Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question guards using weird mosquito repellant that has a fragrance .. what is it?

The guard at my building was using some makeshift plastic bottle with a tube coming out of it that emits some type of bug repellant into the air. It has some fake synthetic "smell good" fragrance to it so I can tell whenever hes using it. It was actually getting into the air in my apartment so I told him I'd like him to stop because I don't like to breathe weird toxic chemicals while I'm relaxing in my home. He stopped but now when I step outside I still smell it in the air. I snuck around looking for his makeshift bottle outside but I did not find it. I believe its the guard next door using it at night.

It completely pollutes the fresh ocean air on my balcony and I can't even enjoy being outside at night because of this. Does anyone know what this stuff is and why its used with some makeshift bottle?

On a side note I don't see why everyone has some big problem with mosquitos here. I'm a city boy and they don't even bother me. Polluting the air you breathe because of some bugs is absolutely zombie-like behavior that will make you sick with time. And you won't even know why.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dengue and chikungunya are a pretty big problem here.

3. Likes ramesses, sylindr liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine it is something which is home-made and probably not got too many chemicals in it. Poor people in the barrios tend to make a lot of things like this from plants. They can't afford the expensive sprays like Off which us gringos use, but in my experience their remedies work incredibly well. I'm trying to remember what they use to repel mosquitos, I think it's something to do with those little green limoncillo fruits.

Personally I would let him get on with it. If you've had dengue or chikungunya you'll know why it's a good idea to keep the mosquitos out of the way.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo_dude View Post
    "...................

On a side note I don't see why everyone has some big problem with mosquitos here. I'm a city boy and they don't even bother me. Polluting the air you breathe because of some bugs is absolutely zombie-like behavior that will make you sick with time. And you won't even know why.
    I believe I’ve read studies that say it has to do with genetics/blood type/chromosome composition, etc. mosquitoes are attracted to bite certain people. And other people seem to have a natural mosquito “repellant” in their DNA. So consider yourself lucky, city boy.

And as previously stated above, mosquitos transmit many diseases.

But as to your original query, why don’t you just ask the security guard what’s in the bottle?

6. Likes ramesses liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a little mosquito that bit me and I got chikungunya. Not a nice thing to have. I am vigilant on ridding mosquitos in my area.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramesses View Post
    I had a little mosquito that bit me and I got chikungunya. Not a nice thing to have. I am vigilant on ridding mosquitos in my area.
    ..I had Dengue a few years ago... serious problem, repellant is a good thing..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    ..I had Dengue a few years ago... serious problem, repellant is a good thing..
    I have had dengue and zikka ....... i still will not spray my skin with chemicals...... thank you very much.

At most, i will light one of those coil repellent thingies.

10. Likes USA DOC liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Timotero View Post
    I believe I’ve read studies that say it has to do with genetics/blood type/chromosome composition, etc. mosquitoes are attracted to bite certain people. And other people seem to have a natural mosquito “repellant” in their DNA. So consider yourself lucky, city boy.

And as previously stated above, mosquitos transmit many diseases.

But as to your original query, why don’t you just ask the security guard what’s in the bottle?
    Fifty years ago my wife started taking birth control pills and it seemed to draw the mosquitoes to her body big time.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Fifty years ago my wife started taking birth control pills and it seemed to draw the mosquitoes to her body big time.
    Thanks for the info. I will make sure to avoid those in the future.

13. Likes Big, Dubcreator liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo_dude View Post
    The guard at my building was using some makeshift plastic bottle with a tube coming out of it that emits some type of bug repellant into the air. It has some fake synthetic "smell good" fragrance to it so I can tell whenever hes using it. It was actually getting into the air in my apartment so I told him I'd like him to stop because I don't like to breathe weird toxic chemicals while I'm relaxing in my home. He stopped but now when I step outside I still smell it in the air. I snuck around looking for his makeshift bottle outside but I did not find it. I believe its the guard next door using it at night.

It completely pollutes the fresh ocean air on my balcony and I can't even enjoy being outside at night because of this. Does anyone know what this stuff is and why its used with some makeshift bottle?

Maybe its an organic compound with a pepper scent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast