No Money for a Flag

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
How obscene it is. I just read today in the Listin Diario that a loan is about to be approved for US$38 million for the Legislators Hospital to be built for 2500 congressional employees, deputies, and senators. Is it really needed? If the legislators and their followers need health care, let them take a number and wait in line at the public hospitals with the rest of the pueblo. It would be advantageous for them to expose themselves there to the real needs of the country and not for their own selfish interests and indulgences. The $38 million would be better spent on the people.

No Money for a Flag.

Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can you imagine this? The US Congress does not have its own hospital!!!
this is one of the more obvious demonstrations of the PRD's ideas of government.. Fat pockets--MINE!!! Port barrel at its hightes expression. thes guys could teach Huey Long, Mayor Daley and Boss Hague a thing or two!! To say nothing of Strom Thurmond, and a few others...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Obscene" is the perfect choice of words!

What do you expect?This Government has no respect for "Anythjing"! "Human Rights?"Yah,RIGHT"!"Well Fair of it,s Citizens?"Well,"Alls Fair" in Politics"!Two years,four months to go!I don,t think the people can wait.Criss Colon

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Wrong Criss.....

Talk to the ppl in the barrios and the taxistas,and the ppl in the mercado popular. They all think "Hippo" is doing a good job and they're going to vote for him again!!!!! (if they change the constitution again so he can run for a second term which I'm sure they will!!)

:eek!:

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
They may not have a hospital but dont they have a special jail in the states for the politicans in Washington thats like a country club common all people in poltics watch out for themselves only. But I admoit the money could be better spent on the public hospitals here..

Stlougrrrl

Mar 22, 2002
Estoy Curiosa

Hello there,
I keep reading all these horrible things about the DR goverment but I am wondering if there are any "grass roots" movements to better the living conditions there since it's obvious the gov. is not going to do anything about the trash, water, crime, schools, etc.

According to Momm, the people she talks to are content with the way things are which is a scary thought to me (an outsider looking in). I am thinking maybe there has to be young, educated, not necessarily rich, people down there trying to do something to better the place they live in? Is there such a thing as "young, educated, not necessarily rich people"? And do they care about bettering the living conditions or do they think things are OK the way things are? Or do they not care? Or do they feel it is a hopeless cause?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

MJN
p.s. shame on the US for giving money to the rich instead of the poor...not a far stretch for the way things happen here (in the US).

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Content!

When you have a primarily poor populace who are uneducated and living in "survivalistic" environment they tend to believe what their told. In this case the gov't keeps telling them they are doing things to "help" the poor and promising money for everyone or food and the people with a child-like belief are still waiting for Santa Claus to come to town. "hippo's" supporters have said the gov't was left broke by the previous gov't so they can't fulfill their promises yet but they will as soon as they have money.
Of course all those "Party" faithfuls who are now working for the gov't in high positions (even with no education,training or skills) are doing VERY well!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
True MommC

However, have you ever noticed that as soon as a poor Dominican gets some money, they dont think about education, they either buy clothes that are way above their means, or buy a cell phone. Strange.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Fred

Hipolito is counting on the fact that his political party, the PRD represents the 3,500.000 chopo voters we have in DR. There are 7,500,000 chopos of all ages in DR, so the future of the PRD is solid. Chopos love to "hacer coro" or kiss ass. They kiss the asses of politicians who give them nothing. And those who drive around in their motoconchos with huge political party flags are paid for it. They also hope to get a lousy government job, or at least aspire to be a chauffeur for one of the politicians.

If you ask them if they aspire to get a scholarship for one of their children, that would be a low priority. They rather spend their money at Avenida Independencia and Winston Churchill buying lottery tickets, playing slot machines at colmados and drinking beer talking about politics.

You ask them what would they do if they get $100,000? They will answer...I would buy a car to go concho or sell chimichurris on the streets. In the meantime our natural resources go to hell with these uneducated peons.

That is why I dont feel guilty, sad or sorry for their destiny. It would take 100 years to get rid of the chopo culture.

TW

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I disagree.....

