Kids in the DR

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
One of my favorite spring and summer past times here in Canada is to the "Garage or Yard Sale Thing". I get-up really early on Saturday mornings to be the first in line to get those little treasures that I seek out at every and all yard sales. I do best at community yard sales in family residential neighborhoods where mutiple families are participating, lining both sides of the street with their tables, all nicely laid out with their wares.

I boldly approach each table and quickly scan the contents for those prized little items each costing 25 or 50 Canadian cents but no more that $1.00 (I refuse to pay more than a dollar).

When I find them, my normally ever-present social justice morals evaporate, and I quickly gather them ALL up ... too bad for those who are comming behind me .. there IS NONE left for them. Shamelessly, I pay the owner and quickly move onto the the next house down the street and the next owner, often zig-zagging across the street, looking to duplicate the process all over again.

What am I buying .... CHILDREN'S BOOKS .... books read by preschool and primary grade children in Canada.

What do I do with these books ... every time I travel to a developing country one package of Books travels with me, to be distributed to children who are from poorer families whoes limited income doesn't afford them to buy luxury items such as recreational reading books for their children. These books in the past have been distributed to children's homes and orphanages, church groups, and other social and humanitarian organizations which sponsor and endorse literacy as a means of breaking the cycle of poverty.

Now for my problem. These books are in English. This hasn't been a problem for me in the past because my travels have been to English speaking islands/counties of the Caribbean. However my next trip will be to the DR where the language is Spanish and I need to know whether these books will be of any value there.

I know that children enjoy looking at the pictures and illustrations in the book but I would like the books to have some value beyond just that ... as it is my personal passion that even when a child owns nothing ... they should own a book, and every child should learn to read, not just to decode sounds to form words .. but to learn to read for knowledge and understanding.

So in a nutshell .. will these English books be of any value in the DR and can anyone suggest a credible organization through which to distribute them.

All edits are for spelling, grammer, and missing words

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's a great idea, but the children you are accustomed to reaching don't speak or read English in the DR and are unlikely to benefit from anything but the pictures.

I'd suggest you consider giving them to one of the private schools that has a bilingual program and whose student body includes Dominican children being sent because the parents desire them to get mastery in English. I'm sure those books could be used in the classrooms and library of the school.

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks Ken

This is a great idea. Honestly this is a segment of the population that I had never considered before ... those children who need additional tools to master English.

I had always focus on the economics side of it, believing that if parents can afford private schools they can also afford to buy recreational reading books for their children. I hadn't considered access to the books themselves.

But I haven't given up on the poor and the disavantaged kids .. so you guys keep working away on this for me. Unforunately this is one part of the process that I can't do on my own ... so I am counting on yous.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A lot of the 'private" schools are church or NGO sponsored and they might be able to help you. I seem to remember one that helps poor kids in Sosua...if you run a search you can probably find it or wait and someone will post it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think that El Jefe is right about scholarship children being accepted by at least some of the private schools. Sorry that I can't be more specific; maybe someone else can.

Keep in mind that children's books in English are no where near as available in the Dominican Republic as in Canada. Those that are here are expensive, as is importing these books from the US. Also, the private schools are not well funded, depending on fees, proceeds from raffles and proceeds from flea-market type sales, etc. The free-reading books available to the children, regardless which is their native language and what is their income level, are much scarcer than what you are accustomed to in Canada.

One thing is sure, the books you bring can be put to good use.

(PS: I have been on most of the English-speaking islands of the Caribbean and can easily imagine how excited those children were to get your books.)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
NoMo....there are many "levels" of private

schools in the DR. Those for "rich" kids and those for the working poor. For example four of the children in our condo complex attend the "rich" kid private school. However, my maid sends her daughter to a "working poor" kids school. She pays 1200 pesos a month because she knows her daughter is receiving a better education than she would at a "public" school and she does take an English class. These schools would love to have English books to help expand their students knowledge.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Excellent idea, Jefe

Here is the link for the Sosua Kids Association:

Sosua Kids Association

Good luck, and keep up the great work, NoMoreSnow. PS...garage saling is an addiction for me, too.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I know, that I have gotten very cheap spanish books and colouring books from Canada, in discount book stores or warehouses. I always get mine from the Book Factory, before I make my trip. Spanish books are a lot more beneficial than english in most parts.

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
El Jefe, Ken And MommC

Thanks, I am glad to say that at this late stage in my life I am still learning... thanks for the "reframing" ... I do need to shift from a North American paradigm ...

Most of the children do enjoy the books ... but unfortunately not the ones who need them the most. Just a sad note on one of my experiences of delivering books. Last year I made a donations of books and developmental toys to one of the orphanages in Jamaica. An official of the home took me to a LOCKED room which was full of shelved books, and the books appeared to be held as items in a national archive. I asked her why were the books locked away and why were the children not reading them. She responded that the kids would "rip them up". And it appeared that this was true as the children were "wild, unrully and out of control". I only made this comment to show that the giving of tools aren't enough if the corresponding attitude isn't there.

For me comming from an environment where small children in day care centre are given stimulating activities ... and opportunity to choose between many different activities ...and having everything placed within their reach ....and having interested adults who will sit with them during "circle time" and read and share with them, I was very sadden for the children at that orphanage who I knew wouldn't receive the benefits of the books.

This is why I try very hard to have the books distributed through organizations that value and actively support literacy initiates. It's not just enough to have the "tools" ... the tools have to be implemented.. what can I say there is still a lot of work that need to be done in the area before attitudes will change.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
NoMoreSnow, that is a great idea! I have been collecting a bunch of Spanish books along the way too, because I hope to start a library in an orphanage in Esperanza someday soon! I will start the project officially in Sept.

I have worked with kids there and I agree with the rest that English books will not be as useful. But like others said, there will be a certain amount of kids that would enjoy them! Really basic level baby books could teach english too.

Let me know if you do find a good place to get spanish books though, because I might want to ask later. I do know that some companies such as Houghton Mifflin, that will donate books they have in spanish, but it usually has to come from a non-profit organization.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ihtown, I started a new string with your question.

Look for the new string I started with an answer to your question. That way we won't get NoMoreSnow's thread veered into a different direction before she gets her answers.

Ken

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Others of like mind

it appears that there are others such as Bugsey34 who are doing similar things ... speak up .... I would like to know who you are .. its much easier to work as part of a network that doing it solo ..