Merengue

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
What's happening with Merengue nowadays? I am so dissapointed with the garbage that I am hearing from some so called merengueros. I love to dance merengue specially when they have a good "mambo" but it seems that anyone with a good "mambo" can be a merenguero. I remember listening to merengue when I was growing up and not only were they good songs do dance to but the lyrics actually meant something. Artists like Juan Luis Guerra, Alex Bueno, Ray Polanco, Fernandito Villalona and Wilfrido Vargas...those guys to me are the greatest merengueros of all time. Listening to Villalona songs always brings me back to the days growing up in BANI and makes me proud of being Dominican. Juan Luis Guerra...he's just great overall. His lyrics are as beautiful as they get. Tulile and Tono Rosario are just making garbage...what the hell ituliquitaca??????

I'll dance to todays merengue but I would never buy the records. I'll stick to my Merengue Clasico and my favorite artists who have enough talent to actually put lyrics behind their mambo.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, handsome!

Have you heard the latest by Sergio Vargas and Rubby P?rez?

I agree with you that some of today's merengueros are just doing whatever it takes to make money...not even considering if it's real music or not...

I enjoy To?o and Tulile, but only at a party or club...and I also would never buy their records...

But if you have a chance, listen to the two I mentioned...

Sergio's is called "A tiempo"...I think it's from last year or maybe more...but it's one of the latest...From there listen to a song called "Mantequilla en pan caliente"...or "Bala perdida"...or "Fantasma"...I really like them.

And Rubby P?rez just released "Volando Alto"...he's got some great songs...the lyrics are incredible...listen to them if you have a chance and then let me know what you think!!!

I had a chance to interview Victor Victor (do you know who he is?) this morning at the radio station...I'm writing something about him for next week, and I also have pictures to post on our site...

I'll send you a link when it's ready...

Si escuchas la canci?n de Sergio...te aseguro que una mujer mayor que tu puede hacer que te "derritas" como mantequilla en pan caliente...

Hasta pronto!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Musicqueen - you're the perfect person to ask:

What about bachata? What's everyone listening to right now? Or if we were going to buy ONE Cd (merengue or bachata), is there anything caliente at the moment? However, I'm a big To?o Rosario fan...Gotta love el Cuco...

Also, does Fulanito have a new album out? Cuz I can't find it at amazon...

We have NO latin radio up here and feel really cut off. Crap.

Last edited:

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Everyone is listening to...

Zacharias Ferreria, Yoskar Sarante, Frank Reyes and Raulin Rodriguez. Also Alex Bueno has nice Bachata as does Anthony Santos. Go out and buy them and let us know what you think. I also like this Boy/girl group (singers) Monchy and something, I cant remember. Maybe Musicqueen can help me. Enjoy your Bachata.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Jane J...nice to meet you!

Ok...here we go...

Here in So. Florida they play bachata but it's not the same as in DR...

I love going there to listen to the latest...Like when I was there the first week this year, the one to listen to was "Por tu amor" by Yoe Veras. Also Zacar?as Ferreira has one called "Adios" or "Te amaba tanto"

Fulanito has a new c.d. called "Callate"...it's a lot of fun...He stays out all night...and when he comes home his girl tells him to "shut up" and stop telling her the same old lies...

I like el Cuco, but have to agree with DRTechie, some of the songs have no lyrics...

And for merengue, try the ones I suggested to the "Hottie"...those are my favorites right now!

I'll let you know more later, if you'd like...

Have a great weekend...and if you have a chance...listen to www.salsa98.com on saturday mornings...I'm the d.j. from 6 to 10 a.m. Miami time...you can also see me on the webcam...

Have fun!

Ok, had to edit to add...Yes, all those are good ones too...The name of the duo is Monchy y Alexandra...they have a beautiful bachata called "Te quiero igual que ayer"...You'll like it!

Last edited:

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
forgot those guys

My Queen - I forgot to mention Sergio Vargas and Rubby Perez. I haven't heard the new one from Sergio but I will defenetly download it. I have so many favorites from him that I can't even begin to mention them but the one I remember the most is the oen where he's singing about leaving home and his mother. Always reminds me of leaving DR for NY and it reminds me of my aunt...kinda of sad. I have all of Rubby Perez...my favorite is "no voy a llorar". I might have heard some of Victor Victor songs but I wouldn't know him by name.

y por que es tu crees que me gustan las mujeres mayores?

Jane - When I was in DR this past December there were a lot of good bachatas that have yet to reach state side. In my opinion the best new bachatero is Yoskar Sarante. I have a great cd one of my friends gave me before leaving...it has all the new bachata. E-mail me your address and I will burn you a copy tonight, get it out to you tomorrow. As for radio stations, if you have a dedicated internet connection you can find many radio stations that broadcast online. I think LaMega in NYC does it...i'll have to find out more details for you.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hottie...

...you don't need to listen to Mega anymore...Try our station, here in Miami...

I think you'll like it...On Sundays, from 12 to 2 pm Miami time we have just bachatas...

Right now I'm listening to Rubby..."No vuelvo a creer"...

God, I want to be in DR dancing to this...

Guayando...

Escucha la de Sergio...can't wait to read what you think of it...the whole c.d. is great!!!

Later!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, Hottie, would you really do that for me? (Hey, you've got a new apodo...) That is exactly what we need! Especially my poor old husband. We've been away from the DR for almost a year now, and the music thing is so vital.

(And I can't listen to music on my computer anymore, because Big Fat Idiot at the repair shop installed Windows 95 on my old laptop, to "make it run better". Gah! My little machine is so outdated it doesn't even have a CD drive - just a floppy. It runs like a charm, but without at least Windows 98 I can't even get a Real Player, sooo I'm screwed. It's okay though, I'm going to rent an external drive and download all the software from my workplace...When I can find the time, that is...I know you all care about this...sorry...)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Wud...

...I don't know that much about computers...help me out here...

What do you mean the stations will not load?

Try...www.netmio.com you'll get kind of a map of the different cities where we have radio stations all over the U.S....

Then go to Miami...and click on Salsa 98.3 and there's a little button that says...we are live!..

Hope that works...don't know how else to explain it...I'm an announcer...not a computer wiz...

Sorry!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My computer is the same...so old. But BMG and Columbia house have some latin music.
I miss my cds...theyer still in usa...to be shipped someday when i can afford it.
So if any of you are coming here stop bby my folks house and bring some of my stuff with you1!!!

Duarte

Feb 27, 2002
Merengue Quality

I said the same thing a while back, regarding the quality of merengue lately. I think it's a shame that puerto rican bands are making better merengue than dominicans (at least when it comes to lirics). On the other hand the quality of bachata has gone up dramatically, over the last few years. When I was in the DR, in December, some of the most popular bachateros were:
-Yoskar Sarante( La Noche, No te detengas, cama separada) - Great songs
-Raulin Rodriguez(Arrancame la vida, Y llorare)
-Elvis Martinez - El Camaron - (tu sabes bien) This one I really like.
-Anthony Santos (Me quiero morir, Cuanto lamento, Durmiendo solo)
-Luis Vargas ( Yo mismo la vi, Dos hombres bebiendo, Soy Asi)
-Allendi (Te mal informaron)
-El gringo de la bachata (El gringo muere de amor)
-Joe Veras(Yo por tu amor)
-Monchy Y Alejandra(Te quiero igual que ayer)

Merengue:
-Tono Rosario (Culikitaka o Dominicano Soy)
-Kinito Mendez (Con el mismo sabor)
-Sergio Vargas(dile)
If you want to know what's the latest playing in the DR, there's a good site that's updated monthly with the hit parade:

http://www.sabordominicano.com

I happen to be a fan of older merengue. I'm talking about merengue from the 80's and early 90's. I have about 1 gig worth of merengue clasico. I'm talking about Sandy Reyes, Fernando Villalona, La Gran Manzana, La Artilleria, Aramis Camilo, Alex Bueno, Jerry Vargas, Mariano (La Calambrina), Rubby Perez, Hermanos Rosario, etc. Those who grew up with it know what I'm talking about. The good old days...

Last edited:

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net

Duarte - do you have any music sharing software? I am on Kazaa and I share a lot of my music through AIM as well. I would be interested in DL some of you music.

As for Tono and his Tulikitaka song...fun to dance to but garbage to listen to. I think all the drugs did away with the bit of talent he had left. Any 5 year old can come up with the same quality merengues he's been producing lately. "Beso a Beso" is the only decent song that's worth more than just dancing to.

I do agree with you on the Bachata though. I was really surprised with how great the Bachatas were. - Jane, don't forget to e-mail me your address, already burned the cd.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey...

...now I'm getting jealous...

How about a copy of that c.d. for "your queen"?...

Aren't you going to ask me for my e-mail address?

Buuuhhhuuhhh!!!

Duarte

Feb 27, 2002
Sharing

Techie,

I use audiogalaxy. I've tried Kazaa and others, and didn't find as good a selection of songs as audiogalaxy. The drawback is that you can't browse a specific person's shared files. Also a lot of viruses are traded through the ones that share more than just music. Morpheus, messed up my computer to the point where I had to re-install Windows 98, so I'm a little bit leery of re-installing any of these.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
DRTechie - I sent you my address by email. I'm in awe of your kindness...

(Musicqueen, I swear to God, nothing happened! And BTW, I just saw that photo of you and Alejandro Sanz - lucky you! Is he hot, or what? I heart Alejandro Sanz...)

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Musicqueen, it's me again...I can't believe I'm talking to a former "Chica Mazola"! So what's Don Francisco *really* like anyway?

So, I went to your website and I got a Windows Media Player and I'm listening to your station RIGHT NOW! I'll try to catch your broadcast, but Saturday mornings are not my best times to be online...2 kids, you know. Pancakes to make and cartoons to watch. But I'll try!

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
hey guys & dolls you are missing Eddy Herrera. He is the best. in my opinion he is doing the best merengue.
Musicqueen. Sergio has a new album with the hits, Vete y Dile y Te va a doler