Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default divorces in DR up in the last 14 years

i like sunday's listin diario, they always have some good articles about DR.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...6/07/17/427362

in the last 14 years DR registered 234,663 divorces. the numbers are steadily going up, from 12,821 in 2001 to 19,244 in 2014.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I wasn't aware I am in the newspaper...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

With the advent of Social Media the divorce rate had to rise. Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Divorces equal legal marriages. Where are all the know-it-all posters who say Dominicans never get married legally??? Hmmmmm?

Administrator
    DR1.com

5. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

consider that these are the numbers for 14 years. so even if 50% of the marriages dissolve we are talking about less that 500,000 marriages in 14 years in a country of 10 million people.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Divorces equal legal marriages. Where are all the know-it-all posters who say Dominicans never get married legally??? Hmmmmm?
    Yes, that is true.

But if you extrapolate those numbers against the population over 15 who could conceivably marry.....you arrive at 2 possibilities.

Either the DR has one of the lowest rates of divorce.....or....they live together and just don't marry.

My unscientific findings are that marriage is far more more likely in certain social strata in the DR.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest a considerable number of the divorces are between a foreign woman and a Dominican man or vice versa. It can be considerably easier to carry out the divorce here than overseas and in some cases cheaper. This is talking as someone who has a minimum of five to 10 enquiries every month about how to get divorced here.

Matilda

9. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Good, I never understood why people who are miserable would want to stay together! You only live once! Yay for divorce!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I would suggest a considerable number of the divorces are between a foreign woman and a Dominican man or vice versa.
    2014 data:

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    Good, I never understood why people who are miserable would want to stay together! You only live once! Yay for divorce!!
    Perhaps that is why......they don't marry in the DR lol.

I will say one thing, I have never met more people who have more kids with more different people....than in the DR.

If they all married.....now that would be a divorce attorneys dream come true.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

13. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast