Any Bachateros in here???

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
catracho simply wanted to know if there are any bachata guitarists on the DR1 boards. simple. but that is too straightforward a question, so we couldn't help it and had to expand the thread as usual. and since that's already been done, here is my take on the issue:
"para los gustos los colores" or better yet "cada loco con su tema"....bachata is as legitimate as anything else out there in the music world. but liking it or not liking it, regardless of ethnic or class origin, should be a matter of personal taste or choice and not, per se, a defining attibute for any given individual. i understand that some can disagree with this. and that is fine with me.
i'm as dominican as anyone out there, but i don't listen or dance to bachata. it is not part of my individual life but by that i don't mean to put down its listeners or dancers. people do seem to enjoy it quite a bit, and not just dominicans. but just because some of you love this stuff doesn't make us who don't care one way or the other somehow undominican or snobbish. or musical illiterates as some have suggested. i know plenty of dominicans who don't eat plantains or might not like baseball and yet they are as dominican as everyone else born or with ancestry there. lets try not to get bogged down in who belongs where just because a certain kind of music is or not to your liking.
- Tordok

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Right on....

Tordork,

You are correct through and through but I wish more were like you. May be there are some people but they are not on the thread. Therefore the discussions become "bachata bashing sessions" which is totally wrong and uncalled for. What you said is probably the best post I have read on all bachata discussions in the last few months. Liking bachata is a personal preference like anything else in life ie. clothes, food, cars etc. but what I find is wrong is that people feel they have the right to classify it and degrade it. I have said this before on a previous thread and will gladly say it again:

In life, in general it's okay not to like something but when you criticize or ridicule it that's when you the individual loses credibility. ES LA LEY PRINCIPAL DE LA VIDA.

Tordok, hats off to you! You made your point and I respect it and you so much because you expressed your opinion without putting down bachata although it's not your preferred music. I wish plenty others would take a page from your book.

Tordok said:
catracho simply wanted to know if there are any bachata guitarists on the DR1 boards. simple. but that is too straightforward a question, so we couldn't help it and had to expand the thread as usual. and since that's already been done, here is my take on the issue:
"para los gustos los colores" or better yet "cada loco con su tema"....bachata is as legitimate as anything else out there in the music world. but liking it or not liking it, regardless of ethnic or class origin, should be a matter of personal taste or choice and not, per se, a defining attibute for any given individual. i understand that some can disagree with this. and that is fine with me.
i'm as dominican as anyone out there, but i don't listen or dance to bachata. it is not part of my individual life but by that i don't mean to put down its listeners or dancers. people do seem to enjoy it quite a bit, and not just dominicans. but just because some of you love this stuff doesn't make us who don't care one way or the other somehow undominican or snobbish. or musical illiterates as some have suggested. i know plenty of dominicans who don't eat plantains or might not like baseball and yet they are as dominican as everyone else born or with ancestry there. lets try not to get bogged down in who belongs where just because a certain kind of music is or not to your liking.
- Tordok

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
thank you Lesley D.,
disagreeing about music -or anything else- can be done in a civilized manner.
i think it is important for people to debate and air their opinions as vigorously as they can, whatever those may be. but we should do it in a respectful way. personal insults - or worse, generalizing insults- are useless to make a point. even when someone's reasoning may be valid, if its articulated on purpose to offend others, then to me that point quickly loses value. humor, even sarcasm is ok, but only when it is done in good faith and with no ill intent. now i'll go back to beethoven. :paranoid:
cheers,
-Tordok

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Now that we are back on "Track",lets stay there!

I have seen these pointless posts about all forms of music here on DR1.I have never seen the logic of degrading someone because of the music they enjoy,or the food,or the dress,or the hairstyle,or the type of car racing they enjoy,etc.,etc.
I can find lots of other reason to degrade people,#1,"Narrow Mindedness"!
I find I like most things,if I get enough exposure to them!Except the TV show, "Friends"!
CCCCCCCCCCC

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Catracho

If you just wait a little time, I am taking my first bachata guitar lessons with Yoscar Sarante and he claims I should be ready for big time play in December. I already have what it takes to be a "front" man. I got all the moves and I am now starting to learn how to dress like one. Get back to me in Christmas.

TW

el_catracho

May 2, 2004
Golo100 said:
If you just wait a little time, I am taking my first bachata guitar lessons with Yoscar Sarante and he claims I should be ready for big time play in December. I already have what it takes to be a "front" man. I got all the moves and I am now starting to learn how to dress like one. Get back to me in Christmas.

TW
arent they saying that yoskar sarante is dead???

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
He's not dead but is very ill

Yoskar Sarante according to reports on sabordominicano.com as of 04/29/2004 is not dead but is very ill. "Tiene ganglios en la garganta". Very sad since he is of the "matatanes de la bachata".

el_catracho said:
arent they saying that yoskar sarante is dead???

elamericano

May 18, 2004
El Americano de la Bachata..... David

el_catracho said:
are there any guitarist that play bachata in here???

Hi Catracho,

Yes, there are other bachateros in cyberspace. I am one of them. I play requinto and recently went to the DR to record a CD. You can check out some of the songs on http://www.lafragancia.com

Check it out and let me know what you think. I'm going to be starting a new website dedicated to bachata guitar. Will keep you posted.

Best regards,

David, "El Americano"

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
el_catracho- I love bachata and I'm not a Dominican! They call me a Bachata freak I love the music. I live in Toronto and most people in the clubs love the Salsa and some sit when Merengue or Bachata plays but I'm dancing all night! I was in the DR a few weeks ago and came back with 9 CD's and 7 of them were Bachata CD's lol! Some people just don't understand why I love Bachata and I can't understand why they don't like it?

elamericano- I oftern go on that website to hear some Bachata it's a great site!