Are there any caves in the Dom Republic?

terryb

Mar 9, 2002
I was wondering if there are any caves or caverns that are open as tourist attractions in the Dominican Republic ? If so where are they located and are there any guided tours to them. Thankyou.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Caves??

Quite a few. and yes some are open to the public.
Perhaps the most famous cave is Guacara Taina which is an underground disco located in Santo Domingo in the Parc Mirador Sud. It is a favorite spot for both tourists and locals and there are tours from most resorts nearby.
There are also caves open for scuba diving and tours are run by most dive operators.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are caves in Los Haitises National Park which are open for excursions. Of particular interest are the drawings on the walls put there by the aboriginal inhabitants. Excursions leave from Samana and Sanchez. The best guide is Kim Beddall of Victoria Marine/Whale Samana in Samana. Her office phone is 809-538-2494.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Right On!

So the ole grey cells sometimes don't function that well!!
I've been to Los Tres Ojos and it's a very nice place to visit!!

Christine_deb

Mar 6, 2002
LTI CAVE

There was a cave on site at the LTI Sol de Plata resort. I didn't actually go and check it out but I thought it was kinda cool to have something like that on the grounds... Plus when I went adventuring along the rocky parts of the coastline I could see where the ocean have made tons of caverns and other cool stuff. If you are going there I would reccommend checking out Tourissimo their employees were so great and they seemed to have a huge selection of tours.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Meson de la cava

a very good restaurant in a cave, near Guacara Taina.
Don't for get the "Bat" Cave somewhere in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area (or was that Sabana a la Mer?).
Oh well a good guide book (perhaps the one put out by Codetel- which should be in your hotel room) will tell you. If not definitely the tour operators should know.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Haitises caves in Sabana de la Mar area (on the eastern coast) are prepared for visits. (Tour sold by tour operators at hotels or this can be done by renting a car and visiting the National Parks Office in Sabana de la Mar.)

Also, by the end of March or start of April the Ministry of Environment is opening the Cueva de las Maravillas near to both La Romana and San Pedro de Macoris (Juan Dolio) destination areas, and not too far from Santo Domingo. This tour will probably be offered by tour operators working in the area. It is not yet open to the general public, but once it is ready there should be a big sign on the highway and it can be easily visited. Rent a car for the day.

For those staying in the East, there is the spectacular Fun Fun Cave. Rancho Capote offers excursions where visitors rapel down and then take a boat ride along the underground river that runs for an incredible seven kilometers. This excursion should be offered to tourists staying in East Coast hotels by tour operators working in the area.

The biggest cave in the DR is at Pomier, in southwestern San Cristobal, about half an hour drive from Santo Domingo. You will need to know Spanish, as the guides on site are Spanish-speaking. This is the largest cave in the Caribbean. Am not familiar with tour operators working this cave as it is still in the raw. Cave experts do offer guided tours in English. For those wanting to put together a group to visit this cave and others, send us an email to put you in contact with the cave experts that do guided tours.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
More Info Pls!!

How about posting some directions to these locations or names and numbers for tour operators so we can go visit???

terryb

Mar 9, 2002
Are there any caves in the Dominican Republic

Hey thanks for all of the replys, I didn't expect such a good response! I probably will be staying around one of the tourist areas such as Purto Plata or Punta Cana, but will try my darndest to get out to those caves that are mentioned in this thread.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Delores

Used to go to a cave near La Romana back in the 60's. It was only reachable at that time by boat. Is this by any chance the one you referred to? It was a magnificent cave and seemed to be fairly popular.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Dolores??

In the late 50's (ok so I'm old) our "boy scout" troop hiked to some caves that were east of La Romana. I was kind of young so I don't remember how we got there, but I believe we drove a couple hours east of Romana (on dirt roads in those days) and then hiked about two hours. Our guide had a hard time finding the caverns which were quite big inside. I think it was between Higuey and the coast to the south. Is this the one you are talking about?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As I said in my email above (I edited the copy to add more information on how to go to these caves), most of the ones mentioned can be visited by guided tour. Several hotels will offer excursions to these caves.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You could be referring to the Fun Fun Cave that is slightly northeast of La Romana. You need to book an excursion or have an authorized guide to visit this cave.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Friends went caving

In the late 80's I had some Peace Corps friends who caved near Higuey somewhere and told some interesting stories. They were guided and said they went underground for hours and at times had to go underwater. I doubt whether these would be open to the general public.