D.R. A Common Wealth?????

jade

Feb 19, 2002
The percentage of people in the Dominican Republic is 8.2 million.

I really don?t want to offend anyone because I know this subject is taboo!!
But the fact is that when the old ways die in the D.R, a different environment will be established. The newer generation of Dominicans understands that to become a greater power they must integrate themselves with another country. Obviously the first country that comes to mind is the United States. We have bashed Puerto Rico for becoming a commonwealth of the U.S. But the truth is, was it such a wrong move on their part, when the good out weighed the bad. They have not lost their freedom or Independence for these traits are a state of mind not body.

And though many will not admit this, D.R will eventually take the same route as Puerto Rico and become a common wealth. I know that many of you will freak out about this statement but it is a fact that with a few more years the integration of the Dominican culture with the United States culture will be complete. To clarify this a little further... with so many Dominicans immigrating to the United States each year and adopting the American way of life, the majority of Dominicans will eventually vote to become a common wealth. Most of the opposition will come from the Dominican government who will not like to lose their total control over their flock.
Here are a few of the signs..........

-An estimated 700,000 Dominicans, almost 10 percent of the 7.5 million population of the Dominican Republic, are believed to have emigrated since 1985. About 400,000 were admitted as legal immigrants to the US. Over half of these settled in New York City.

-The Hispanic origin population is projected to increase rapidly over the 1995 to 2025 projection period, accounting for 44 percent of the growth in the Nation's population (32 million Hispanics). The Hispanic origin population is the second fastest-growing population, in every region over the 30-year period in the United States. If this is the case how many of them will be Dominicans?

-In Reyna's words: "If you... feel the need to adopt the nationality of the United States in order to confront the vicissitudes of that society stemming from the end of the welfare era, do not feel tormented by this.... Do it with a peaceful conscience, for you will continue being Dominicans, and we will welcome you as such when you set foot on the soil of our republic."(From a leaders mouth.)

- A 1997 Gallup-Hay poll found that more than half of adult Dominicans would emigrate to the US if they had the chance. And compared to their impoverished homeland, the money is good for Dominicans in New York ? a medical doctor from the Dominican Republic can quadruple his salary working as a livery cab driver in Harlem. According to Romana Hernandez, assistant professor of Latino Studies at the University of Massachusetts, Dominicans are more entrepreneurial than other Hispanic groups in New York: "Seven percent of Dominicans own their businesses, compared with 5.8 percent of other Hispanics." Dominicans in the US send home an estimated $1.5 billion every year.?

There is so much out there to research but i will just leave at this and not drag it out any futher. Domicans know two things their pride in their country and thier pride in their history.... but i hate to say this.this does not provide food on their table. And while the rest of the world is advancing,taking giant steps. Dominican Republic is fighting to take baby steps!!!!

Once again please do not get offended!
D.R becoming a Commonwealth is just food for thought!!!!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jade

Jade:

Your idea is not too far fetched. If not politically, at least economically, we will be as close to the US as Puerto Rico, if not more. I am very nationalistic and I love my country, but in view of the fact that our politicians are by many miles more corrupted than US politicians and don't even hide it, I tend to agree with you.

I would prefer that we become a US state of the union keeping our own identity, as opposed to the terrible future that belies us ahead with the problem with Haiti. Because of our own hospitality and friendship, we are been taken for fools by the Haitians and rather than being taken over by this savage people, I rather be with the USA.

I have said it before, that if given the choice to vote for Bill Clinton or even George Bush or any present Dominican politician I would go for the Americans. We would be better represented. Our presidents for the last 40 years have delayed our nation from turning into another Taiwan. They have stolen our treasury and destroyed our infrastructure.

Our Senators and Diputados are all a bunch of rude CHOPOS. For instance the guy who is supposed to be my senator does not represent me or my community. I do not trust him with my dog. For all I am concerned they can send him home and leave a vacancy in his spot and save the taxpayers some money. None of the potential candidates for any office in the next ten 20 years offers any difference. Just take for instance, one of the candidates for Diputado in my district shot an opponent in the neck and now he is in jail and the victim may become paralyzed for life. That's the type of people who want to represent us.

