Sosua Bay Hotel Rooms?

zelda

Aug 15, 2004
Hi there,

I've spent the last couple of days browsing this very informative website and forum. I'm always in a lot of angst over booking "the perfect" vacation. This time was no different, and reading this site has put a lot of worries at ease.

We've just booked 2 weeks at Sosua Bay Hotel in February. Does anyone who knows the hotel have any recommendations on building/room choice? We have a basic garden view room, and I've requested a non-ground floor balcony, but I know that many times the building can be very different.

And if you have a recommendation, what is the best way of putting forth my request?

Thanks!
zelda

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'm sure whatever room you get will be fine.

We had an ocean view when we were there however the garden view rooms are laid out pretty much the same and over-look lovely garden areas.
We were impressed by the care taken with the grounds and how lovely the garden areas were (which can be difficult given the proximity to the salt laden sea air).
If you enjoy the resort as much as we did during our stay you'll have a wonderful time!

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
What do they charge/ night @ Sosua Bay Hotel.
I understand most buy an Air/Land package.
It looks just ok.
They call it a FOUR STAR hotel!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Have YOU stayed there lechero?????

We found the hotel charming, the service great, the food excellent and the staff attentive!
Having travelled many places in the world trust me when I say this hotel is MORE than ok! Of many I've seen in the DR it is definitely 4 star!
But then again I notice how negative many of your posts on different threads are........may I suggest that when someone asks for advise you keep your "comments" to yourself unless you truly HAVE advice to give? :rambo:

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
A little touchy!

If that is a 4 STAR resort, I hate to see what 3 stars is.
Not only do the rooms all smell like mildew, but today's fried fish is tommorow's sancocho. I am sorry if that is a personal attack on your taste, I am merely reporting what I observed.

Last edited:

zelda

Aug 15, 2004
Thanks MommC. The more I read about Sosua Bay Hotel, the more I'm confident that I made a very good choice. I told one of my coworkers today that I had booked my trip, and coincidentally, she stayed at the same place last year. She had only good things to say about it.

Of course, I'm a firm believer in perspective and expectations as well. I suspect that some people expect a lot for a little, or have their heart set on how it "should" be, and therefore are ultimately disappointed. My travel agent had specifically told me that 4 stars in developing countries of the Caribbean are more like 3 stars in our privileged industrial countries.

While I do have certain expectations, I also won't let the little things (like occasional power outages and the natural effects of tropical humidity on things) ruin my vacation.

How on earth am I going to keep up this level of excitement for 6 more months?!

zelda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lechero said:
If that is a 4 STAR resort, I hate to see what 3 stars is.
Not only do the rooms all smell like mildew, but today's fried fish is tommorow's sancocho. I am sorry if that is a personal attack on your taste, I am merely reporting what I observed.
Sometimes, that "mildew" smell means they have been fumigating.......against mosquitos, not people!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
With your attitude you'll have a great stay Zelda!

Having stayed at 3,4 & 5 star hotels in several North American cities, many European cities, a couple African cities, and in the DR you are correct with the "perspective" thought and the realization that all things are NOT equal in all countries. Also the "smells" that one encounters differ greatly depending on climate, humidity, vegetation as well as building materials and sanitation. Heck even my lower floor "smells" mildew/musty during the humid summer months here in Canada! Imagine right next to the sea in the humid tropics!
Just goes to show that some people who travel then react "negatively should probably have stayed at home where they could be comfortable with "familiar" sights, smells, sounds and tastes!

Our first trip to the DR 14 yrs ago we stayed at a 3 star resort (in reality closer to a Canadian 2 star) and we loved it so much we not only came back for another visit to the same resort but we bought our condo during our second trip......as the saying goes -"the rest is history"!