Marriage and Citizenship in Canada-Dominican Republic.

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Dear Friends:

My question is the following: In regards to the legal procedure, what happens if I marry my Canadian Boyfriend... I am dominican... Do I have to choose between nationaleties, can I give him mine? Do I automatically obtain his?

Can anyone help me clear some doubts about all this?

Thanks,

Loti

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Lottusflower said:
Dear Friends:

My question is the following: In regards to the legal procedure, what happens if I marry my Canadian Boyfriend... I am dominican... Do I have to choose between nationaleties, can I give him mine? Do I automatically obtain his?

Can anyone help me clear some doubts about all this?

Thanks,

Loti

You do not have to choose between nationalities. You are Dominican and only Dominican unless you go through the formalities of requesting Canadian citizenship. For the requirements to become a Canadian citizen, check the Canadian government website. Upon marriage, you do not automatically obtain Canadian citizenship. And as far as my knowledge, he does not obtain your Dominican citizenship. The citizenship law in the DR discriminates against men. It makes it easy for foreign women who marry Dominican men to obtain the Dominican nationality, this does not apply for men. Regardless, marriage does not automatically make foreign women Dominican nationals. They have to go through the procedures.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Marriage has nothing to do with nationality. If you marry, regardless of which country, to become a Canadian you have to apply to become a landed immigrant(sponsered by your husband) This allows you all the rights of Canadian except a passport or the right to work for the federal goverment. After 1095 days, you may apply for citizenship. Thats the Canadian end of it, in either country you get to keep your original citizenship.

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Still somewhat confused

Well, thank you to all of you that replied. I beleive Bob can remember me. I came back from visitimng my beau in Northen Ontario, about ten days ago. Nevertheless to say many things were disscussed including marriage....

The part where I am not clear is regarding the following. Ok, we get married here in the D.R. Then, what happens? Am I bound to declare at the church wether I am asuming my husband's nationalety? Does this happen at the civil ceremony? Does it happen at any time at all?

Now, after this... can I go to canada after the wedding? What type of document do I need? I have heard stories about people having to wait from 6 to 8 months here before they receive their legal papers.. Is this the real situation?

I have also heard that you can travel to canada and submit your papers while there, but then you need to wait between 1 to 2 years to get your legal status in order, and can not work while there or travel to D.R.? To visit family here...

I feel somehow confused and I would like to be advised in someway since my beau is comming to visit me in October and I sense that he will pop the question (for all the clear hints) and before I give an answer I would like to know what am I facing starting our life toguether....

IN loVe,

LOtI

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lottusflower said:
The part where I am not clear is regarding the following. Ok, we get married here in the D.R. Then, what happens? Am I bound to declare at the church wether I am asuming my husband's nationalety? Does this happen at the civil ceremony? Does it happen at any time at all?

Now, after this... can I go to canada after the wedding? What type of document do I need? I have heard stories about people having to wait from 6 to 8 months here before they receive their legal papers.. Is this the real situation?

I have also heard that you can travel to canada and submit your papers while there, but then you need to wait between 1 to 2 years to get your legal status in order, and can not work while there or travel to D.R.? To visit family here...

I feel somehow confused and I would like to be advised in someway since my beau is comming to visit me in October and I sense that he will pop the question (for all the clear hints) and before I give an answer I would like to know what am I facing starting our life toguether....

IN loVe,

LOtI

You are not getting your husband's nationality by marrying him. You get nationality by immigrating legally, waiting 3 years, of which at least 2 if I recall corectly must be inside Canada (even counting visits to the DR) then you apply for citizenship, that takes a year, you take a test and get sworn in.

To go to Canada he has to sponsor you and that will take 6-8 months if you marry in the DR. You would be better off having him sponsor you as a fiancee and get married in Canada (you have to marry within 90 days of arrival as a fiancee) - it can take longer if you are his wife than if you are not yet his wife.

