Barrick Gold

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Where I come from in Canada you can rub the natural cyanide off the rocks in some areas. Barrick had to clean up a huge poisonous mess by the Dominican government as part of their agreement to be able to mine, but yes hopefully there are constant inspections and sampling of water and soil as there should be.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hope the DR government is really monitoring the mining here so we don't experience our rivers polluted with cyanide as Argentina experienced.
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/barrick-gold-fined-93-million-argentina-cyanide-spill

A monitor assigned by the U.N was agreed to by both parties after the clean-up from the Rosario Dominicana was carried out.

They carry out monthly surveys from data gathered by locals trained to do so each other week.

The rivers are cleaner than prior to the new operations and each year they keep getting healthier.

This is one of the reasons the DR's contract wasn't as lucrative as other mine operations of the same size elsewhere.

Also in the contract, Barrick or whatever company owns the rights to the mine, are to properly shut down the mine when the time comes. Cleaning everything behind them and restoring as much as possible of the top soil in the mine area.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Like for example the river that was poisoned before Barrick even came to the DR:
This is a before and after photo of the same section of the river.

ImageGen.ashx

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
C336743F-A75F-4090-A131-AFDFE019F209.jpeg

The same river before and after Barrick's operations in the country.

Thank you Pichardo for helping set the records straight and keeping us informed. It is Really good to see that at least one river has gone back to what it was and by the look of it, probably better than what it was before Barrick came in. It appears that one foreign company has done what the DR govt has not been able to do, restore our river system. Do you think the DR govt can now duplicate what Barrick has done across this great country of ours ? That would be real progress.

Pichardo, here my ask... It appears that you are in the know. Can you share with us or point us to what are the long or short term plans to restore our river system?

One more question and this for all DR1'er... Does anyone know people on the ground that can bring back first hand testimony that the people of Pueblo Viejo have a clean river and healthy ecosystem? No disrespect to you Pichardo but experience has shown me that you trust but verify.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I think Barrick Gold is to be commended for their work and I was completely against what the government did in renegotiating the contract. They paid billions to clean up that mess and then were met with nothing but reneging and problems with the contract. As one who has experience with the two faced aspects of Dominican Contracts I feel for Barrick Gold. We too were screwed and are still fighting for justice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
those pics are exceptional....

Barrick shareholders should see them
and the TV news should be promoting it.

RD'ers need an education in preservation/conservation/ecology --- if you ask me

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I haven't seen the River Magajita lately so I won't comment on the veracity of that. The pictures Pichardo posted are Barrick's propagandda pictures. Here's my first hand testimony...Barrick is using up to 25000 gallons of water a minute off Hatillo Lake. They're quickly depleting the lake at very high pace. Here's a picture I took this past December.

aepgt4.jpg

See those cement walls? About two years ago the water was about half way up that wall.

Here's another one.

2rqou95.jpg

This part where there's now a road was all covered with water. The water used to be up to the tree line in the background. As a matter of fact right where I stood to take the picture is where the "Ferry Boat" used to be anchored. You can see it in this older picture.

ferry+4.JPG

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I haven't seen the River Magajita lately so I won't comment on the veracity of that. The pictures Pichardo posted are Barrick's propagandda pictures. Here's my first hand testimony...Barrick is using up to 25000 gallons of water a minute off Hatillo Lake. They're quickly depleting the lake at very high pace. Here's a picture I took this past December.

aepgt4.jpg

See those cement walls? About two years ago the water was about half way up that wall.

Here's another one.

2rqou95.jpg

This part where there's now a road was all covered with water. The water used to be up to the tree line in the background. As a matter of fact right where I stood to take the picture is where the "Ferry Boat" used to be anchored. You can see it in this older picture.

ferry+4.JPG

Obviously draining water out will result in a lower water table however I wonder what part the drought plays in this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Suarzen

are you suggesting the pics are 'photoshopped' ???

and , Yes, the water table is still down from the drought

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Recent pic. The red water is the 'tailings lake so I'm told.It's bright red from above.Photo is not that good.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

aepgt4.jpg

Here's another one.

2rqou95.jpg

ferry+4.JPG

Barrick built a water deposit for its use on the plant. All water is recycled and when the saturation point is reached when it needs to be treated, it goes to a Barrick built water treatment pond, after which it's released into the water stream.

The pictures above are the result of a prolonged drought afflicting the region, not Barrick's sourcing of the water.

Keep in mind that Barrick's mine in the DR represents the latest in mining technologies up to the minute. They employed the next generation of mining practices, which seek to address the long standing practices from older mining operations without taking the protection of the environment around them.

The last review of the U.N. recommended monitors provided that the continued operation of the mine and their efforts to address these long standing problems, have contributed to as much as 75% in the recovery of the environment in and around of the old mine operations due to Barrick.

The actual plan was to conclude when the mine gets shut down, at which point the recovery and addressing of the said problems would be 100%.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes of course is all due to a drought...:cheeky: Whatever excuse we can use. I would like to see recent pictures of Yuna north of the lake (Before BG gets to extract water) and see how much this so called drought is affecting it. Camu certainly seems to be doing its usual dirty self...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Yes of course is all due to a drought...:cheeky: Whatever excuse we can use. I would like to see recent pictures of Yuna north of the lake (Before BG gets to extract water) and see how much this so called drought is affecting it. Camu certainly seems to be doing its usual dirty self...

Facts are what they are. Please do present ONE documented fact to back up your claim and let's debate from there.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I personally am aware of three different streams here in the Puerto Plata area that were flowing a year ago, but are not at present. One is all dry and the other the water just sits there without flowing at all. No mining operation i the area, just drought.