Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATM Fees

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etolw View Post
    I totally refuse to use ATM´s that charge 195 dop transaction fees. Fortunately where I stay in Cabarete there are some ATM´s that does not charge this fee. Also, the last months I have only used my Banco Santo Cruz debit card for withdrawals/payments. Transferring funds from my foreign bank account is less costly if you do a sufficient large transaction, because the ATM`s always charge you an international ATM fee, in my case 2% of the amount withdrawn.

The 195 dop fee has surfaced the recent years, if people simply refuse to use those ATM´s maybe it goes away (dream mode on...)
    Which ones in Cabarete don't charge th 195 peso fee? All the ones I've used so far do.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this is not off topic. But is there a standard daily limit on ATM withdrawals for international ATM users?

Thanks

Rob

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Which ones in Cabarete don't charge th 195 peso fee? All the ones I've used so far do.
    Scotiabank and the ATM at the corner at Janet´s. I have not used those the last month, but hope they still do not charge.
    (Scotiabank had a period when they charged a fee, but that ceased last year)

4. Likes cavok liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NanSanPedro View Post
    Hopefully this is not off topic. But is there a standard daily limit on ATM withdrawals for international ATM users?

Thanks

Rob
    No, banks has different limits, consult your bank. The ATM itself can have a limit lower than your bank (normally does not)

During banking hours, you can go into the bank and make withdrawals of any amount with a teller. If you need to withdraw a large amount of money, this is the best and safest way to do it.

You can also call your bank and ask to temporarily raise your limit, whether the ATM withdrawal or debit purchase limit.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Rob
    In my experience it's 10,000 pesos.

7. Likes etolw liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My bank account has a limit which equals 140 000 dop pr. day, and not more than 240 000 dop in 4 days.
    But I have encountered problems in DR when I withdraw more than 40 000 dop from one ATM.
    (Multiple withdrawals a´ 10k each)
    Last edited by etolw; 07-11-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

La Nacional de ahorros y prestamos (Sosua opposit the PN) has no fee and a high limit (at least 20'000RD$) for withdrawals....

10. Likes etolw, cavok, Uzin liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

OP, I have seen that DOP$195 showing but deducting $250 after, but that was 4 or 5 years ago, I am amazed it is still showing that, I first thought it was because the fees increased and they did not fix the software, but maybe it is due to different cards are charged differently and software can only show one thing. In any case, don't waste your breadth for 55p, move on...Find another ATM, try La Nacional , they don't charge some foreign cards and give 20k on one transaction - as mentioned.

Be careful with any ATM that is not attached to a bank or inside a bank, all those in shops are not safe either, well, better than some others, but not quite.

Charles Schwab also offers normal bank account with ATM card etc. (can open account online), for Americans only though....

Best is to open an account in local banks, then use ATM inside the bank, I see you are already working on it....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Rob
    Depends it seems on the individual machine. I hit some that say I have exceeeded my daily limit when it is my fiorst transaction of the day. SO I go to thew next machine in line. Off topic here, but a taxi left me at thge airport at Rio Negro Colombia and I had to hit 7 machines before |I found one that gave me cash. The taxi was about to abandon my luggage when I went back out and paid him. I tossed in an extra $10.00 tip for his trouble and anxiety!
    Derfish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Depends it seems on the individual machine. I hit some that say I have exceeeded my daily limit when it is my fiorst transaction of the day. SO I go to thew next machine in line. Off topic here, but a taxi left me at thge airport at Rio Negro Colombia and I had to hit 7 machines before |I found one that gave me cash. The taxi was about to abandon my luggage when I went back out and paid him. I tossed in an extra $10.00 tip for his trouble and anxiety!
    Derfish
    You are lucky to see your luggage again after leaving them with the taxi. I remember a story like that where the guy came back to see the taxi and his luggage gone, never to be seen again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast