Are some there yet?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Kenyan Officers in Haiti
Kenya will begin to deploy police officers to Haiti to lead a UN-authorized multinational mission to quell gang violence. The officers—some of whom have experience fighting Islamist insurgent groups near Somalia—will constitute 1,000 of the 2,500-person security force that is largely financed by the US.

More than 1,500 people have been killed in Haiti so far this year, and hundreds of thousands have fled as gangs control 80% of the capital of Port-au-Prince. One of them—the Crips-inspired 5 Segonn—is among the country’s leading cocaine traffickers, with ties to the 2021 assassination of Haiti’s then-president.

Kenya's decision to deploy officers comes after a series of court-ordered delays and as Haiti’s main airport reopened for the first time in three months. In addition to Kenya, a number of countries have offered personnel for the mission, including the Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Chad, and Jamaica.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Kenyan Officers in Haiti
Kenya will begin to deploy police officers to Haiti to lead a UN-authorized multinational mission to quell gang violence. The officers—some of whom have experience fighting Islamist insurgent groups near Somalia—will constitute 1,000 of the 2,500-person security force that is largely financed by the US.

More than 1,500 people have been killed in Haiti so far this year, and hundreds of thousands have fled as gangs control 80% of the capital of Port-au-Prince. One of them—the Crips-inspired 5 Segonn—is among the country’s leading cocaine traffickers, with ties to the 2021 assassination of Haiti’s then-president.

Kenya's decision to deploy officers comes after a series of court-ordered delays and as Haiti’s main airport reopened for the first time in three months. In addition to Kenya, a number of countries have offered personnel for the mission, including the Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Chad, and Jamaica.
This can't be done without collateral damage and just see what they do to israel right now. Let's wait and see.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Kenyan soldiers are in Israel?
You don't get the point. I those days the woke left is supporting the aggressor and not the victim. Just imagene some skinny bystanders get shot while the kenians are battling these gangs. In 5 minutes you have CNN and the Times reporting about the exessive Force of the Kenian troops on the ground. Or do you think you can negotiate this gangs to dead ??? There will be raids. This animals need to be hunted down in their homes. There will be children and women. Some of them will die. THIS IS CALLED WAR.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You don't get the point. I those days the woke left is supporting the aggressor and not the victim. Just imagene some skinny bystanders get shot while the kenians are battling these gangs. In 5 minutes you have CNN and the Times reporting about the exessive Force of the Kenian troops on the ground. Or do you think you can negotiate this gangs to dead ???
Sorry. I don't understand.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I get the point.
If the soldiers are to be effective in hunting down the gangs and bringing them to bay...there will be collateral damage.
The gangs are not exactly the sort to play by anybody's rules of engagement and they certainly will not be averse to using women, children and the elderly as pawns in their fight.
I wish them (the Kenyans) the best but...
I am not optimistic.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Leftist are going to throw a fit when once these troops start handling business.
I give it one month and this will end due to pressure from within.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
After the recent three day bromance between the US President and the Kenyan President in Washington, the Kenyans are obligated to make an appearance in Haiti and stay the course regardless of the outcome. Someone said politics makes for strange bedfellows. The US using Kenya as an ally to counter increasing Russian world influence is strange to me. As if Kenya’s support is going to change the Russian agenda. At least Biden was honest when he said sending the Kenyans to Haiti was better than sending in US troops during a joint press conference with the Kenyan leader.

I guess selling your political soul goes both ways. In this case the price won’t be cheap for the US. $300 million plus to fund the Haiti intervention and unwavering support for an IMF bailout for Kenya. For Kenya, the cost is military lives. Hopefully not too many but that remains to be seen.

If anyone still thinks the Kenyan government motives weren’t mercenary, I have a deed to the Brooklyn Bridge if they want to purchase it.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
The council said Tuesday that it met with top Haitian police brass to discuss the multinational mission. “Haiti, through the Haitian National Police, will have overall control of all aspects of the field mission,” including the mission’s composition, aims, rules of engagement and health precautions, it emphasized in a statement on X.

Kenya is currently finalizing preparations for the mission, the country’s principal secretary of foreign affairs Korir Sing’Oei said Sunday, citing the successful creation of the council and other institutions in Haiti as key conditions. “In view of that and in view of the decision of the courts in our republic essentially guiding how Kenya should be able to carry out this deployment, lots of reciprocal agreements were entered into between Kenya and Haiti, which facilitates Kenya’s ability to deploy.

And we are in the process — our government is in the process of finalizing preparation to deploy.”

And therein lies the rub.
Who calls the shots?
Both sides jockeying for the role of top dog.
I can't see this ending well.
Power struggles rarely do.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
$300 million is chump change to the US. We can print trillions out of thin air at the drop of a hat.
ideology + stupidity = disaster.
I wonder where Uncle Sam is planning on housing all of these soon to be "refugees"???

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Kenyan police advance team leaves Haiti as international mission is delayed.​

Is anyone counting the delays on this? Is there an over/under?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Kenyan police advance team leaves Haiti as international mission is delayed.​

CR. This is beyond belief and is undermining the morale of the Haitian police and the other multinational forces. Logistical issues, I suspect, is a euphemism for, more money has to grease our palms before we commit all our resources. The Haitian police force is learning the hard way that the Kenyan support can and may disappear in the blink of an eye. Not a good start to an intervention already on very shaky foundations. I suspect some gang leaders must be grinning from ear to ear at this latest development.

They should call the intervention Operation Cabarete Bypass. Lots of promises but always delays in delivery.