Two chicks lost in D.R.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I am going to Santo Domingo in Feb. People are already telling me I shouldnt go that as soon as I get to the airport there are alot of theives trying to steal you baggage, dont take any cabs, etc. what are some thing I should be aware of and what type of people should I avoid?? Should I bring alot of cash on hand or just bring a bank card??

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Well I just got back and when I get to the airport, I didn't have any theives trying to steal my luggage! :classic: Although I didn't stay in Santo Domingo, I stayed in Sosua, but to be honest I shoudn't imagine that you would have theives trying to steal your luggage in Santo Domingo either. Where have you heared that? I think that rumour may be talking about the porters but they just help you with your luggage for a dolloar or two. I don't personally find that you have to avoid people in the DR. Just be as safetyconcious as you would be at home or anywhere else in the world. Well thats based on my trips to the DR. Hope I helped.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Im of Dominican decent

I would never avoid dominicans as I am one myself :cool: :cool: , I just wanted to get some rumors cleared. How far is Sosua from Santo Domingo? which airport did you fly to?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Jozee74 said:
I am going to Santo Domingo in Feb. People are already telling me I shouldnt go that as soon as I get to the airport there are alot of theives trying to steal you baggage, dont take any cabs, etc. what are some thing I should be aware of and what type of people should I avoid?? Should I bring alot of cash on hand or just bring a bank card??
One should always be cautious when traveling to not set oneself up to become a crime victim. That being said, the Dominicans are some of the nicest people on Earth and you need not be worried.
Travelers checques are a good option for security reasons.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you're worried, just make sure to always keep an eye on your luggage when the porters take it outside for you. Get and approved taxi from the airport, if you haven't already arranged for someone to pick you up. Actually I think there's a guy who posts here (Rafael I believe...) who has a taxi business to pick people up from the airport and take them anywhere they want to go in the capital. I wouldn't be too worried...Just use common sense...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Every airport in the world has its problems

In Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata, it is the push to get your luggage for those few dollars that Britishgirl mentioned. Just use your head.

To get to Sosua from Santo Domingo, by bus, will take just about the time stated by Rocky. 3 1/2-4 hours.

This is probably one of the safest destinations in the world unless you walk around with a sign that says : "STUPID TOURIST HERE!"

And you will have fun.

HB

That suggestion by Suarezn is a good one. Search archives for TAXI SERVICE and you will find him..

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Taxi

That is def. what I need, We have no one that will pick us up, I will look at that website. Has anyone heard of the city Gazcue?? are there any good hotels there and how far is it from the Airport??

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Gazcue

Gazcue is one of the nicest neighborhoods within Santo Domingo.
It is a 5 minute walk to The Colonial Zone or Malecon, seaside.
As far as hotels are concerned, the 3 nicest hotels are within a 5 minute walk from anywhere in Gazcue. What is your budget? A room at Jaragua will run you $125 including tax. There are many smaller, clean boutique tourist class hotels for less than 1/2 that price. If you need a pool then you will need to spend a few more Pesos. If you speak fluent spanish, make your reservation in Spanish and tell them you are a local, your rate will be almost 1/2 the "Gringo" rate!

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Sleep

Lechero said:
Gazcue is one of the nicest neighborhoods within Santo Domingo.
It is a 5 minute walk to The Colonial Zone or Malecon, seaside.
As far as hotels are concerned, the 3 nicest hotels are within a 5 minute walk from anywhere in Gazcue. What is your budget? A room at Jaragua will run you $125 including tax. There are many smaller, clean boutique tourist class hotels for less than 1/2 that price. If you need a pool then you will need to spend a few more Pesos.

I was looking more into $85.00 a night more or less. its just to sleep as long as there is Air conditioning and Light I dont care where it is.............as long as it is in Gazcue. I will be staying for 2 weeks.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
New Boobs?
I hope you paid for the real looking ones.
Seriously, good luck on your surgery, have a speedy recovery.

That is the best I can do with hotels.
All of the doctors offices and clinics as well as a really nice pharamacy are 1 block from this hotel. Call the hotel I gave you and ask them how far they are from that address. It is at most a 5 minute taxi ride. Gazcue is not even the size of Greenwich Village.

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
new boobs

No new boobs LOL I have enough of that.

But thank you for the info. Lo voy a llamar para ver si puedo reservar. ;)

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Residence Venezia

Good info. It seems like a nice and affordable hotel. You can pay cash in US$, in fact, it's cheaper this way than with credit cards, according to their price tariffs info. I had never read anything about this hotelito before.

How does this it compare to the Duque de Wellington?

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
What?????

erickxson said:
yo You Are Totally Full Of (you Already Know)

I Dont Have Time For You, You Dont Know Who I Am Or Where I Come From. Soy Mas Dominicana Que Cualquiera, I Just Havent Been There In Over 12 Years And I Hear Alot Of S**t Happening Over There. I Just Want Clarification Not Criticsm.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Jozee74 said:
I Dont Have Time For You, You Dont Know Who I Am Or Where I Come From. Soy Mas Dominicana Que Cualquiera, I Just Havent Been There In Over 12 Years And I Hear Alot Of S**t Happening Over There. I Just Want Clarification Not Criticsm.

BLAH, blah, Blah, Blah (i hate Dumb Yorks)

you might be more Dominican than me! however one thing is for sure (you) don't live here...... Rumors Rumores you should use common sense.