New vacation - need advice

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
My girlfriend and I was in Sosua in July 2001. It was a wonderful vacation, and we're thinking about going there again in the summer of 2004.
We loved the city, but it was pretty dead at that time. So this time we would like a place, which is a bit more alive :). The beach was wonderful, so the beach is an important factor too.

This time my girlfriend would like to go to the Caribbean Sea, so perhaps Boca Chica is the solution? But as far as I remember from reading threads in this forum, Boca Chica is pretty much infested with hookers?

How about Punta Cana. How are the beaches? Is there alot of tourists, many restaurants and stores etc.?

Which resorts (AI and non-AI) would you recommend for two young people in their early 20's (Punta Cana, Boca Chica or perhaps a 3rd place)?

How are the beaches on the different locations?

If we want to rent a car, I've read that you must be atleast 21 years old. But are there any rules, like you had to have your drivers-license for 2 years or something to rent a car? They have rules like that somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a couple of things

If you are "in your early 20s" You must be over 21, so no sweat.

If you are that young, then only Boca Chica and its crowd would do for you. the places out East are for families and older, very wealthy crowds...

Perhaps the best place would be Cabarete, which is geared to young surfers, wind kiting and wind surfing. It is probably the yuoungest crowd and the busiest good beach at that time of the year....

Just my 2? worth....

HB

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
Well, I am 24.

Regarding Carbarete, we've been there but we don't like the beach so much. My girlfriend isn't too fund of the big waves :).

I'm not talking about parties every night and such, but just a bit mure lively than Sousa in the summer of 2001.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Las Terrenas, Samana is another option, with their beach strip. Downside with Samana is that you need to take a three-four hour trip whether you land at POP (Puerto Plata) International or AILA (Santo Domingo). But for all of us who love Samana, it definitely is worth it.

http://dr1.com/travel/samana/

You may also consider Juan Dolio, which puts you equal distance from Boca Chica and La Romana, so you have lots of options. The restaurants are also good in this area.

http://dr1.com/travel/juandolio/

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Juan Dolio would be a good "central" location.

Nice beach with no high waves.....
Not much night life left in the area but Guilia's is fun Monday nights and it's just a short cab ride in to Boca Chica where they close off the main drag at night and bring tables/chairs out onto the street. We enjoyed the nights we spent there this winter.
Santo Domingo has lots to offer for night life and some of the board members who live there can give you a better idea where to go for your age group!!

Winker

Mar 3, 2003
This January I took a 17, 22 and 23 year old to Puerto Plata. They loved the beach, they loved the nightlife and I love the city.

We stayed in the Playa Dorada Hotel Zone, (I have stayed at the Paradise and Villa Dorada and Jack Tar - they take good care of you at all locations) but went into the city with locals every night, lots to see and do, my favorite thing was strolling down the malecon at night talking with the locals and sipping on a presidente, listening to music pump out of the cars parked on the roadside and dancing in empty parking spaces.

One of our group cannot swim but even she went into the ocean because there were no high waves.

No high pressure timeshare pushers or merchants on the beach.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
If you want night-life and people watching the best place is the Capital(Santo Domingo) But there is one problem. No beach. Why not spend a few days in the Capital then a few days at a south coast resort. Best of both worlds.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Driving a car in the Dr is a fun experience!

I am from Boston Massachusetts so I like driving here,but you may not! It is expensive to rent,and if you do rent,get all the extra insurance offered!Otherwise,if you have an accident,you will pay a lot!Dominican roaads are full of huge holes,you will not see them at night bcause there are few lights,and everyone uses their "HIGH BEAMS" all the time.Dominicans drink and "attempt" to drive!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I don't think there is a concern as how long you have had your license as long as you are able to pay. Regards, PJT