You CAN arrive as a visitor on a vistor visa THEN apply from within as actually his spouse ( e.g. you have no intention of waiting outside Canada to be allowed in permanently) - that can go against you as they don't like to ahve people pretend to be a visitor then want to stay while they apply to be a permanent resident ( as his wife).

Get an proper immigration lawyer, in Canada NOT the DR, DO NOT use a "immigration consultant" in Canada who are poorly licenced and qualifications, and do this properly the first time.

dr_amor

Sep 9, 2004
In response to your confussion

I recently married my husband who is from the Dominican. We were married in the Dominican. In order to come to Canada you need to visit www.cic.gc.ca in order to receive the forms for sponsorship and permanent residence into Canada. Your spouse (Canadian) needs to fill out the sponsorship form and you fill out the permanent residence application forms. You will need to obtain a medical and a police clearence. All the information you need to fill out the forms are in the application package on the web. We did not use a lawyer but you are entitled to do so. When you go to this website it has all the information that you will need and will answer the questions to your confussion. It is very easy but stressful to complete, you just need to follow all of the requirements and you will do fine without a lawyer if you choose. If you have any questions that you want answered you can call the Canadian Embassy in Haiti (immigration section). There are application fees that will need to be paid and it is faster if you pay the fees in full $1525.00 canadian I believe. If you have further questions regarding this I would be happy to help you because it is a frustrating process.

dr_amor

Lottusflower said:
Well, thank you to all of you that replied. I beleive Bob can remember me. I came back from visitimng my beau in Northen Ontario, about ten days ago. Nevertheless to say many things were disscussed including marriage....

The part where I am not clear is regarding the following. Ok, we get married here in the D.R. Then, what happens? Am I bound to declare at the church wether I am asuming my husband's nationalety? Does this happen at the civil ceremony? Does it happen at any <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> at all?

Now, after this... can I go to canada after the wedding? What type of document do I need? I have heard stories about <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=56">people</a> having to wait from 6 to 8 months here before they receive their <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=legal&v=56">legal</a> papers.. Is this the real situation?

I have also heard that you can <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=travel&v=56">travel</a> to canada and submit your papers while there, but then you need to wait between 1 to 2 years to get your <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=legal&v=56">legal</a> status in order, and can not work while there or <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=travel&v=56">travel</a> to D.R.? To visit <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=family&v=56">family</a> here...

IN loVe,

LOtI

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You have received some good advice. Contact a good immigration lawyer in Canada, not a consultant. And, be prepared to wait. Be prepared to be turned down! Immigration Canada is turning down almost all requests. It is good you have been to Canada on a visitors visa, most of those are turned down these days too.

The process can take over 3 years right now!!! Have the people in Canada request help from the member of parliament too. They can make the process somewhat simpler, explain it clearly and easily and give you some insider tips on what to do and when. Keep track of everything you do, both here and in Canada. Keep copies of everything! You will need them.

Part of the process happens in Canada and part of it happens here. Both places are very very slow.

Good luck to you both. Keep us posted here on your experiences, t hey will help others.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
planner said:

The process can take over 3 years right now!!! Have the people in Canada request help from the member of parliament too. They can make the process somewhat simpler, explain it clearly and easily and give you some insider tips on what to do and when. Keep track of everything you do, both here and in Canada. Keep copies of everything! You will need them.

Part of the process happens in Canada and part of it happens here. Both places are very very slow.

Good luck to you both. Keep us posted here on your experiences, t hey will help others.

You do not need an immigration lawyer and if you have all your documentation and are in good health the process will not take 3 years for a wife. It took Yris and I eight months to get her landed papers.

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Do not PANIC, people....It might be simpler than we think...

I appreciate all of your kind answers to my request, but let me just say this...

I either of us needs to contact a parliament member to request help to make a simple imigration process, then CANADA is not the country I think it is. That to me sound completly burocratic and inefficient....

To me the whole issue about the visitors visa was simpler than what I had read in the DR1 forums. What most people said in the forums got me scared, but then, I am no sankie chica, so I was there requesting simply and everything went great.

Now, with all this, I suspect it is also more simple, the difference is that wether we wnat to recognize it or not to me most embassies here do discriminate upon social status of the requesting party,

somebody please tell me that I am lying....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Curiosity

Hey Bob, when did you go thru the process? Was it in the last 18 months? IF so it is the first I've heard of someone doing it quickly and easily!

Since the rules changed in June 2 years ago, things have gotten much more difficult.

Don't expect Canada to not be beuracratic! That is everywhere that there is government!!! Yes Lotusflower there is discrimination based on social status, you betcha. Again I think that happens everywhere.

ANyone recently gone thru the sponsorship program?

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
HI! Lottusflower,

I find you very ingenue. In fact, I?m even surprised that a Dominican woman is asking these type of questions. As you know, Dr is a country of emigrants and if there is one thing we can do well is finding the way out of DR. Look! There is only two places to go: the consulate and your husband. In another words, no matter what anyone here tells you, you will most likely wind up by the Canadian immigration authority. From experience, I can tell you go there first, wait for an answer, then formulate your question. If you not satisfy, ask and you will find a lot of Canadian citizens residing in DR to do guide you. I am just trying to educate you, if I may. And by the way, while you overthere, whenever you get there or while you over here, if you know a Canadian chick that might be interested in hooking up with an outgoing guy who ennjoy party hardy and stay in the housy, give her my address. Finally, your message bring me to one last question, and with all you due respect, If I may, where is your husband ? Sound like he left you to solve all your problem . Good Day! Lott.

Bienvenido

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
I'm suprise that you even got visit Canada. Not in an offensive, most of the time, if you are single, Dominican coming to visit Canada, chances are, your visa will be turned down. Again, I will say ALMOST, NOT ALL. I have a friend for tried to get his girlfriend to come to Canada, his girlfriend has been turned 3 times already and this by the book. Every information you can think of was sent (personal info) and even the girlfriend and still no luck.

Now as far as getting married or being married, in my opinion, based on my friends issue, it might be easier for you to come to Canada, but I am guessing that it would take some time.

New2This

rdost

Feb 13, 2004
Emmigrating to Canada

New2this is exactly right. Immigration Canada turns down most requests. Their unofficial policy seems to be that you are scamming the system unless you prove you are not. As marriage is a great way to sneak into the country, they are especially suspicious of new marriages from "have not" countries.

My advice is this: play by the rules. Do not come into Canada on a visitor visa and then submit an application for landed immigrant status while in Canada. They can and have deported many people trying this and it will be a "black mark" on your record.

Secondly, have your Canadian husband submit every single piece of evidence he can that this is a legitimate relationship. For example, letters from family and friends stating the relationship is real, photos of the two of you together in different places, signed affidavit from a lawyer that he SWEARS there is a relationship. This is necessary "overkill".

It comes down to a judgement call by the Immigration official...anything to sway him is going to be worth it.

Good Luck!

ladybug

Aug 26, 2002
went trhough it

My husband arrived in Nov. 2003. It took us less than 8 months
It was stressful and took many phone calls to Haiti.

planner said:
Hey Bob, when did you go thru the process? Was it in the last 18 months? IF so it is the first I've heard of someone doing it quickly and easily!

Since the rules changed in June 2 years ago, things have gotten much more difficult.

Don't expect Canada to not be beuracratic! That is everywhere that there is government!!! Yes Lotusflower there is discrimination based on social status, you betcha. Again I think that happens everywhere.

ANyone recently gone thru the sponsorship program?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What seems to be forgotten is that the OP has already been granted a visitors visa!

As such it would indicate that she is NOT from the lower class/resort worker background and as such will have a much easier time of applying for permanent status once married. In fact I'd hazard a guess that she may even qualify easily WITHOUT the marriage certificate. Remember immigration is looking for education, fiscal independence, skills etc. which many applicants do not have.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good point

You are right, that has a huge bearing on the case! In general the average person from here is going to be turned down, it will be a lengthy and not fun process!

Good luck to anyone going thru it.