Yet another Spanish question

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
How would the name Steven be pronounced in Spanish?

Also--- while I am here---is a Dominican goat la cabra or el chivo?

Thanks once again

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Not sure about the Stephen/Steven.......

but Pib can probably set you straight. I think it would be Estavan....
Most goats in the DR are "chibo" with the "v" being pronounced as a "b" so really it's spelled "chivo" and pronounced "chibo".

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks, MQ

I told my son that months ago, but I have no idea where I came up with the name. We are leaving for the DR in a few weeks, and he wants to use his Spanish name.

Got me thinkin' that I had better make sure that it was right!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Oooopppps........

Guess Pib and I were hitting the post reply button about the same time!
I must agree with MQ that I can't believe PIB didn't know that however it's not a common Dominican name.....more to be found in Mexico, Argentina and Spain.
MQ is right in that it would be pronounced "Estaban" however the Spanish spelling would be "Estavan". (We must remember Dominicans pronounce the "v" as "b" as do most Spaniards!!)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If I knew I must have stuffed that information in the corner of my brain where I keep assorted useless stuff (like my name, calling mom, paying bills and such). It's not easy being this old.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
No, MommC...it's spelled "Esteban"...notice the "e" and the "b"...

It doesn't matter how it's pronounced...it's still spelled with a "b"...

There is no such thing as "Dominican" "Colombian" "Venezuelan" or any other country "Spanish"...there is only ONE Spanish language...and the spelling should be adhered to.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Right you are MQ!

Just local variations and dialects!!
I must be thinking in Italian today.......starting to pack my bags and reviewing some high school French for when we get to Paris!!
Sheesh........this just gets too confusing sometimes!!!

Now since I'm trying to be more "politically correct" after the fracas in the trip forum here's a list:

Estavan | Esteban | Estebano | Estebe | Estefan | Estevan | Esteve | Estevon

Taken from:
http://www.kabalarians.com/male/spanishm.htm

The Society of Kalabarians

Take your pick mainer....or better yet let your son oick his own!!
They're all "correct"!!!

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of ugly names in English and Italian too!

But that doesn't stop people from using them!
To each his own.........
I just wanted to show that there is more than one spelling even in Spanish so I went to the name experts to "verify" (doing the politically correct thingy!) Remember that in English there is Steven and Stephen and Stephan and Steve!! How parents spell it when they name a child is up to them! At least mainers' son has a choice of how he wants to do it in Spanish.
I beleive Jazz spells his name in Spanish as Escott for Scot! or is that Scott

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Los Dominicanos

don't call Stephen or Steven by the name of Esteban. They say ETEBAN!!!!

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Steven in Spanish is Steven. just because a person speaks another language that doesn't mean the name is changed. Do you call Santo Domingo "Saint Domminic" in English. I always correct people when they call me Antonio. Its Anthony!

Tony

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
What's it with the latest trend of calling your kids a last name. I have seen some posts from girls meeting sankies named Wilton, Nelson etc. I think they sound horrible in English much less when pronounced with a Spanish accent.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Theresa said:
What's it with the latest trend of calling your kids a last name. I have seen some posts from girls meeting sankies named Wilton, Nelson etc. I think they sound horrible in English much less when pronounced with a Spanish accent.

no worse than Belkys, Amarillys, Brunilde, Aranes......ect.

Tony C.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's been around a while

Theresa said:
What's it with the latest trend of calling your kids a last name. I have seen some posts from girls meeting sankies named Wilton, Nelson etc.

When we lived in the DR, in the 60's, there was a guy who befriended our family, like many others, and his name was Nelson. He was an artist, and a musician. Played in a band called "la revoluci?n de los grillos." He painted a beautiful painting for my mom. It's the only thing of hers that I told her I'd like some day.

I wonder what happened to Nelson...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:
Steven in Spanish is Steven. just because a person speaks another language that doesn't mean the name is changed. Do you call Santo Domingo "Saint Domminic" in English. I always correct people when they call me Antonio. Its Anthony!

Tony makes a good point, mainer. Your name is your name. It's fun to know what your name would be if you had been named in a Spanish-speaking country, but he should stick with his given name.

Look at the major league ball players. I don't recall a player named Juan being called John.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
My name is Stephen.... I have found that spanish speakers cannot pronouce the name properly because it begins with an "S"...

Estevie
Esteben

are the two most common pronouncations i hear. Personally I am happy, as long as they dont call me late for dinner

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Stick to the original question, Tony...

Tony C said:

Tony

I believe mainer wanted to know what the equivalent of Steven would be in Spanish...and I told her...

Of course you don't change a given name in ANY language...

Now, do you mean to tell me your were given the name Anthony, not Antonio when you were born?

Or is it that you dislike Antonio...and think Anthony is more sophisticated...and if so...why do you go by Tony...plain and simple?

For once I liked a reply by golo...ETEBAN!!! LMAO!!!