Response to MommC

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Repsonse to Momm CC

I too know many Italians and others who are fiercly loyal to their home country. However, ask them to move back to their home country and they will get on the plane kicking and screaming.

You know that in Italy, Croatia etc. the standard of living is much lower than in Canada.

They are such hypocrates, they know that they have it good in Canada. Just try to buy a house in Italy. No way. That is why Italians by the biggest house in Canada that they can.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Haven't been keeping up to this one.....but this is for Fred......
Did you know that several years ago over 200,000 Italians from the Toronto region left Canada to move back to Italy? Several from our area did so in the same time period.
I'm not sure about the standard of living in Italy at present (haven't been there to see for myself since '91) but I'll find out when I'm there next month. I do know in the '80's they had free university, free health care and I sure couldn't have afforded to buy the houses they did. (Prices have fallen drastically since the gov't changed the rules regarding tenants- used to be if you had a tenant in your property you could NOT get them out by any means! Even if they died but one of their adult children was living with them the "child" could continue habiting the property. This meant there was a lot of empty houses and apts. waiting for children or grandchildren to move in so prices were astronomical. It has now changed-tenants can be removed and prices plummeted. An apt. our niece bought in 1989 for $650,000 US is now worth only about $350,000. Not bad for an excellent location in Rome!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Where do you get your fact?

The Italian community in Toronto is only about 400,000 are you trying to tell me that half moved back to Italy?

On the street where I live we always get visitors from Itay, they always say how much better life is in Canada. I am not talking about 10 years ago, I am talking about right now.

I grew up with Italians and know the mentality well. Just try to buy a house in Germany or Italy, you will pay well over $500,000 for a small house.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually Fred........

having just come back....$500,000. will get you a small apt. in Rome while in the small town of Entatico just outside Bergamo you can buy a unit in a six unit building for about $2,000 Euro a square meter .
No-one I met while there had the slightest intention of leaving Italy for Can or the US.
While there may be only 400,000 Italians now in Toronto 15-20 years ago there were 600,000. Wonder where they all went???

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
TERRY said:
They all moved to Woodbridge

Terry.

and started home construction businesses : )

just a little note.... my parents built a house last year with this italian contractor.....
class really plays an issue in the fred / mommy conversation.... it's usually the ones with money that go back (from what i hear) since everything IS so much more expansive in italy....

why so many of them go into home construction bus... beats me! however, i do know that they are one of the best people to do business with : ) parents wheeel and deal only with them.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
No doubt a lot of them did move to Woodbridge! But a lot also went home to Italy. Don't forget that back in 1984/5 interest rates were 20% on savings deposits in Italy so you really didn't need a lot of money to move back. Also many of them had homes already in Italy or parents/grandparents who had homes.
I personally have met or knew about a dozen families that returned.