American needing work in DR

caitlin

Oct 31, 2002
I'm considering spending 1-2 years in the DR, but am unsure if I will find work and a decent place to live, or if it is even a reasonable idea.

Based on what I've read it seems likes it's possible, but I don't have many connections there. I have not finished college (going to take "leave of absence"), but I speak spanish fluently and have been to the DR a number of times, but never in search of a job.

On average, How long does it take for a foreigner to get a job? What's the average cost of rent? Is it neccesary to have visas/papers to work if you are not a resident of the DR? What are the best towns/cities for finding work in the tourist industry? Who should I talk to? If anyone has any suggestions or advice, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Caitlin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Caitlin" I love that name! But I'm afraid it is...

Not a good idea. Do a search on the job sites in google and see if anyone is looking for someone who speaks Spanish. Think about this: Just last week there were over 2000 Spanish speaking college graduates unleashed into the job market, here in the Dominican Republic.
Unless you have some "gift", you will be competing with these people and others who are more than qualified. It is one thing to visit and another thing, entirely, to get a job here.
It's funny, all the non-qualified Dominicans are wanting to go to the States and a lot of qualified people from all over are wanting to come here...

HB,
BANJO.GIF

Meaning: In no time at all, we will have the most 'qualified' country in the hemisphere!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Just keep visiting

and you will have more fun and you will never hate us. If you work in this bossy environment, where connections mean everything and most jobs have a political touch to it you will end up with a sour taste.

Besides, do you know what unskilled people like you earn here? You would be considered "poor".

TW

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
It's hard enough for those that do have degrees to get a job there...really don't think you would do any better. sorry........

caitlin

Oct 31, 2002
Thanks-what do i do?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

But, i have to admit they weren't the most encouraging. i do appreciate the honesty though. So, should i forget the idea entirely? Or is there something i can do to improve my chances at making it in the DR. Keep in mind, i'm not trying to make it big, and almost all my time in the DR has been spent in el campo in a very small house, so i'm not expecting much. Frankly, i'm sick of visiting cause i hate leaving. Do people just not do what i'm considering doing? Do they all fail? Give me something guys......

Thanks again

-Caitlin

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Try teaching English as a Second Language. Not knowing anything about your skill set, and realizing the hotel industry is hoping to make it an occupancy number of 50% this year, you may want to switch gears from the tourism sector.

It should improve, but the timetable is uncertain - I would think.

Teaching ESL won't help you pay off your credit cards and school loans, and if those exist you can probably forget about feeding yourself and paying rent.

Forgoing that it should be a breeze - not that you'll see many breezes in S.D. - where you're likely to get paid the most for teaching - and consequently spend the most to live.

It can be done, but you have to have some help, some luck and be malleable.

Definitely don't give up hope though. If the outcome of a challenge is already known, it isn't much of a challenge is it?

If you're dead set on the tourism industry, you can probably do better for yourself on another caribbean island. IMHO anyway.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just take a TESOL course (Teaching English as a Second Language). then you can find work, not luxurious, but decent. You will work yourself to the nub at first but you could make out, albeit modestly..

HB

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Learn how to design, build and test high quality and high efficiency:

a) AC/DC power converters
b) DC/AC power converters
c) AC/AC power converters
d) DC/DC power converters

Do a design that minimizes cost so the middle class can afford them. Then you are golden.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Well..heres my advice. The same I always give. Do what you drweam. If it doesn't work out you can always return. Its a challenge and alot of fun. On November 5th I'll be celebrating my 1 year anniversary living here in Santo Domingo. Many people here on this message board tried to discourage me when I wanted to come here to live. But I have a hard head and did it anyhow. I'm definatly poor but I'm poor and happy. Don't let anyone change your mind. You do what you dream. I just suggest that you keep some money in reserve incase you have to go back home. It isn't easy here but its worth all the frustration.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Take Jans advice go for your dream but do it wisely.
Look into Hillbillys advice hes usually real smart about things or he doesnt give the advice.
Pease please please dont tell us you want to come here for some guy you met.
Good luck
Johnny
:cool:

caitlin

Oct 31, 2002
Thanks again to everyone for their replies.
The power converter idea is right up my alley, thanks mondongo (how did you get that name? I'd love to know!!!)
But in case that doesn't work, what's the qiuckest way to get TESOL certification?
What about translating jobs, either for business or tourists?
Or, a nanny for an American or English family?
Hey Jhonny- what if i am going there for "some guy i met?" Then what?

Thanks to all-keep em' coming......

Caitlin

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Caitlin
Read the threads on this subject it could make a difference in what you will do with your future and save you a lot of pain and heartache.Use your brain not your heart you seem to be a n intelligent girl
Johnny
By the way,you spell johnny(jhonny)just like every Dominican ive met in 16 years,if this is another sock puppet ignore the above message,if not sorry but im fairly suspicious lately due to the nature of a lot of posts on this board

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Sorry
Forget the last part about sock puppets,i just saw your post about volunteer work.I guess im getting a little paranoid these days because of all the useless crap thats been going on,it makes me leery about giving advice

caitlin

Oct 31, 2002
Jhonny....i mean Johnny, sorry for the misspelling, but you know, since i'm talking about the DR, my mind is in that mode. I'm definitely no puppet, just a 20 yr. old Americana. Don't be so paranoid. Give me as much advice as you want. I have read many of the threads on the subject, and it seems like all dominican men are mujeriegos, and they cheat and cheat and cheat and cheat again. Es verdad? You seem to be well informed, tell me.

Caitln

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Caitlin
As anyone who has been here long term will tell you just be careful,if someone is looking for love you rarely will find it with tourism oriented dominicans,there are exceptions to every rule many of us have found our life mates here ,but those people understand they will not be getting visas or such in the deal
Te cuida
Johnny

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
"Hay de todo en la Vina del Senor", the saying goes. "There is a little bit of everything in God's Vineyard." There are good and bad dominicans, mujeriegos y no. The latter seem to prevail in resort towns. Just be careful and don't trust too soon. Just like any place else.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Go for it Caitlyn!

I say live your dreams! If you don't then what is the point of them? Definently listen to Jan's advice! I am a few years older than you, but I am also moving to the Dominican in 2 years time for awhile. It is possible, just know your stuff beforehand. Research a lot and know the locals where you will be staying, as they will be a great source of knowledge and support as well. What is the harm in trying, if it means that much to you! On the job front, best of luck as well! You never know what will happen! Just live it!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Before you take JAN's advice

Remember, Jan says I am happy here, but I am poor. Do you want to be poor in DR?

Here's something else. Jan can easily say follow your dreams and let the chips fall where they may. But, are you as good looking as Jan?

I believe part of the reason Jan is happy and has been able to make amends is that she has an easy time making friends because she is a "good looking foreigner". What man would refuse to talk to this lady? Who would not give her a job?
She goes to a Colmadon and I am sure men would go crazy trying to buy her a beer and play dominoes with her. She goes to a club and she will not run short of dancers.

Of course, she claims she is poor because she appears to be very honest and doesn't sell herself as a product, as many Dominixcan women do. But, if she used her looks and body to attract wealth, she would not be poor. I guarantee you that.

TW