Palma Sola - Truth or Fiction

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Does anyone know if this is true or not?

In 1962, some 18 months following the murder of President Trujillo, Olivorio Mateo known as Papa Liborio was a religious leader and healer based in Palma Sola, near Las Matas de Farfan, some 60 miles from Jarabacoa as the crow flies and 20 miles from San Juan de la Maguana. He had reportedly disappeared during a hurricane in 1908 and reappeared on the ninth day following his supposed death. He said that he had been to heaven and God sent him back to earth and established a following. He was considered a threat to the religious status of the country and the socio economic make up and so the Dominican government (and according to local gossip ? backed by the Americans) on December 28, 1962 decided to end the mass movement, and dispatched a military contingent that performed a napalm airstrike killing 600 people in the area.

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
I have heard some vague tale about this guy Liborio and that he was killed, but I have no clue about the veracity of this or lack of same.

Google the name and see what comes up.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have heard some vague tale about this guy Liborio and that he was killed, but I have no clue about the veracity of this or lack of same.

Google the name and see what comes up.

Funnily enough I did Google in English and Spanish and lots came up. i just wondered if someone was here at the time or had heard talk about it. There is plenty in the press but I was looking for some first hand information rather than just google.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Heard that this is vudu Zombie type myth where the dead relive and is shrouded in fantastic stories that might or might not be true.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is what the Rough Guide says - slightly different version mind:

At the beginning of the nineteenth century, a charismatic faith healer named Liborio established a self-reliant commune in the mountains north of San Juan de la Maguana that attracted thousands of followers. Local peasants considered him a reincarnation of Jesus and worshipped him as such, though detractors maintained that he planned to march on Santo Domingo and set up a Voodoo theocracy with himself as high priest. He was branded a bandit by the American army during their occupation of the 1910s and 1920s; seeing his populist commune as a threat to their rule, they put a bounty on his head and sent out regular patrols to hunt him down. For six years he evaded capture by hiding out in the heart of the Cordillera Central with a handful of followers. When he was finally caught and murdered by American troops in 1922, rumours quickly spread through San Juan and Las Matas that Liborio had risen from the dead, and the soldiers had to dig up his corpse, drive it through the streets of San Juan in the back of a truck and display it in the Parque Central to prove otherwise.

The movement he founded, though, continued, with several local brujos claiming to have had direct spiritual contact with Liborio. In the early 1960s a group called Palma Sola, run by two peasant priests known as The Twins, set up a 1200-member utopian Liborista commune in the fields just west of Las Matas, by all accounts peaceful but deemed subversive enough by the government that on December 11, 1962, the military dropped napalm on them from airplanes – burning six hundred people to death and sending the rest scattering back to their villages. The fields outside Las Matas bear no marker to indicate that the commune members died here, but the Liboristas still dwell in the mountains around San Juan.

Read more: http://www.roughguides.com/destinat...c/southwest/liborista-massacre/#ixzz4DHO1t6eI

And interesting article here in Spanish.

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/01/03/palma-sola-bajo-manto-los-mitos-magia

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks very much Bob. The more I read and learn the more it seems likely that a napalm bomb was dropped here in this country killing hundreds during my lifetime. I had simply no idea this had happened.

Matilda

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Does nt surprise me that this story comes from San Juan de Maguana as it is the capital of witchcraft and sourcery in the DR. In the traditional dances with drums and sticks they often sing to Papa Libirio. If you are lucky you can still catch one in the campo.
Concerning the Napalm bombing i doubt that its true as 600 deaths is a masacre and very little evidence exists. Where were they all buried? Considering that it is in living memory it should not be hard to prove.

An example of exagerated killing numbers is the famous masacre of the Haitians in 1937 by Trujillo. Numbers have been put at up to 60,000 when it was proved to be under 3000 by prominient Historian Bernardo Vega.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I thought Liborio was killed by US Marines and then they dragged through town his corpse on the back of a pick up to end the gossip of his suppose 'resurrection.'

There are so many versions of this, but this is the one I have known. Until now, I thought that was what happen.

Aug 6, 2006
I thought Liborio was killed by US Marines and then they dragged through town his corpse on the back

Did they have pickup trucks in 1922? I suppose they did have light trucks, and the Liboristas were mostly Black and the Marines were most likely White and Southerners.
After WWII there was a lot of violence against Blacks in the US. In E. St Louis, IL in 1917, there were riots, which was why Josephine Baker said she stayed away from home. She was born in St Louis MO. in 1906.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I thought Liborio was killed by US Marines and then they dragged through town his corpse on the back

Did they have pickup trucks in 1922? I suppose they did have light trucks, and the Liboristas were mostly Black and the Marines were most likely White and Southerners.
After WWII there was a lot of violence against Blacks in the US. In E. St Louis, IL in 1917, there were riots, which was why Josephine Baker said she stayed away from home. She was born in St Louis MO. in 1906.

