Yet Another Dominican With An Attitude- Kicked Out Of Baseball!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
New York Post, Tuesday, August 28th, 2004:

"Angels left fielder Jose Guillen was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday because of his outburst after being lifted for a pinch runner a day earlier. He was being suspended without pay". " The Angels manager sent a pinch runner to run for Guillen and when Guillen walked off the field, he tossed his helmet toward the side of the dugout where the manager was standing and then walked to the other side of the dugout and slammed his glove against the wall".

I have to ask myself when in hell are they going to learn??

Last edited:

raylusion

Jun 1, 2004
Who Cares?

Who cares about Guillen he sucks anyway!but ur right he does have an attitude prob but he does nothing for the angels

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
raylusion said:
Who cares about Guillen he sucks anyway!but ur right he does have an attitude prob but he does nothing for the angels

HUH? Are we talking about the same Jose Guillen? He's a hothead, but regarded as one of the best in baseball today (through struggles of late). Offensively for the Angel's, Guerrero is number 1, and Guillen is number 2; arguably ahead of Anderson due to some good numbers on the board. He has 27 HR, 104 RBI's, and 166 hits this year, batting close to 300. Add to these numbers the fact that he's great on the glove, he's definitely an asset. However, this is the third time this year that he's acted out in this fashion, this game being by far the worst. This is Guillen's 6th MLB team, and he has a colourful history of thinking he's bigger than the team.

I think the Manager made a very good call in tossing him out, maybe he deserved to miss one or two games, but for the rest of the season??? I'm afraid this will botch their chances of going to the playoffs. They're now tied in first place with Oakland. Does anyone know if the suspension will carry into playoffs, should Anaheim make it?

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm Sure He Will Be available For The "Post-Season" If Needed!

The "Season" is all but over now.I don't think that the Dominican players are any more,or less "volatile" than any other players.It is just easy to "group" them,as they have the Dominican Republic as a common denominator,and there are so many of them.We also look at them as a group,and from our perspective as Dominicans,and Dominican Republic lovers! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Truth is Dominican players have developed a reputation as having oodles of talent but being hotshots and not team players. Look at what Raul Mondesi did before being kicked off the Yankees last year. Now look at Guillen. Similar situations. Look at all the hot dogging and admiring of home runs and blowing kisses to the sky and all the other things they do to seek individual attention. Ok,now is the big one....Look at how many World Series these guys have won..How many have Pedro,Manny,Ortiz,Tejada,Guliien,Pujlos,etc...won COMBINED? You got it...a big fat 0. That is because they will compile big numbers and make the highlight films but do not do the little things it take for a team to win. And someone has to explain to Dominican players that baseball is a team game and winning as a team is the goal, not making the personal highlight reel or throwing a tantrum if you get pinch hit for or pinch run for.
Larry

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Ok,now is the big one....Look at how many World Series these guys have won..How many have Pedro,Manny,Ortiz,Tejada,Guliien,Pujlos,etc...won COMBINED? You got it...a big fat 0. That is because they will compile big numbers and make the highlight films but do not do the little things it take for a team to win. And someone has to explain to Dominican players that baseball is a team game and winning as a team is the goal, not making the personal highlight reel or throwing a tantrum if you get pinch hit for or pinch run for.
Larry[/QUOTE]
=============================================================
Hey Larry, you know individuals don't win World Series Championships - teams do!
Add to that the fact that the best known team in the world with the biggest payroll (the Yankees) have failed to win a World Series since 2000! By the way, that 2000 Yankee team did have a Dominican player - Soriano (he also won it in '99). There was also Encarnacion who won it with the 2003 Marlins; Ramon Ortiz who won it with the 2002 Angels; Miguel Batista who won it with 2001 Diamondbacks.

Besides that, I don't think it's fair on your part to lump Tejada and Pujols in the hothead group. So what if they admire their homeruns and mug for the camera! They're Dominican men who are expresive. Look at the year Mark McGuire and Sosa were racing for the homerun title. How many endorsements did McGuire get with that zero personality? One or two compared to the many major brand endorsements Sosa received. And why? Because of his charisma - and nobody admires a homerun more than Sosa!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Larry said:
Truth is Dominican players have developed a reputation as having oodles of talent but being hotshots and not team players. Look at what Raul Mondesi did before being kicked off the Yankees last year. Now look at Guillen. Similar situations. Look at all the hot dogging and admiring of home runs and blowing kisses to the sky and all the other things they do to seek individual attention. Ok,now is the big one....Look at how many World Series these guys have won..How many have Pedro,Manny,Ortiz,Tejada,Guliien,Pujlos,etc...won COMBINED? You got it...a big fat 0. That is because they will compile big numbers and make the highlight films but do not do the little things it take for a team to win. And someone has to explain to Dominican players that baseball is a team game and winning as a team is the goal, not making the personal highlight reel or throwing a tantrum if you get pinch hit for or pinch run for.
Larry

Put your anti-Dominican thoughts aside, and think of it this way...most of the teams these players play for have no support staff. Until Schilling came on board, Pedro was the ONLY decent starting pitcher Boston had. They still need at least one more good pitcher. And Boston is about the most team-spirited team there is, you cannot deny them this. Batters can do all they want, but if they don't have pitchers doing their job, they're not going to win the game. You cannot blame these high-paid players for having the lack of the rest of the team. Most are so highly-paid because they are so good, but they do take up a huge portion of the payroll, leaving little to pay other good players to help win the pennants and series. The Yankees would be the exception to this rule...due to sell-out crowds, they can afford to have the best of the best in every position, and that's why they win. And when I think of the Yankees, I rarely think "team spirit". I think "huge payroll", allowing them to win.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
principe said:
What did Mondesi do when he was with the Yanks?