Our Santo Domingo mayor is an inept merengue singer who has allowed our beautiful city to turn into a municipal dump. His potential replacements? A woman that has never held a public office in her life(Peggy Cabral, the merry widow of Pe?a Gomez) a guy nicknamed Macoris who was a mob leader for Balaguer, and his specialty was burning the homes of opponents during Balaguer's tenure as President and Roberto Salcedo, a TV program host who is a comedian by trade and has never held public office.

Bring on Pataki, Clinton, Bush, Giuliani, bring the US Marines!!!! Rather than having three megaports, let's have two megaports and an US Air Base.

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Better not hold your collective breaths. It ain't ever, repeat ever, gonna happen.

While I totally agree with golo's assessment of our local politicos, and BTW his name is Fern?ndez, not Reyna-an ignorant mistake--, I am afraid that the DR will never become much more than an economic dependency of the US economy.

Shit, if it wasn't for the racist senator of 1870, the DR would have been part of the US!!. But do you think for one minute that with Hait? like it is, the US would even consider, even for the blink of an eye, taking on the DR?? Get real!.

Puerto Rico is the largest per capita recipient of welfare monies from the federal (US) government. The US would save a huge amount of money by allowing Puerto Rico to become independent and to fend for themselfes. THEN the 'yolas' would go in the other direction!!

Nope, if there is any hope, it is in the youth, or perhaps a Duarte reincarnate, that can galvanize and stimulate the people to put the better class of politicians (Is that an oxymoron or what?) into office.

Peggy---sold her soul for political power
Marcoris---Still can't talk without shouting...
Johnny---poor bastard has his heart in the right place, but he has to work with that party.
Roberto---He sells out to the highest bidder..

but then the bald guy was a fertilizer salesman, which is why he can bullshit so well!!

HB, on Politics

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Hillbilly...won't happen...no way. The real blessing, for the US would be for Puerto Pobre, I mean Rico to vote itself out of the commonwealth status or, and I 'm sure they don't want to do this, become a State...at least then we could tax them and get back some of the welfare money.

The DR needs someone who can inspire its people to bigger and better things...therefore I propose that a coup take place and TW become Presidente, with PIB as his finance minister and tiger as his propaganda minister. Jim Hinsch would be head of tourism, Hillbilly in charge of the media, Grahame Bush foreign minister, Chriss Colon, ministry of health (would personally have to check out every nurse), Delores will take over the newspapers, and I, your humble servant will take over the Ceveceria Nacional...Any other nominations?

By the way, I do realize that there would be Americans in the government but, hey, its a coup...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Just a thought...

It would **** me off if the DR melted into the US in any way, shape or form. The US is not what interests me in the DR.

How about hiring Rudy Gulianni as your President for a year and let him clean house like he did in NY. I understand he may be in the job market.

Scott

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
benefit

I also fail to see the benefit to the US. Of course Dominicans would vote to enter, they'd get welfare and free passage to the states! PROBABLY not the best thing for the US.

If the US allowed countries like the DR, Mexico, Canada to simply "join in", we'd all be paying $300US for a pair of Nike sandals because the cheap labor would disappear.

marc

jade

Feb 19, 2002
U.S will not refuse!!

Though the United States goverment will hedge and haw!!!! In the end they will not refuse to accept another country into thier waiting arms.
The U. S would love to add another piece of beautiful property to their collection.
Marc cheap labor can be found anywhere, especially in the jails of the U.S!!!!
Hmmmmmm Giuliani for President, my type of leader!!!!
Just stick a cigar in his mouth, a presidente in his hands and let him take a quick course in spanish 101 and he might just set the dominican goverment on the right course.

P.S.... he already has his chopa.

And in response to what are the benefits the U.S will have with taking on D.R. as a commonwealth.....They will save alot of money on looking for illegals every year!!!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Savings

Surely you do not believe that the US would come out ahead dollar-wise if the DR became "part" of the US like Puerto Rico is.

please tell me you don't believe this...I beg you.
marc

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
jade --- cheap labor???