I know many Dominicans if you want to say in the "poorer" class who care a great deal about their education. They study hard and want so much for their future. A lot of my friends have just gone on to University to study, even though they have no money and are now struggling greatly to survive, but that is how important education is too them. I hate these generalizations.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"Can you imagine this? The US Congress does not have its own hospital!!!
this is one of the more obvious demonstrations of the PRD's ideas of government.." Hillbilly

Hillbilly, why should U.S. Congress have its own hospital? They have free access to the military hospitals. See the 1995-96 perks on the linked website to this post.

Note: Politicians in any country can be obscene. My feeling is that they need to come down off their high horses and see what is really happening. Just that in the D.R. it is more so, because of the wide disparity from those who have and those who have not and the people have not empowered themselves to make necessary changes. That is the frustration with this matter.

Regards, PJT

http://www.congressproject.org/payperks/cowerel.html

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Hillbilly you are wrong the US Congress does have its own hospital.

Hillbilly,

I thought you were nearly right most of the times but on this one you are in error.
The U.S.Congress has it's own medical facility
it is called Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland it is about 15 miles out of the District of Columbia proper. This also the hospital where the
American Presidents are given there annual physical. The hospital is also where members of Congress and military retirees and current active duty members receive there medical care as well.

Golo,

Perhaps it is not the "so called uneducated chopos that should be done away with" perhaps it is people with your mind set. Have you ever
wondered why these people are uneducated?

As for your reputed means and bon vie bon status
you might think you are el Rey in the DR but I assure you if you were to come to Washington, D.C.
up here with me "Washington,D.C. aka Chocolate City" you would be the chopo and I assure that you wouldn't get honorable mention for your middle class status in the DR.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Issac Green

Isaac:
I , and I believe no one in this forum would be caught dead in a city like Washington, DC, the world capital of crime. A city of slums. A city that has two cities in one, one with the capitol crowd and the rest of nobodies, the majority of which are poor blacks.

Except for its historical monuments and government buildings, Washington DC is a waste of a city. Few dare walk around at night. Even the White House is not safe. The Pentagon is not safe. A city that has fallen into shame with its destruction of power by a few arabs. A city with an airport where your life is as cheap as a dead roach in an ant hill.

What are you talking about? Except for the a few power people in Capitol Hill, an extreme minority of the people, I used to earn a six-figure salary in Chicago, Illinois, something that 90% or more of Washingtonians do not earn. Do you think I was born yesterday? Do you want me to send you the latest figures on the per capita income of people in Wasington DC? Well, our middle class here would kick their ass anytime. We live in better housing, better facilities, have better private clinics and hospitals and better schools. When was the last time you saw a Washington school even meet the minimum standards of nationwide tests?

Compare that to the school my son attended in Chatham, NJ, which was considered one the best high schools in the Northeast. The Chatham community is among the top 3 in the State. I lived in Chicagos Gold Coast right across from Guccis and Bloomingdales and my window neighbor was Oprah, who lived at One Magnificent Mile, my backyard building. I got enough points on my social security from my high income that I could have retired almost at 25 years before mandatory age at full benefits. Let me know if you want to check that out. I will let you take a peek at my SS statement thru internet.

In fact, most people in Washington DC could not afford any of the schools I attended, here in DR or the USA. Just to give you a hint, costs and tuition at CMS, my high school stands today at US$27,000 a year, not to mention Riverside Military Academy in Georgia. Want to check their tuition? Just give them a call.

So dont give me that crap about Washington, DC. I lived in too many better US communities to even be offended with such pile of poverty alleys alleys.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Isaac is Wrong as usual!

The National Naval Medical Center is located in Bethesda Maryland.It is a United States Navy hospital.I was stationed there on two different occasions.It is available to members of Congress,and other Government officials.As is Walter Reed Army Hospital,and the National Institutes of Health facilities.I would guess that since these hospitals are fully funded by the US Government anyway it is cheaper in the long run to give non-military,government employees access to these facilities,rather than pay civilian health care facilities.Wrong as usual Green!cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Hippo siding with the People????

Today's (Monday) edition of El Caribe writes of El Presidente rejecting the idea of The Legislators Hospital. It appears he is bowing to public sentiment against the project.

Let's see if he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before he changes his mind. Like when it is known the proposed hospital will provide services for ex presidents. Regards PJT