In the long term, might be just better to let Hippo win...

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
If I were a presidential candidate, I'm not sure that it is in my best interest and that of my party to win this coming election.

For one thing, the next president will have to preside over a government that not only will have empty coffers but will have to implement draconian austerity measures, just to get handouts from the international community. So in a twist of fate, the PLD if it were to win, might actually get blamed for the suffering of the people, and thus the whole mess, to the benefit of the PRD. This would truly be a classical Greek tragedy for the country.

I would say Let Hippo win, and let him own the economic disaster he created, completely, from beginning to end. Let him preside over the demise of the Peso, an icon of national sovereignty. This would probably be best, in the long term, for the other political parties. I think one more term of the PRD would destroy the party once and for all. And we would be done with this public pest. I know the idea is not appetizing but think about it, when the country is broke there are not many good options.

The next president, whomever he is, will not be a very popular figure.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Good point...

You do have a point. When Leonel was off he kept saying that Leonel was the one stealing and all that. If Hipo is voted off he will do more damage before he actually has to leave.

The only thing is just how bad things would have to get for it to 'demise' like you say...

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Bueno...en teoria nada mas

Dude, hell no.....

In some philosophical way you are 100% right, but not many people would be willing to "wait and see." The wait and seers always lose, and these people have already lost enough.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I have thought about your "proposition" before. In the long run you might be right except that I am not at all sure the PRD would self destruct. As long as it can stay somewhat united, I don't see it self destructing. On the other hand, as you know, it is true that its "unity" is being strongly threatened as we speak.

Of course, in the meantime, if we keep the current administration, we will all be walking barefoot and eating yuca and we will be witnesses to others suffering true poverty, hunger, and maybe even starvation. In regards to the next president being unpopular, well, it will be a chance to show true greatness, but as you state, the public relations battle will be horrendous and it is likely that even a "perfect president" would be unpopular. Of course, there is always that little matter of having a PLD president with a hostile government that is PRD everything else.

Apr 26, 2002
That's kind of like saying: "I'll let this parasite suck my blood until it kills me. Then, when I'm dead, the parasite will die too and revenge will be mine."

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
But Hipolito doesn't care!!

He doesn't care about the PRD, the country, his people or his reputation. He would not be shamed by his legacy, only personally enriched. I think he is of the faith that the only true sin is not milking the DR economy cow dry.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
You know what I'll put it into New York perspectives. Bloomberg is/was not a popular figure in NY because of the tax increase and budget cuts he had to make. After a while people understood, that the hand he was dealt was not his fault and he was doing what he had to do, rather what he wanted to do.

I know us Dominicans have zero patience, but they should understand that things will probably get worse before better and that change will not occur overnight.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
NY1,

If the DR were any other country I would agree with you. But I think a viable democracy needs an educated electorate. Electing the PRD, after two previous governing fiascos, one that resulted in a president committing suicide due to corruption and the other going to jail, and then giving them full control of the Congress was not a very smart move in the part of the voters. Anyone who replaces the PRD will get stuck with violent strikes, university disturbances and probably lots of mayhem. The relative tranquility of the country, given its dire straights, is probably a realization from the left that they own this particular ficaso fully. Think of this: had Balaguer presided over this administration, the country would be up in flames. I kinda enjoy the delicious irony that the party of the poor ended up being a Robyn Hood in reverse. Every time "un probre" tries to buy pan de agua and he has to pay more for it due to inflation, he in essense is giving a subsidy to the lucky 80 who received 75% of the Baninter bailout. Hey, is the DR a great country or what!

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What I find sad and too true to be believed by most

is that the people who control most of the wealth in this country know that the country is already bankcrupt no matter who gets elected.
They're doing all they can to keep from going bankcrupt themselves!

El Pachi

Nov 7, 2003
To whom it may concern

The problem it's not letting President Mejia stay in power, taking blame for all the problem the Nation faces or defeating Him and restore order.

It's all about money, we all know it, obviously. Dr. Fernandez gets re-elected, He and His people get all the money and all the power... President Mejia stays in power, He and his people keep getting paid, at the expense of every Dominican that doesn't earn RD$10,000 a month...

It's an ill, poisonous spiral of death and misery: we try to put out the fire with gasoline...

One solution: don't vote for Mejia, don't vote for Fernandez, don't vote for Milagros, don't vote for the members of Congress, don't vote for anybody.

Vote for a plan that allows the Nation to come together and find decent, upstanding people without any political ties, people without any type of compromise to shady individuals or companies, people of goodwill.

They don't need to be rich nor Mr. or Ms. popular; all they need it's the capacity to lead and take care of their people, they need to be teamplayers, but most importantly they need to listen and use their power, ability and skills to make almost everybody happy and improve the Dominican Republic.

That's what we need. In May, vote for yourself, your family and your Country.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
> They don't need to be rich nor Mr. or Ms. popular;
> all they need it's the capacity to lead and take care
> of their people, they need to be teamplayers,
> but most importantly they need to listen and use
> their power, ability and skills to make almost
> everybody happy and improve the Dominican Republic.
>
> That's what we need. In May, vote for yourself, your
> family and your Country.

No offense, but you're latino, right? I love these emotional outbursts which have no point and make no sense, but sound wonderful..

How about proposing some GROUNDED ideas which work in the REAL world and situation we face today?

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
just lets pray a "dominican chavez" don't appear in the political scene...

or maybe the "dominican chavez" is.. hipo? :confused:

El Pachi

Nov 7, 2003
adrianb:

OK, here's is a GROUNDED idea: Grab a gun and change things. You might get killed, but you still GROUNDED.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
El pachi,

I think adrianb was referring to finding ideas that work. Your suggestion was worse than the first. He has a valid point. Admit it. He is right in that we need ideas that can work.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
From the Economist

From the Economist:

" TIEMPOS DIF?CILES PARA EL PR?XIMO PRESIDENTE

La inquietud, tanto econ?mica como social, es probable que se mantenga hasta bien avanzado este a?o. Es probable que se produzcan nuevas manifestaciones antes de las elecciones de mayo. Estas protestas enviar?an un mensaje al gobierno saliente, as? como una advertencia al que le siga. El pr?ximo presidente que asuma el cargo en agosto de 2004 batallar? de inmediato con las demandas en conflicto de los ciudadanos dominicanos -incluyendo los miembros del partido que esperan empleos en el nuevo gobierno- y los del FMI. Esto har? muy duros los primeros meses del nuevo gobierno.

Es poco probable una recuperaci?n econ?mica a corto plazo. La EIU espera una nueva contracci?n del PIB de 1% en 2004, despu?s de un descenso estimado de 1.2% el a?o pasado, en la medida que la inflaci?n desgasta el poder adquisitivo real, y las altas tasas de inter?s y la baja confianza limitan la inversi?n. Si el nuevo gobierno logra restablecer la confianza, estar?a en perspectiva un modesto crecimiento econ?mico en el 2005. Pero esto depender? de una mayor disciplina fiscal y el continuo apoyo del FMI, ninguno de los cuales

Puede darse por seguro. Si estos ingredientes no est?n presentes, y particularmente, si las protestas populares aumentan, Rep?blica Dominicana podr?a estar en camino de un per?odo m?s largo de resultados econ?micos negativos y el incremento de las tensiones sociales. "

El Pachi

Nov 7, 2003
Umju... here's yet another idea: instead of trying to classify my ideas and suggestions as right or wrong, why don't you all try to come up with your own ideas...

Let's not forget that back in '65 that's what Col. Caama?o and Co. did: they grabbed their guns and started shooting... They were wrong, right? they should've thought about better ideas to solve their particular problem (which is no different from ours, only thing is it has a "human face").

Or is it easier to sit down, complain that everything is bad and wait for another person to solve our problems?

My bad! I forgot we are Dominicans... That is what we do, right?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
El Pachi,

So far your only suggestion is "who not to vote for"! How about something more concrete?
Who are you going to vote for? Why are you going to vote for him/her?

"Or is it easier to sit down, complain that everything is bad and wait for another person to solve our problems?"

My bad! I forgot we are Dominicans... That is what we do, right?"

That is what people do all around the world. Even in the US less than 50% of the people vote in the Presidential Elections yet everybody seems to complain about politicians.

BTW Most of the Posters on DR1 are not Dominican...including me!

Mar 21, 2002
Fred's plan is the best. If Leonel wins he'll have to carry the dead goats. In the next term after his noble but failed attempts another PRD guy will win, probably even Hippo. An electorate who chooses a party like PRD has no inkling of what's going on. There are no any term solutions to this problem. Maybe centuries from now with a more educated populace things will change. The current turmoil will continue.