If they became part of the US they would have to be paid minimum wage... That would be bad for everyone, why start a business where you have to pay US minumum wage, take it somewhere cheaper..

so few jobs and everyone ends up with less

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Get real guys, if DR becomes part of USA, you think a single chopa would stay here to be further abused by their chopos? All the single girls would move to USA and we will be left here to chase women like jade on the beaches. Thats what you guys want to end up like....a sankie??
I like DR to be just the way it is.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Could you just imagine the DR being part of the US? 8 million new registered voters. The Democratic party would salivate!
Back in the 80's their use to be a Dominican Political Party called the Partido Yankista. They advocated joining the US. What ever happened to them?

Tony C.

tiger

Endangered Species!
Jan 26, 2002
El Jefe..vote for me! Tiger for PRESIDENTE!!

Minister of propaganda?....Jefe....Tiger must be the President! and let's see... I'll pick ...AZB as my vice president , El Jefe you could be a senator but, only under my direction! And Criss can
be a union leader of the sanitation dept, Golo will be my secretary of the state and Mondongo...I would like him to be my executioner! but only under my direction......

I'm starting to hear the words "Clean House"....you see guys, I'm way ahead of any of you (s). You may remember those were the very words I used in my original post ( about 3 1/2 wks ago, if you can all remember?). The only person who has gotten the "full" understanding of on writings has been none other then AZB..with some backings from Golo and Mondongo.

NO WAY!! will we become another P.R., for they've been sleeping for 100 yrs. now. I suppose that the U.S. gov'nt would be bombing our small little island of SAONA! as target practice ruining that part of the earth! and would be arresting the protesters in our own homeland. The P.R. people have been confused as hell, except of course for those politically-self conscious and freedom fighters such as Ebisu Campo and the likes. May that never happen!! I guess we would be nothing but, another slave state being ruled by the racist mojones up in Washington DC.. forever using/abusing the words freedom to openly invade countries and stop their determination of the right to be free, to really choosing ones own destiny. Like Maurice Biship of Granada. And many times shame on the U.S. gov'nt for sending their biggest invasion since the Vietnam war on a tiny little island not even 1/2 the size of P.R., under the foolish pretext that they had to protect young U.S. students, that were studying there... in 1965, then president Lyndon B. Johnson used the pretext that there were communist taking over our homeland (lies of course!). And for the second time the U.S. solder robots came in to kill our freedom fighters and interfere with the progress we so desperately hunger for...If I were president you know for a fact that, not one U.S. citizen would be studying in QUISQUEYA.... The U.S. gov'nt only likes to control and dominate with a dollar sign on there forehead. Just as long as other nations kiss their ass. This will never happen!!I know very well the way the U.S. conducts it's system and the way it thinks!.....I give my blessing to CHAVEZ down in Venezuela, all the right people are stepping out! so in effect he is "Cleaning House!" without violence to!

It's very typical of foreigners in the DR to express these kinds of thoughts..these are the very kinds of thoughts that blinds the confused nationals of DR. I know exactly what we need at home 1. To "Clean House" with no outside influence or interference 2. Change the entire system and burn all symbols of the colonial past and ask Spain for a formal apology and return the millions of pounds of gold they stole....( I know that AZB is down on this one with me and she is not even Quisqueyana..LOVE YOU AZB, YOU'VE GOT MORE BALLS THEN SOME THESE SO CALLED "D'S" ON THIS FORUM ) 3. Begin the greatest QUISQUEYANO self conscious non-violent revolution ever!... someone had mentioned that we need another DUARTE? may that never happen! what he really did, was come up with an idea that has never worked and you are witnessing/feeling the negative effects now!

TIGER FOR PRESIDENTE. JOIN MY PARTY!

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
tiger

I'm sorry but you are confused as hell. Not about your cause but about the people in this forum. It seems to be that you have not read any of the other threads.
That's the place where you'll find out about people's genders and nationalities. Also their color.

You are perceived as a loose cannon because sometimes you shoot at your best line of defence. Not only that, you look for support from the opposing artillery.

