Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welp, it happened. Wrecked scooter rental

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welp, it happened. Wrecked scooter rental

I must have missed the part on the contract where it says there is a 1500usd deductible. I'm happy I didn't get really hurt but I'm hanged up just resting in the room and need to bring the scooter back soon. A few kids looked at it and said it would cost 200-300 but I know that will make little difference when I see the guy.

I guess my question is , what are my chances the guy doens't demand the full 1500 for the scooter damage? I'm trying to reach family to wire money but that part isn't even solid yet and I'm supposed to be flying out Tuesday but from what I've read things get sticky very fast with this sort of thing. The scooter is rideable but has bent wheels and the front frame is cracked (this is the part the kid said would take going to puerto plata to get and is a large piece). I know that doens't do much help short of letting you know the scooter isn't totaled.

What really makes me mad at myself is I've riden scooters in other counties and it wasn't the traffic that did it. It was the lack off and seeing a single whitehouse up on the hill side (east of Caberetee past 2 yellow bridges). I looked up for a second and when I looked down the road turned and I flew off.

I guess my other question is there a cheaper way than 100 bucks that is safe to get to STI?

2. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing you left your passport as collateral?

Take the kid that knew where you could get it fixed, rent him for a day as a guide, and a pick up truck. Do it early Monday, take it to the place in PP and get it fixed. Pay the kid and drive it back to where ever.

If you gots no money, and he's got your passport, you'll be at his mercy. You ain't going nowhere.
    Just get it fixed, no big deal.

4. Likes cobraboy, Peterj liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    I'm guessing you left your passport as collateral?

Take the kid that knew where you could get it fixed, rent him for a day as a guide, and a pick up truck. Do it early Monday, take it to the place in PP and get it fixed. Pay the kid and drive it back to where ever.

If you gots no money, and he's got your passport, you'll be at his mercy. You ain't going nowhere.
    Just get it fixed, no big deal.
    ^^^This.^^^

There are folks who will make it look like it never was wrecked at a price better than the hassle you're about to face if you don't.

You'll be paying Gringo Price which is lower than Gringo Hassle.

I have helped people go through this several times with rental cars.

Consider it tuition. You learned to pay better attention while riding. You are lucky. You could be dead.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, those who rent cars and motos (especially motos) replace them when damaged not repair them. It's easier, the insurance hit for them isn't very large with a large deductible so it's the avenue of least resistance and updates their inventory with newer machines.

You can try to convince the rental place to fix it, but I suspect they will decline and either turn it over to the insurance company to sell at auction or sell it themselves depending on if they file a claim. Either way, it's probably going to cost you $1500, because that's that what you agreed to.

Let us know how it works out.

On the medical front - You're lucky not to be in the hospital. If you got road rash, get some antibiotics pronto. Keep the wounds clean and change the dressings often. The roads and soil are filthy here and a tropical infection can be a real challenge to arrest and get rid of.

Post Thanks / Like

Didnt' leave my passport and just met up with the guy. I consider my self extremely fortunate. This was the owner, I've met him one time to renew the scooter but he was no the original person. I'm not sure if he knows the contract said 1500 deductible but I doubt I was the first or that he would't 't immediately look at that once I told him I wrecked the scooter.

He looked it over and told me it will cost him about 200usd to fix but he'd need to look at it. He said they open tomorrow AM. I asked if he wants to settle it now for 200, he said sure and I went to my room and grabbed him 10200 pesos. He wasn't thrilled but he said it's part of doing business.

I'm going to definitely leave the guy a good review and as lame as this sounds the helmet might have saved me or at least some brain cells. There is a tiny scrap above my eye. IT's not bad but everything else that came into contact got bashed so that could have been it for me, or at least woken up in a hotel room with none of my belongings and not remembering anything.

Either way I'm feeling alot better now and have 2 more nights left in Caberete that I'll be able to enjoy. This was eating at me .

8. Likes Matilda, KateP, bob saunders, Peterj, drstock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

@Stampmybook, best part of it all you had enough sense to wear a helmet.............

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stampmybook View Post
    Didnt' leave my passport and just met up with the guy. I consider my self extremely fortunate. This was the owner, I've met him one time to renew the scooter but he was no the original person. I'm not sure if he knows the contract said 1500 deductible but I doubt I was the first or that he would't 't immediately look at that once I told him I wrecked the scooter.

He looked it over and told me it will cost him about 200usd to fix but he'd need to look at it. He said they open tomorrow AM. I asked if he wants to settle it now for 200, he said sure and I went to my room and grabbed him 10200 pesos. He wasn't thrilled but he said it's part of doing business.

I'm going to definitely leave the guy a good review and as lame as this sounds the helmet might have saved me or at least some brain cells. There is a tiny scrap above my eye. IT's not bad but everything else that came into contact got bashed so that could have been it for me, or at least woken up in a hotel room with none of my belongings and not remembering anything.

Either way I'm feeling alot better now and have 2 more nights left in Caberete that I'll be able to enjoy. This was eating at me .
    You're extremely lucky. Give the man a little extra like $250.

11. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stampmybook View Post
    I......................

I guess my other question is there a cheaper way than 100 bucks that is safe to get to STI?
    Several options:
    1. Uber. I used it a few months ago from the Santiago airport to Sosua (via Moca/Sabaneta route). It was about 2300 pesos (<$50 US).
    2. MetroBus or CaribeTours bus. Take a carrito/publico from Cabarete to Sosua (50 pesos). Then take either of the buses to Santiago (bus is about 280 pesos IIRC. Look up the bus schedules on line.) MetroBus has maybe 5-6 buses/day, while CaribeTours is every hour from around 5am-10pm. Then take a taxi from the Santiago bus station to the airport (negotiate the price before you get in the cab. Anywhere from 500-1000esos).
    3. Negotiate the day before directly with a taxi driver for a better price. Tourist taxi will try and stay firm with a high price. Independent taxi or carrito would probably do it for much less.

Good luck. And let us know how things work out with both situations.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Contrary to popular opinion, not all Dominicans are out to gouge you. A friend of mine in Cabarete rents scooters - maybe he's the one you rented from(?).

They expect their rentals to get banged up - part of doing business like he told you. The honest ones just want their rental bike back working and in the same condition - not a brand new scooter.

The kid told you 200-300 to fix it and the owner told you 200. Like I said - he was being honest. It's amazing how cheaply they can fix things down here.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Good fortune for you. I'm surprised, but then again, I'm often surprised by things still.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast