Any Bachateros in here???

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Sorry Catracho

But you are barking up the wrong tree. Most people here pretend that they
don't even recognize bachata as a formal respectable genre. Thus, it is unlikely that you as a cultured Hondureno with respect for the 4 chords will find much support here or even a true dialogue on the intricacies and texture of bachata. I for one love it but my area is dancing.

Personally I would compare the experience/historical progression of bachata to that of punta in your country...I like dancing that too since I don't discriminate.

Peace
D
el_catracho said:
are there any guitarist that play bachata in here???

el_catracho

May 2, 2004
lol i would a expect a dominican forum to have people that like bachata. guess i was wrong. at my school i am know as "el catracho" bachatero, since i love bachata more then any dominican @ school. plus the fact that im playing bachata.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
el_catracho said:
lol i would a expect a dominican forum to have people that like bachata. guess i was wrong. at my school i am know as "el catracho" bachatero, since i love bachata more then any dominican @ school. plus the fact that im playing bachata.

El Catracho: Most people who participate in this forum are NOT Dominicans. The few of us that are may like Bachata or not (at least pretend they don't), because as you know Bachata is the music of the lower classes, and a lot of the Dominicans who write in here are from the Dominican elite (a legend in their own minds)...

Suarezn (In Mexico)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Wrong!!

suarezn said:
El Catracho: Most people who participate in this forum are NOT Dominicans. The few of us that are may like Bachata or not (at least pretend they don't), because as you know Bachata is the music of the lower classes, and a lot of the Dominicans who write in here are from the Dominican elite (a legend in their own minds)...

Suarezn (In Mexico)

Some of this reply is correct most is not.

Yes, most people who post here are not Dominican, but many like Bachata or anything they can move to.

The other incorrect point is that Bachata is considered to be 'for the lower classes' it is actually quite mainstream now. Although is not for everyone, it certainly has changed and it has been acknowledged as a very lucrative and promising form of music. It definitely has moved up the charts ? not only on Billboard, but also in rank and class. It is now widely recognized and the artists are now internationally known.

There is also an urban legend going around this forum that there is such a class called the Elite. I think that?s just a folk tale or a legend so to speak.? No such class exists in real life ? only in the magical world of DR1.

In any case, I said all that to say that many here do like Bachata, myself included. If you do a search on music or even the word Bachata, you may get some threads about it.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Oh it exists alright, don't ever be mistaken about that. But in dr1 only suarezn keeps it alive. It's his way of getting attention. Noone else cares and furthermore, noone has stated in this forum that they are a member of the elite class (not that I'm aware of it, anyway). I remember a few posters being harrassed about it, but they themselves did not claimed to be elites.

I agree with everything else you said TD.

Talldrink said:
Some of this reply is correct most is not.
There is also an urban legend going around this forum that there is such a class called the Elite. I think that?s just a folk tale or a legend so to speak.? No such class exists in real life ? only in the magical world of DR1.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks Forbeca, however, where in the 'real' world can someone actually say: "I am from the Elite class of ____" If someone has to say it, then obviously they dont belong!

Isn?t being part of a 'class' or an Elite member a state of being, not a membership? I cannot place myself in a class, I just have to be. The mere fact that so many here claim to be Elite, means that they are just wannabes. You don?t have to say you are rich, you just have money and it can be obvious to some but to ?new? money, the point doesn?t get across sometimes - those are the wannabes. You also shouldn?t have to say you have class, it should be omnipresent and obvious.

So I?m not doubting that there are Elite people in DR, or anywhere in the world, but in an internet forum, do I really care who claims to be Elite or not? Why is it necessary to state it? This would be required only if it doesn?t show and then that would defeat the purpose.

Also, does that mean that the so-called DR1 Elites have more of a say than others? Or do they want to claim their status to show off? Then again, what can they possibly show off here?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
TD - this is self-explanatory

I was replying that the elite class is very much alive in the DR. It is not a legend as you stated below.

Talldrink said:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
And your last name is...

TD

I'm with you on some points. However, the term is not as you suggest. The question is posed as "And what is your last name? From where?".
And depedending how you respond says it all. In the US if you say Bush and TX....that does say it all.

On bachata I find there have been a lot of people here that have put down bachata on this site. I'm had my fair share of debates on this site. I stand by my statement. Bachata has become commercially viable because of the Dominicans and poor ethnic Latino communities living abroad in the US/Europe. Not because of Dominicans in DR. The ricos just want to cash in now in the up swing.

D

Talldrink said:
Thanks Forbeca, however, where in the 'real' world can someone actually say: "I am from the Elite class of ____" If someone has to say it, then obviously they dont belong!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Sorry I went off on a tangent, I had just read something else and it got me thinking about it...

Forbeca said:
I was replying that the elite class is very much alive in the DR. It is not a legend as you stated below.

Talldrink said:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
LOL I believe you. I am now surrounded by Salvadoreans and it's the same thing too. I find that flattering and facinating. The group "La Linea" has a mad crazy Hondureno that choreographs all their merengue moves...

el_catracho said:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Yes a last name should suffice, however, if that individual has to say that he or she is from a certain class, that means that they are not acting like it. Certain celebrities act like trash, they may be celebs and have money but high class they're not.

Anywho, I did not mean to bring the thread to another subject... I was not trying to highjack - Sorry.

deelt said:
TD

I'm with you on some points. However, the term is not as you suggest. The question is posed as "And what is your last name? From where?".
And depedending how you respond says it all. In the US if you say Bush and TX....that does say it all.

On bachata I find there have been a lot of people here that have put down bachata on this site. I'm had my fair share of debates on this site. I stand by my statement. Bachata has become commercially viable because of the Dominicans and poor ethnic Latino communities living abroad in the US/Europe. Not because of Dominicans in DR. The ricos just want to cash in now in the up swing.

D

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I fully agree. 'Nuf said.

Talldrink said:
Yes a last name should suffice, however, if that individual has to say that he or she is from a certain class, that means that they are not acting like it. Certain celebrities act like trash, they may be celebs and have money but high class they're not.

el_catracho

May 2, 2004
my last name is "Casta?eda", and i am in no way a low life. Dominicans should learn to apreciate their culture

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I've looked at the thread and from my recollection, no one said you were...
I do appreciate my culture very much. However, you should read the
"What is Bachata?" thread. In this thread many poster delve into may issues regarding the history of Bachata. It is a plagued and maligned history.
No type of praise will erase its past especially within certain social
circles in DR proper.

Bachata has been around for decades. Why are you just hearing about it now? I do hope you see my point. The fact is this music is still promoted through an underground culture still in the US. And while you may be financially secure this does not mean that the bulk of the individuals that currently support/sponsor the music are the same. A good documentary that eloquently discusses bachata is called "Santo Domingo Blues."
If you are in college or something try to bring it to your campus.

www.santodomingoblues.com

Peace
el_catracho said:
my last name is "Casta?eda", and i am in no way a low life. Dominicans should learn to apreciate their culture

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Castracho

I am Dominicano the Pura Sepa,

Some people consider me chopo because I love bachata, but that's ok many people love country music in States and they are not chopos.

Any way, (Go to the Cibao area when you visit the DR,)

People who hate Bachata doesn't know about music.

I don't change my Bachata for Pavarotti.

PS: "La Bachata se baila hasta en la Casa Blanca"
:knockedou

Homer

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
How about this question...

So is it safe to say that:

"?a los cibae?os no les gusta la bachata?"

These threads have so much contradiction and very little
real fact. (I am not referring to you).

Another point I noticed is that since most people on the forum are not Dominican how are they basing their opinion about bachata? Other than what they here from others which is mostly negative?

Just food for thought, you don't necessarily have to answer. Cualquier persona puede.

LDG.

simpson Homer said:
I am Dominicano the Pura Sepa,

Some people consider me chopo because I love bachata, but that's ok many people love country music in States and they are not chopos.

Any way, (Go to the Cibao area when you visit the DR,)

People who hate Bachata doesn't know about music.

I don't change my Bachata for Pavarotti.

PS: "La Bachata se baila hasta en la Casa Blanca"
:knockedou

Homer

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
TallDrink: Have you heard of sarcasm? Re-read my post. I expected you to know better...

Frobeca: Let's not start this elite thing again...you know what they say "Al que le pique que se rasque..."

El Catracho: My response was tongue in cheek...If you wish do a search for bachata and you will find plenty of debate in here about the topic in which I defend it...

That's all I have to say about it...Currently in Mexico in a slow connection and don't have the time to argue something that has been argued ad nauseam...

el_catracho

May 2, 2004
Lesley D said:
Another point I noticed is that since most people on the forum are not Dominican how are they basing their opinion about bachata? Other than what they here from others which is mostly negative?

Just food for thought, you don't necessarily have to answer. Cualquier persona puede.

LDG.
when i was growing up my brother used to listen to bachata all the time, so i didnt hear all the crap that people say about Bachata. i think the majority hate to see a genre they hate become a great genre.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Very interesting point.

Hola,

Very interesting point. And I agree with you. Without bringing in the social and class structure baggage into liking bachata which is what most people do in these discussions instead of just sticking to answering the question, it's a genre of music that is simply getting international recogintion. If salsa did not get promoted in NYC the way it did in the 50's and 60's it still would probably be callled "son cubano" which is modern day "salsa" in disguise.

Surely there are social issues related to bachata among Dominicans but what about the group that simply just likes the music? I am sure there Dominicans who fit in that category and to a certain extent I perceive that not liking bachata or even not knowing that exists when one lives in country is learned behavior (which can be unlearned) if ones chooses to.

el_catracho said:
when i was growing up my brother used to listen to bachata all the time, so i didnt hear all the crap that people say about Bachata. i think the majority hate to see a genre they hate become a great genre.