I'll give you a tiny hint. Over 90% of the people that frequent this board are not from the DR. So if you want to start an us against them thing you are bound to lose. "Them" are the majority and may not give a s**t about your cause.

If I were you I would try to change the strategy. In a calm manner express your reasons. Take us by the hand to your fountain of knowledge.

I tried to engage you before in a more constructive conversation but you did not even relate your answer to my subject.
No offence, but you look like a baby in search of attention - I'll cry and cry, if you say Quisqueya you're my friend and I'll shut up.

Cool down bro'.

Last edited:

tiger

Endangered Species!
Jan 26, 2002
Janice ....it's your favorate Tiger!

Janice said:
Crap, put Tiger's name right after Hussein

I have a question for you. What has Saddam Hussien done Sooo..terrible to the people of the United States! out side of the fact that those chemicals that he used against the Kurds were directly supplied by the U.S. and to be also used against their neighbor Iranians. Who punched the U.S. in eye for spying on them in their homeland. Then seduced Saddam into attacking his Iranian brothers., They love to have nation fight against each other, especially if their is a tremendous amount oil$$$. while they sit in Washingon and laugh at millions dieing... freaking disgusting. And just in case! Kuwait (was formed by the axis powers after world war one) is Iraqs 49th Province! if you did'nt know that? The Iraqies had a right in claiming their territory. You see, it's a big part of the U.S. gov'nt to use psychological tactic in making propaganda foes..soon they're be picking on Hugo Chavez in Venezuela but, Hugo has a great adviser whom the U.S. hasn't been able to touch! even their evil tactics have failed for more then fourty yrs.! I like him, his cool, he sees Venezualas future in their own hands, not in the hands of foreign economic powers ...you see, it is blind justice that American institutions teach! they desparetely need to deceive!!.... It has been a great part of this system from it's inception.That's how it works, to keep you totally under their control, so that whatever U.S.gov'nt says.. you believe like a fool! And there are millions of you out there.

Do me a favor Sweety.. don't throw names at me cause I can handle you just like I've handled the others...PEACE TO YOU the best from Tiger.

tiger

Endangered Species!
Jan 26, 2002
Pepe...Tiger here!

Brother I'm not confused at all!! AND I REALIZED THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT DR'S A LONG TIME AGO, THAT'S WHY I TOOK OUT MY ORIGINAL POST. And the 10% who are Dom's.. since you hinted 90% are not, have stayed silent and have "no back bones" like my brother MONDONGO said.. just don't get it....that's what I've been trying to do with you and those other DR's....exactly that! "take you to the mountain top!" and you neither digest nor see my point, while some of the foreigners attempt to trample on my message for my people. Pepe.. you did'nt even try to engage with me with interest and curiousity but, with challenge and negative put downs just as you are doing now...And I can defend myself very well!...I'm NOT trying to lure the none DR'S on any conner at all..I make those statements so that the real DR's can see how a none DR like.. AZB can understand clearly what I'm saying and you can't!...you are so wrong my brother..It's you and the other DR's.. NOT THEM.. that I've been trying to reach and you and the others never appreciated my message or understood it, don't you know that! But since theTiger has a whole lot of patients....I always make the time to fight off the negative jabs some of these people throw at me. They think they're so smart..telling the few DR's here, what there histroy is and the few DR's go for it...check that out! I have intentions of loging off anyway because of the fact that there aren't enough DR's on this forum. And those 10% probably don't care anyway as our island continues it's downward spirals..are of course afraid!

And when I say to someone join me (knowing well that they are not DR's)...I don't mean that literally, just playing with their heads, don't you see that?

My manner of speech?.. I know is very frank and sometimes a little harsh but, when people need to be put in there place for real bad
remarks I do it, just like you would...it's nothing special. I have tones of patients for children but, not for pre-meditated adult,
vicious attacks.

But honestly, I think this audience likes me very much!..it's always deep with me whether they can stand my writing or not

You say: me cry???...Nah! haven't done that in a long time. Crying in my heart so that the name Quisqueya may not disappear..yes! and so that you DR's realize who they really are..yes! Pepe.

TIGER STANDS!

Last edited: