

I wish you and your husband all the very best and I am sure you will find exactly the lifestyle you are looking for. You already have the right mindset to do so.

Take care,

Rob :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rob'
I did it without the sage advice from here.... and little to no research other than knowing that there was no minimum stay requirement for residency.

Get the residency, if you like it fine, if not move on --- was my thinking.
That was Jan 2008.

Jumped right into the deep end.... not nearly as difficult as some report.
Check out Cdn Gringo... he's been here 18 months or so after extensive research.
I don't hear him complaining.

The success stories are silent.... as in silent majority , perhaps.

Best of luck

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Hi Lizzy,

Like you, my wife and I are planning our move to DR, which will happen later this year. We are moving there from the UK. Having spent some time travelling all over DR and visiting various towns to see which was right for us, we fell in love with and have actually decided to settle in Las Terrenas.

I run a number of online businesses, mainly in the tech sector and dealing with tech startups in Europe and the US, but also in events, marketing and design. My clients are mainly European but some US and I plan to continue running those businesses from DR. I would be very interested the type of work you do as perhaps there may be some synergies where we might be able to collaborate. If you have an online portfolio, please send me the link via private message. I am always on the lookout for good and creative graphic designers.

As far as all the nay-sayers on this forum, I had exactly the same experience as you. I came on here hoping to get 'helpful' advice, but all I really got was a bunch of: "WATCH OUT!", "You're a gringo and don't know what you are doing", "Stay away!", etc. types of comments. Very few people here are actually helpful and give legitimate and relevant advice. No matter how many times you tell them that you have done your research and that you are only looking for advice on a very specific topic, these muppets can't help themselves and just have to do all they can to put you off your ideas and dreams. My guess, based on what I have read on here, is they do so because they have not been able to make it work for themselves and have moved back to the US and get a bit envious of those that look like they might have a chance at succeeding where they failed.

I'd be more than happy to liaise with you privately so that we can share knowledge and experiences and help each other with our respective moves to DR.

I wish you and your husband all the very best and I am sure you will find exactly the lifestyle you are looking for. You already have the right mindset to do so.

Take care,

You are making money online.............sounds like you may have listened to the people you say are not helpful more than you think

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you can make 90% of the money you need on line, then you can do it. If you need to be a web designer here in the DR for local businesses, then you should remain where you are until you have accumulated enough money to retire.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hi Lizzy,

I gravitated towards the DR and linked up with friends who made the decision to up stakes, leave Canada, and live here. My situation is different from yours. I'm retired, single, and have pensions and other sources of income which makes my moving here less of a risk. I'm also taking it very slowly. I've spent six winters here checking out various towns and property. I've had pressure from some of my friends to bite the bullet and move here full time. I've been able to resist the temptation to do that and approach the move down here pragmatically.

I like the people and the culture here, and being Canadian, the climate here is a definite reason to move here. Pros like that have to be weighed against the cons like, personal security, crime rate, bureaucracy to obtain citizenship, drivers permit, etc. My Espa?ol is very basic and will have to improve a lot more before I move here.

I've developed a circle of DR and non DR friends who help me navigate the everyday life hurdles here, and there are hurdles. My transition will be a measured one. Move from my resort base, rent a condo or house in areas I like, then get comfortable with living here 8 months of the year and drift into living here full time. Only after that will I purchase property full time and apply for residency.

One thing not mentioned by any of the commenters is the current state of the medical system in the DR. Good medical access is available here privately and can be costly so factor that into your decision to move here.

Sort through the information you have been given, and there is good information in a lot of the comments, take your time to mull things over, and keep your options in the US open until your absolutely sure you can move here with minimal risk. Don't be too hard on some of the commentators. A lot of them have your best interests at heart. Since I joined Dr1, they have provided me with excellent information on a number of issues, and have kept me focused and safe.

I come here to escape the winters and enjoy a laid back lifestyle. Reasons very different from yours. I wish you well and hope you make the right decision. The fact that you have a partner will help you cope with the difficulties that arise when you change cultures and countries.

Good Luck.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi Lizzy,

Take care,

Rob:

I agree with many of the statements you have made, however as you know everyones situation is different. In Lizzy's case as I stated in a previous thread, some of her statements were problematic. First, she knows little about the DR and what it would be like to live here. Secondly, she stated that she would work in an ice cream shop to change her lifestyle. At this point she does not have a plan to finance her move. I am not saying that she won't but many people go on vacation to Caribbean and get "Island Fever". Giving up your current life in your home country is a very big step. It is very difficult and expensive to move and then if it doesn't work it will cost you more money to undue everything. Once you are use to a North American or European lifestyle it is difficult to give that up and downgrade in another country. In your case your mobile and you can move your operation without sacrificing a lifestyle change. I owned a condo in LT for about 6 years. My wife and I lived in the DR for about half of each of those years. I really enjoyed living there. Your biggest challenge is to find a place to live that has really good security. That should be your number one priority in the DR. A house out in the countryside is very nice but not the best necessarily the best choice. I owned at Don Cesear which is a gated condo complex. Never had any issues. I had many American and European friends who owned homes and experienced theft. All I am saying is if that is what you want then understand the ramifications. Good luck and good travels.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Rob:

I agree with many of the statements you have made, however as you know everyones situation is different. In Lizzy's case as I stated in a previous thread, some of her statements were problematic. First, she knows little about the DR and what it would be like to live here. Secondly, she stated that she would work in an ice cream shop to change her lifestyle. At this point she does not have a plan to finance her move. I am not saying that she won't but many people go on vacation to Caribbean and get "Island Fever". Giving up your current life in your home country is a very big step. It is very difficult and expensive to move and then if it doesn't work it will cost you more money to undue everything. Once you are use to a North American or European lifestyle it is difficult to give that up and downgrade in another country. In your case your mobile and you can move your operation without sacrificing a lifestyle change. I owned a condo in LT for about 6 years. My wife and I lived in the DR for about half of each of those years. I really enjoyed living there. Your biggest challenge is to find a place to live that has really good security. That should be your number one priority in the DR. A house out in the countryside is very nice but not the best necessarily the best choice. I owned at Don Cesear which is a gated condo complex. Never had any issues. I had many American and European friends who owned homes and experienced theft. All I am saying is if that is what you want then understand the ramifications. Good luck and good travels.

@LTSteve:

Of course people need to do their due diligence and be aware of as many of the potential issues that may arise from making such a big change in their lives and it is very decent of people to give useful and relevant advice. However, on this DR1 forum, it always seems to be the same old usual suspects who are intent on being negative about a place they supposedly love and support by spouting a whole heap of nonsense about the country and 9 times out of 10 it has no bearing on what the original poster was asking for help with....Lizzy's query is a perfect case in point. She EXPRESSLY stated that she was well aware of all the usual things to watch out for and asked for advice and suggestions on a very specific topic. Yet, as usual, the regular bunch of negative nancies decided to wade in with their ridiculous and unrequested commentary on how bad and dangerous DR is for anyone who is not a native and who hasn't spent a least 2 decades travelling back and forth to the island testing every single power socket and motoconcho on the island to the Nth degree as if that is the only possible way someone could make a properly informed decision as to whether or not to move to such a backward and wayward part of the world. Utter poppycock! Sure, by all means give advice, but make it relevant and TRUTHFUL, rather than an onslaught of unfounded and most likely outdated (it seems that a lot of these comments are coming from people that left DR some time ago) prejudiced views.

From what I read on here, you Steve, generally post helpful advice, so my diatribe is not aimed at you personally, but the same cannot be said for a large portion of the 'active' commenters (I think William Webster was right when he said above: "The success stories are silent.... as in silent majority , perhaps." - Come on silent majority - don't let these nay-sayers have the last say!). That said, I think I need to pull you up on one tiny thing and that is you taking Lizzy's comment about preferring to live selling ice-cream on the beach than back in the US literally. I'm sure it was said as an analogy to make a point rather than an statement of actual intent.

I wish you and everyone else who is supportive of DR and who are proponents of the country all the very best. As for the 'NO to DR' dipsticks - why on earth are you on this forum? Feel free to leave any time and find somewhere else to bitch and moan about stuff you don't care about or want to make any better. This should be a place for people who LOVE DR and want to help it become the best it possibly can be by mucking in where necessary and finding ways of solving problems rather than creating new problems or making existing ones worse.

End of rant....

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
"This should be a place for people who LOVE DR"
Well I didn't know that was the criteria for posting on this site. I thought it was to inform people of the DR. Maybe the site should be changed to DRLove. Now who has an agenda and who tells the truth???

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was hoping my original post would help ease off of some of the harshness - this isn't my first time in a forum, and I feel constently met with the same responses of, "Get serious, this is a major decision, you don't know what you're in for, you don't know what you're doing."

I am young, but not dumb. I've been enough times and to enough different various locations to witness the poverty that many islands are stricken with. I've spent the last 5 years of my life saving money to make relocation possible regardless of whether I have a job or not, but knowing that I am moving somewhere and will maintain a certain income is certainly more comfortable than not knowing if I will even be able to get employment. I'm aware that I'm a target and that they will attempt to charge me more thinking that I don't know and can't calculate the difference between a Dominican Peso and a Dollar, that gas stations are an easy place to get ripped off, that my house and quality in general will not compare with what I'm used to.

And despite all that, yes, I am still interested - that is why I am HERE, seeking the knowledge and input from those of you that have gone through it. This is why the thread is titled "Pre-Planning". This is why I asked the questions I did, seeking the more intricate facts and the things that I probably wouldn't even know/learn of in a month long stay. Before I do return, I want to know what location(s) sound like they even resonate with me, that way I am more informed and can plan to look at houses in a certain area, experience the "real" life. Maybe after a month I make my own decision that I'm not cut out for it, but I can decide that part on my own. There must be good experiences and wonderful things to share - why the seeming intent to run off someone interested?

I live in here in Santiago in a Dominican barrio. Have lived in different barrios all over this island.
I can give you some real insight with regards to ?real?life in this country both good and bad.
When you get to 10 post, PM me if you have questions..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
@LTSteve:

Of course people need to do their due diligence and be aware of as many of the potential issues that may arise from making such a big change in their lives and it is very decent of people to give useful and relevant advice. However, on this DR1 forum, it always seems to be the same old usual suspects who are intent on being negative about a place they supposedly love and support by spouting a whole heap of nonsense about the country and 9 times out of 10 it has no bearing on what the original poster was asking for help with....Lizzy's query is a perfect case in point. She EXPRESSLY stated that she was well aware of all the usual things to watch out for and asked for advice and suggestions on a very specific topic. Yet, as usual, the regular bunch of negative nancies decided to wade in with their ridiculous and unrequested commentary on how bad and dangerous DR is for anyone who is not a native and who hasn't spent a least 2 decades travelling back and forth to the island testing every single power socket and motoconcho on the island to the Nth degree as if that is the only possible way someone could make a properly informed decision as to whether or not to move to such a backward and wayward part of the world. Utter poppycock! Sure, by all means give advice, but make it relevant and TRUTHFUL, rather than an onslaught of unfounded and most likely outdated (it seems that a lot of these comments are coming from people that left DR some time ago) prejudiced views.

From what I read on here, you Steve, generally post helpful advice, so my diatribe is not aimed at you personally, but the same cannot be said for a large portion of the 'active' commenters (I think William Webster was right when he said above: "The success stories are silent.... as in silent majority , perhaps." - Come on silent majority - don't let these nay-sayers have the last say!). That said, I think I need to pull you up on one tiny thing and that is you taking Lizzy's comment about preferring to live selling ice-cream on the beach than back in the US literally. I'm sure it was said as an analogy to make a point rather than an statement of actual intent.

I wish you and everyone else who is supportive of DR and who are proponents of the country all the very best. As for the 'NO to DR' dipsticks - why on earth are you on this forum? Feel free to leave any time and find somewhere else to bitch and moan about stuff you don't care about or want to make any better. This should be a place for people who LOVE DR and want to help it become the best it possibly can be by mucking in where necessary and finding ways of solving problems rather than creating new problems or making existing ones worse.

End of rant....

HI:

I will end my comments in this thread by saying that many ex-pats who live in the DR are here because they couldn't make it in the country they were born in. Certain events pushed them to the DR to "start over". Some make some valid points but others just like to argue and yes it becomes very tiresome.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
RobFenton. - I will always advise anyone who does not have an on line way of making money to think very hard about coming to the DR and trying to find work in virtually any profession here. The pay scales are just so low that it would be a difficult life. If it does not matter where you live in the world and you can still make first world money, great, come on down.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
HI:

I will end my comments in this thread by saying that many ex-pats who live in the DR are here because they couldn't make it in the country they were born in. Certain events pushed them to the DR to "start over". Some make some valid points but others just like to argue and yes it becomes very tiresome.

Careful Steve.... you might offend many people with that attitude.

Exactly 'Zero' of mt RD ex-pat friends fall into that category.....

Too bad things didn't work out for you here.... others may be doing better than you did

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Hi Windeguy,

That's absolutely fine, but when someone (like Lizzy) says they are not interested in those kinds of comments or looking for that kind of advice, then people should really refrain from continuously posting their ridiculously and endlessly repetitive comments and try just answering the question that was actually posed. By all means they should add a bit of context where absolutely necessary, but they should avoid going off on irrelevant tangents.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014

Too bad things didn't work out for you here.... others may be doing better than you did

Yes, I'm offended. This guy takes something I said in a previous quote verbatim and gives me no credit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

Maybe the losers hang out in beach town, or somewhere I never go.
The expats I know are all doing just fine thank you!!!

Except for gorgon that is!

ps,"ROB' has NEVER LIVED IN THE DR,...BUT, he HAS spent 2 weeks traveling,here which makes him an EXPAT/Expert!!!!
These people are not looking for our advice, just our validation.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
agreed CCCCCologne.... so many 'visitors' know so much more.

You're right about the beach towns attracting a 'different ' crowd.

LTSteve .......... where was he ? I wonder?

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Maybe the losers hang out in beach town, or somewhere I never go.
The expats I know are all doing just fine thank you!!!

Except for gorgon that is!

ps,"ROB' has NEVER LIVED IN THE DR,...BUT, he HAS spent 2 weeks traveling,here which makes him an EXPAT/Expert!!!!
These people are not looking for our advice, just our validation.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

@ Mr Colon:

Please show me where I claimed to be an expert on DR. I'm pretty sure I have never made such a claim, but if I have, then I take it back and apologise as I am certainly NOT an expert on DR by any stretch of the imagination (mine or anyone else's!).

What I am doing is simply pointing out that people need to pay attention to what is actually being posted and/or asked for and respond accordingly. But alas, it seems that these so-called 'helpful advisors/validators' who do say they know it all, cannot refrain from sticking their negative boots in where it wasn't asked for. It's almost as if there is some kind of pathetic competition for who can post the most and so they'll just post a consistent barrage of drivel just to try and keep their post counter ahead of the next feeble-minded commenter who also has nothing better to do. But hey ho, if that's what makes them feel good about themselves then so be it, although would be so much better if they stuck to the point and didn't kill off what little intelligent conversation is being had on here.

Furthermore to your comment about me being an 'expert'.... although I don't consider myself to be one on DR, I have, however, lived in numerous countries and on most continents (S. America, N. america, Europe, Asia, Africa and beyond...including some islands) and in various conditions from poor to rich. I speak 5 languages fluently and can get by in another 4. I have built a number of successful business from scratch in different countries (I have also failed at a few others, but that's another story!). I have done all kinds of jobs from menial to high profile (e.g. cleaner, bus driver, language teacher, sports instructor, property developer, Royal Navy pilot and many more). Therefore I don't think it unfair or unreasonable for me to think that I have enough life experience to be able to give advice and comment knowledgeably on a fair few topics, but I do my best to keep those thoughts limited to where they have been asked for and where they are relevant unlike a good portion of the 'active' DR1 members excepting of course a few notable exceptions whose first instinct is, thankfully, to provide useful and relevant advice and information.

PS - On a separate, I'm not very au fait on forums in general, so am not sure what these strings of the letter 'C' mean. I see them a lot on here (e.g. Mr Colon's quote above), and not come across them before. Could someone educate me on this please? TY

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
HI:

Many but not all. Sometimes its better just to pack up and leave rather than stay and spend the rest of your life fighting a broken system my hard earned tax dollars were paying for.