This is just for a select few....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A few of you are starting to get into the childish personal attacks etc etc. It ends here, those that continue will have their posts deleted or put on global ignore.

I've had enough and so have many of our regular readers going by the number of emails I have received in the last 48hrs.

Also, the same applies to those posters that continually drag threads into different directions or post garbage in threads.
The same fate applies awaits those people as well.

You have been warned so don't complaining when you posts get deleted or never appear on the board.

Dam, sometimes I feel like a school teacher addressing a bunch of naughty kids, very sad!

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Having a rough time?

having a rough weekend rob?

have a presidente or two buddy. england is winning!!

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
I am one of those "select few"

First, let me apologize to the sponsors/owners of this board for my mis-use of their forum

More importantly, I hope the ?regular? posters will accept this apology. From the lack of ?normal? posts during my recent ?tit for tat? arguments with my Canadian friends, I realize that you did not receive the same amusement as I from this personal issue

Again, my apology

Janice

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Long overdue.....

Robert,

Am I confused? My perception of DR1 is a place where people who have questions about the Dominican Republic can get answers and where everyone with an interest in the Dominican Republic can exchange information and ideas about the Dominican Republic. If that, or something more or less along those lines, is correct, then it means you are likely to need to make considerable use of the red pencil, at least at the start.

Once posts start getting deleted, we'll all have a better idea regarding the views of you and Dolores with respect to the mission of DR1. Some people won't like it, but there are a lot of message boards out there.

I'm especially glad that you mentioned jerking threads in different directions. That's been my major gripe. Someone asks a question about the Dominican Republic because they want information, only to see the thread they started hijacked by a humorist or someone who wants to initiate an unrelated conversation with one of the previous posters in that thread.

As long as there is an "open" section and as long as you permit almost anything to be posted there, anyone has the ability to initiate a thread which they expect (hope) will generate controversy. Fine. But when the thread is started by someone who wants information, seems to me the responses should be focused on the question.

I have often wondered whether showing the number of posts made by an individual has done more harm than good.

Good luck. You have my support and, I'm certain, that of many others.

Ken

PS: Yes, I am having a good day. A presidente or two will make no difference; I'll still feel the same way.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My apologies, as well, Rob, Dolores, and others...I should've started everything by using private mail rather than using the forum.

Keep up the good work, you are appreciated, and are doing a fantastic job.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My apologies as well.......

If some of us weren't so quick to take exception and others not so fast on the attack the board would be more as it was meant to be.
We would all do well to remember that when posting on the "open" forum the opinions expressed are those of the authors of the post not necessarily factual or scientifically derived but opinions to which each and every one of us is entitled to have. We would also do well to remember (Rob please do remind us more-we can be so forgetful) that sometimes it is best to keep ones opinions to oneself!
Like Ken I find the highjacking of threads distressing especially when the original poster is asking for information. Many times I've tried to steer things back on course to no avail and many times I too have been guilty of hijacking.
Also private messages are just that "PRIVATE" and should be kept so.
May Rob and Dolores and the other posters forgive us all!

Last edited:
Agree

I also must apologize for going off on the occasional tangent, it is your board Rob and we love what you are doing. In my humble opinion it is the number 1 message board and travel site available for the DR, take the bull by the horns send emails to whoever you think is ,misusing and say in the Queens Englsh "Cease and dissist", delete whenever you feel appropriate and ban if neceassary. There have been some very personal attacks and a lot of what I call spam (my opinion) or messages leading to no where, so could have been done by PM or email and rightly should have been.
You have expanded the board to aid the members, so we should use what has been availed to us properly.
Give me moderator rights and I'll certainly hit the delete button a hell of a lot more than you and dolores have. You have been very patient and I appreciate what you are doing.

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Well Robert ...

As one who has been a victim of these types of posts I will add the following comments:

Perhaps what we need are some RULES for Posters so that we can all enjoy playing in the sand box .... I suggest the following:

1. Don't make assumptions ... ask questions
2. Don't attack a person's character
3. Demonstrate respect for others who find themselves in unfortunate and disadvantaged life situations, such as the poor, the sex-workers etc
4. Learn to distinguish facts from opinions or experiences
5. State your opinions and experiences as just that opinions and experiences
6. Accept that you don't know everything ...If you don't know the answer to a question ... don't answer ... leave it for someone else
7. Be mindful of the fact that the originator of the post may want to rely on your answer
8. Alway remember the Golden Rule ...Do unto others as you ~~~