I think you are trying to infer that it was American racists that killed Liborio, is that correct? I don't believe race was much of a factor. From the article I posted on post #6.
Then, less than a year later, the United States invaded the Dominican Republic in an attempt to protect U.S. economic interests. Viewing the communalistic practices of Liborio and his followers as a direct threat against the capitalistic system just then being developed on the island, the landed elite worked with the occupying forces, notifying the U.S. government of the liboristas‘ whereabouts and activities. (Interestingly enough, before becoming a prophet of peace, Liborio himself had actively been a part of the capitalization effort, working for a local caudillo who had privatized a plot of land which had been seized from rural peasants.) Ciudad Santa was raided and razed, and from then on, Liborio’s religious movement became a guerrilla campaign, as the liboristas conducted hit-and-run attacks against the pursuing U.S. and Dominican forces.

North American troops would finally ambush him in 1922, riddling him with bullets. His body was carried on the back of a truck to the nearby town of San Juan de la Maguana, where it was displayed in the Parque Central as proof that the divine leader was actually dead. Even then, many of his followers refused to believe it, giving rise to the belief that Liboria’s spirit walked the earth looking after rural peasants. Even today a photo of Liboria still adorns many household altars throughout the Dominican Republic.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This the music Dominicans play and dance during "La Fiesta De Palos" one of the most popular songs...

Papa Liborio.

[video=youtube_share;CuEr7DhAeFk]https://youtu.be/CuEr7DhAeFk[/video]

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Fiesta de palos on the streets of Domonican Republic:

[video=youtube_share;dVxQN7htnHU]https://youtu.be/dVxQN7htnHU[/video]

In Honor to Papa liborio!

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I always heard about Papa Liborio was leader of Los santeros in the Dominican Republic, never heard he nothing to do with a revolutionary
movement.

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Those Fiesta de Palos drums creep me out, they do that a lot where we live, and come next door to us often because one of the young women there goes into some sort of trance.

Is all that connected to Papa Liborio??????

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Those Fiesta de Palos drums creep me out, they do that a lot where we live, and come next door to us often because one of the young women there goes into some sort of trance.

Is all that connected to Papa Liborio??????
No all but Liborio is one of the saints they proclain as a vudu religion healer...

This "Palo fiest" have a high influence of African roots, mostly original from the regions next to Haiti and the sugar cane field of the DR.
I never saw one of this in the Cibao region in all the years I drove around the island with the exeption of Bateyes of Monte Llano and Imbert Pot.Pta.

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Dicen que Liborio 'sta muerto
Pero ei no e'ta muerto na',
Yo lo vi bailando en lo campo de Saman?"

I have attended Fiestas de Palos in Saman? and if you ever go to the Fiesta de San Antonio Negro in May, you will see and hear a lot of this music.
You can get this on YouTube...just type in San Antonio Negro or Hermanos Guillen

Regarding Palma Sola, I was here when it happened.
As far as I have ever heard there was no napalm used.
The commanding general was named Rodriguez and his son was a full colonel when I knew him.
According to the son, there was a lot of politics involved and he said that his father was "betrayed"...but I do not have
all of the story.
Most accounts talk about how the followers of the "Mellizos" were armed with sticks that were supposed to protect them from the bullets of the Army..

This, together with the Mam? Ting? episode, are just two of the more stupid chapters of DR army incompetence.

Cordially,

HB

Aug 6, 2006
=====================================================================

That particular drumbeat is very similar to what I heard in Santeria festivals here in Miami. The rhythm has the purpose of putting at least some people in a trance.
I think there is a sort of coincidence of the drumbeats and the heartbeats of the dancers. In my experience, all those who have gone into trances have been women. I have heard that men get into trances as well.
They roll their eyes back all the way upwards and others guide them so they don't run into walls, bongoceros or other dancers. It is rather spooky.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
No all but Liborio is one of the saints they proclain as a vudu religion healer...

This "Palo fiest" have a high influence of African roots, mostly original from the regions next to Haiti and the sugar cane field of the DR.
I never saw one of this in the Cibao region in all the years I drove around the island with the exeption of Bateyes of Monte Llano and Imbert Pot.Pta.

JJ

Just remenber one thing, the DR had Africans 300 years BEFORE Haiti Existed...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just watched a program about Papa Liborio on Santo Domingo Invita, channel Digital 15, might be on YouTube? Interesting!