sailboat marinas

Michael Lobb

Apr 3, 2002
I am seeking information of sailboat marinias in the DR; locations, facilities, availability of skips, costs, etc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Monte Cristi, Luperon, and Puerto Plata are famous since Columbus' times.
Saman?, las Galeras
Boca de Yuma
la Romana-to die for- and more abuilding
San pedro de marcorix
Rio Ozama
Rio Haina

Most have docking facilities but you will find them all friendly. maybe the real skippers here can give you mo' and better info....

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are no marinas of the sort you mean on the north coast. Samana and Luperon are good harbors, but you must anchor.

There is a pier that you can tie stern-to in Puerto Plata, but it isn't recommended. It is a dirty, commercial harbor and security is a problem.

I believe there are some marina facilities on the south coast, but don't have personal knowledge of them.

I have a sail boat on a mooring in Samana harbor. It has been anchored or moored there since 1986. There are no rental moorings, but you can put down a mooring if planning on an extended stay. I can give you some suggestions if you are interested in this option.

Currently Luperon is the most popular north coast harbor for transient cruising boats. It is probably the best hurricane harbor on the north coast. You could probably put down a mooring if planning on an extended stay. But the transient boats are anchored. There is a small yacht club there but its small dock is filled with a few permanent boats.

Eventually there may be marinas on north coast. One has been proposed for Samana. But at present, you must anchor.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Best Western Metro Golf & Marina......

Juan Dolio.
I'm not sure if they handle sail boats but you might have a look.....
I believe there is a listing for them in the Hotel section of this site.