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2002
You're right Rob, this is your board and you are entitled to do what you want with it. This board is mainly for ex-pats or those that are going to live in the DR for the first time. I'm deeply sorry that I have caused so much harm here. You have a been a gentleman always and even though we never got the pleasure to meet or others on this board I hope there are no bad feelings. There are also intelligent Dominicans like Pib, Mondongo and Golo who can help out. Other expats like Hillbilly, Criss, Jazzcom, El Jefe also add important DR-related stuff. I hope I din't miss out on anyone. This is farewell forever. I guess I'm just bored and my presence here will only hinder any progress that your business is generating. I will always remember the fun I had here and hope you all prosper. Take care and goodbye-this time its for real.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
About time...

Well, Robert, I had really stopped posting because I thought it was a waste of my time engaging in personal insults. Every time I opened a thread it was just "una sarta de ataques personales" and it's really not my style, it takes a lot of energy from me, and I need what little bit I have left.

I think a rational discussion on a subject is healthy as long as it's not taken to the personal level, even insulting another's country or nationality is very low. Some posts really sickened me and sometimes I felt like responding because I felt personally attacked, but I didn't deem it worth it of my time and energy.

Keep up the good work!!!

Lady Marilyn
ballet.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Everyone done "Sucking-Up" to Robert?

Then go to the DR1 Home Page,"click" on Message Boards,"click" on OPEN,"READ"!..."For all those Questions without a home.This is also the place for the latest local GOSSIP and RUMORS,NOT for the Faint Hearted or Easily OFFENDED! Maybe this "description" should be modified,and placed at the top of the OPEN FORUM Page.It looks like contrary to the urging of DR!,many who come here are indeed,"Faint Hearted,and Easily Offended!"My only complaint is that when two people engage in extremely long or multiple postings of,"Hi,Bill,how are you?"......"Good "Sammy" and you"?........."Fine,Bill!"....."Good!"...."Rain much"?,..."No".."Not here either!",..."Oh',...."Oh",..Take it to the Chat Room,or E-Mail!Same with the "You Suck"!,.."No You Suck"!...I said "You Suck" first! "Did Not","Did TOO","Liar",........."Liar",......."Liar"! ....."Big Liar"!."Huge Liar"!"Bigger Liar"!.........E-Mail It!........I am very glad to read that "Onions & Carrots" will be leaving DR1,never to return.(Wanna Bet?)"O&C",before you go,"LIAR"!...Crisco

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Rob ?????????

Rob, sometimes you can be real JACK ASS. Lighten up.

While the rest of the people will kiss your ass when you are down.

I will not !!!!.

You have got a GREAT web site. And for the most part you understand that web is greater than one country or one person or one topic.

Rob, 5 years ago I had very successful website that had 50 000 unique vistors every day. The "Pepperboy Report" almost got be banned from the USA,. But it was the funnest time of my life and then I walked away.

Enjoy what you got.... Some of the friends you meet here will be the best people you will ever know in your life.

Delete me, Ban me or tell me to F-off but I still think your OK.

Cheers,
MaxxJaxx

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thank you for your insightful comment, it's been filed in the appropriate place :)

Me down? Obviously you have no idea who your talking about...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Robert, What happened to the bifurcated Open Forum idea?

Edited to add: I'm looking for the knee pads. Who forgot to put them back?

Last edited:

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
PM

I rather like the PM idea, stops blind following and increasing attacks by people who only know their "friend" needs support

The only problem I see is many of the instigators of the recent battle fail to allow this feature, instead Hitting" then complaining DR 1 failed to act when they were the perpetrators

And yes, If I feel that a PM I receive is of pertinent value to others, I WILL post it, anything sent to me becomes my property, not that of the sender.

PM time

Janice

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why the continued references to the strings we are all trying to forget and rise above? Are you going out of your way to keep the pot boiling?

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Yes PIB, ditto

The old "shoot and duck" master. You fire the first volleys, step back and pretend to be the aggrieved party. Your exalted status as "Goddess" may fool some, but not this one.

Is there a particular reason you choose to avoid PM's, you don't have to answer them?

Janice

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Question for Rob........?????

Does this mean we're going to lose Private Messaging?
Or will a disclaimer be posted regarding individuals who don't consider "private" messages to be confidential?
I can see sending an offensive or threatening PM to you so you can take appropriate action regarding the individual who sent it but I'd hate to lose the feature because of messages being posted to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.