How difficult is to open an American business in DR?

Daly

Sep 20, 2002
I am currently taking a class in International Business and for my project I have decided to introduce Blockbuster or a similar business to the Dominican Republic. Now I've checked with, unfortunately only my brother till date, and he's advised that DR doesn't have a Movie rental place, such as Blockbuster. I will need to check with the relatives who do live in DR, instead of those who just visit to see if this is true. Anyway, my two questions are as follows:
Can you give me some guidance as to where I can go to get information on locale, population in and around these locations, competition and all the other good stuff?

Another unfortunate thing is that I have not been in DR since 88, and its' embarrasing to even say that, now the other question is: How modernized is Santiago de los Caballeros, and do you think this would be a perfect city for such a business, or do you think Santo Domingo would be better suited?

jdiaz

Sep 10, 2002
at the DR1 homepage, on the upper right hand side double click on business. You'll probably find all the info you need to start a business in DR. Also, go through the archives. You'll find a treasure chest of info there. The members here are very knowledgable and ready to share their expertise and personal experiences.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
There are video rental places in SD

Daly,
Your brother is wrong. There are several video rental places in Santo Domingo, although it's been 3 yrs since I lived there, so I don't recall their names.
A similar question was posted on the DR1 board just a couple of months ago, so a check in the archives should yield some of the info you're looking for. As I recall, Dolores or someone nearly as authoritative answered that the video rental business in SD has considated into 2 or so majors and the market is limited. Please recall that the DR has an excellent cable TV system, movies at the theater are still relatively cheap and that unauthorized copying of videos and TV transmissions is widespread there, and that will affect your market outlook.
Good luck with your project.
Best regards,
Keith

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I think Mr. Movies (followed by Movie Max) is the largest chain of rental video stores in SD. There is at least one in each middle/high income neighborhood here. There are also a few "specialties" video rental stores, like for European movies and such.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There are movie rental places in San Pedro also!!

When I was there the proprietor was scounting Juan Dolio to see if it would be worth while opening a small outlet there as quite a few of his customers were from the Juan Dolio, Guayacanes, Los Conocos area.
So it must be fairly lucrative..........
With all the TV's and VCR's in the DR I don't see why it wouldn't be! Especially now that there's more power every day to run them....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I assume this is just a paper project? If it's reality, you need to attend a few more classes ;)

This is a market you need to work and be active in.
No US business school can prepare you for doing business in the Dominican Republic :)

I hear Nagua doesn't have a video store...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Daly said:
Now I've checked with, unfortunately only my brother till date, and he's advised that DR doesn't have a Movie rental place, such as Blockbuster. How modernized is Santiago de los Caballeros, and do you think this would be a perfect city for such a business, or do you think Santo Domingo would be better suited?

There is a huge video store, very nice rental and sales operation in SDQ plus at least one other one in Plaza Central.

I think you may be the only person who refers to Santiago by its whole name although I have even seen it written as Santiago de Los Triente Caballeros as well. 30 of 'em.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Santo Domingo has video rental stores in any part of the city with a little money, and in the richer parts of town, there is a video rental store every 4 blocks - many will deliver movies to your house as well. Most stores now are at least 50/50 videos/ DVD's.

Daly

Sep 20, 2002
Thank you.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help. Robert thanks for the tip, and yes it is for a class, ;) I don't think I would like to go to DR to work. If anything I would love to go and retire there. Rick, my mom says the same thing, but I love saying and writing "Santiago de los Caballeros" it just sounds so distinguished and beautiful. I was aware that DR had become more modern, but was unaware of the extent. Mommc thanks for pointing out the power issue, jdiaz thanks for the pointer, the more info I can get the better. Well then since you all know more of DR than I, would you be willing to through a few suggestions my way of an American style company that is not yet in DR. I've come up with all types of restaurants, but they all exist in DR, grocery stores, please every town has one. Now my mom said something about a big conglomerate opening a store in DR. Is there a Walmart in DR yet? What about Laundromats? There are enough car washes and gas stations, I should know my godfather opened one and has competition everywhere. HELP!!!

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps herbal medicines or health food stores. I know they have some but I don't think in great numbers. Maybe hypnotists to lose weight or quit smoking or tarot card readers or fortune tellers. I am just guessing here but these are all big money makers in the USA.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anything you can do the DR can do better...

You name it and if it makes money, it is already here.

Santiago de los Caballeros has tons of movie rental, car washes, laundromats, pizzerias, fast foods, etc etc etc...

You will have to come up with something really different.

HB

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
I hear there are several of you in DR just dying for a grade 'A' fresh baked bagel......... ;) just a thought....

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bagels

Actually, Mickey, I believe that there is now a bagel shop in Santo Domingo. Don't know how it stacks up against NYC standards (which are tough to match anywhere outside The City), but it probably satisfies the minimal demand for bagels in SD!
Regards,
Keith

Daly

Sep 20, 2002
I've heard of businesses here in FL who bring down the water from NY for their Pizza's and bagel's. Maybe a business like that in DR in regards to the bagel's would be a good idea.