He was pinch hit for in the 8th inning and walked out of the dugout, left the stadium and took off by himself getting his own flight to California (where the next series was to be played) instead of getting on the team charter. I guess he thought he was making some kind of statement that he didn't like getting pinch hit for? Anyway, he was cut from the team the next day.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
trina said:
Put your anti-Dominican thoughts aside

Wrong! Don't accuse me of being a racist because I call it how I see it. Accusing me of being "anti Dominican" is cheap and a crutch. Don't fall into the trap of crying racism everytime someone says something you may not like. I am not anti-Dominican. If you wish to dispute that, dig through my threads and find something to support your accusations.

Soriano won because he was on great yankee teams with great team players. He actually stunk it up in the playoffs every year. He has tons of talent but dosen't know how to take a walk, advance a baserunner, lay down a bunt...etc. No Dominican players do. I may have been unfair in naming Pujols as a hot dog. That guy can flat hit. However, I find the blowing kisses to the sky thing hot doggish and disrespectful. Tejada is a hot dog period. Great, but a hot dog. Ditto for Sosa. Ditto for Pedro. I think Manny is a hitting savant and is to dumb to know the difference between hog dogging and just plain existing so maybe I should not include him. The jury is still out on Ortiz. I do not question his desire to win.

I love baseball. I am a baseball purist. I appreciate the finer aspects of the game and feel that selfish players and hot dogs detract from the team and hurt the teams chances of winning. Period.

Larry

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Larry said:
Wrong! Don't accuse me of being a racist because I call it how I see it. Accusing me of being "anti Dominican" is cheap and a crutch. Don't fall into the trap of crying racism everytime someone says something you may not like. I am not anti-Dominican. If you wish to dispute that, dig through my threads and find something to support your accusations.

Soriano won because he was on great yankee teams with great team players. He actually stunk it up in the playoffs every year. He has tons of talent but dosen't know how to take a walk, advance a baserunner, lay down a bunt...etc. No Dominican players do. I may have been unfair in naming Pujols as a hot dog. That guy can flat hit. However, I find the blowing kisses to the sky thing hot doggish and disrespectful. Tejada is a hot dog period. Great, but a hot dog. Ditto for Sosa. Ditto for Pedro. I think Manny is a hitting savant and is to dumb to know the difference between hog dogging and just plain existing so maybe I should not include him. The jury is still out on Ortiz. I do not question his desire to win.

I love baseball. I am a baseball purist. I appreciate the finer aspects of the game and feel that selfish players and hot dogs detract from the team and hurt the teams chances of winning. Period.

Larry

Easy, Larry. Take a pill...no one is calling you a racist...saying that you should put anti-Dominican thoughts aside in no way states that you are racist or that all your thoughts are anti-Dominican. Had I been doing that, I would've done it in the Sankie forum...but I realize you're not prejudiced. While I don't agree with how you see Dominican players, you state some valid points. However, keep in mind that you cannot blame one Dominican hot dog for his team's failures to make the World Series.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Larry said:
Truth is Dominican players have developed a reputation as having oodles of talent but being hotshots and not team players. Look at all the hot dogging and admiring of home runs and blowing kisses to the sky and all the other things they do to seek individual attention. Larry

I didn't know Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr., the two biggest HOT DOGS in the majors, were Dominican!

And how many championships have they won all by themselves?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Spirit7 said:
I didn't know Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr., the two biggest HOT DOGS in the majors, were Dominican!

Let's not forget John Rocker, one of the hottest hotheads in the MLB...Dominican???

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Spirit7 said:

I agree 100% and Bonds and Griffey Jr. are perfect examples of how hot dogs detract from the "team". Thank you for supporting my claim.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I never said all hot dogs are Dominican. I said all Dominicans are hot dogs.

LOL, I shouldn't say all but it sure seems like the majority.

Larry

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I guess if the Sox win the series this year, your theory will go flying out the window.

I guess players like Ernie Banks or Don Mattingly didn't get a ring because they weren't team players either.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Sox will not win the series this year and my theory will remain intact. Mattingly was a great player on a bad team. Banks played for the Cubs didn't he? Well there you go.

NY1, you are twisting my words. I never said the ONLY reason why players do not win is because they are hot dogs did I?

It's ok, I understand. You are a disgruntled Mets fan.

Larry

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Larry said:
How many have Pedro,Manny,Ortiz,Tejada,Guliien,Pujlos,etc...won COMBINED? You got it...a big fat 0. That is because they will compile big numbers and make the highlight films but do not do the little things it take for a team to win. And someone has to explain to Dominican players that baseball is a team game and winning as a team is the goal, not making the personal highlight reel or throwing a tantrum if you get pinch hit for or pinch run for.
Larry

In your own words. Where does it say, if you're not surrounded with a good team you can't win, as was the excuse you laid out for Donnie Baseball and Mr. Baseball.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
NY1 said:
In your own words. Where does it say, if you're not surrounded with a good team you can't win, as was the excuse you laid out for Donnie Baseball and Mr. Baseball.

Where does it "say it"? Um, I dunno. Where is it supposed to "say it"?

Baseball is a team game. The team with the most balanced attack is the most dangerous. If you can walk Bonds every time he gets up and get the next guy out, you have neutralized the threat of the superstar and exposed weakness in the teams lineup. If Pedro Martinez can only last 6 good innings and you don't have good middle relief and a good closer, you will lose the game in the end because the other team will get to your bullpen.

This is a team game and I feel hot dogs and attention seekers hurt the teams chances to win. I dont care if Sosa hits 60 home runs. How often does he mnove the runner over from 2nd to 3rd with no outs. How often does he take a strike so his teamate can steal a base. These are little things that don't show up in the box score. People always point to Jeters numbers. He only hits about 300, he dosent have huge power numbers so he is not that good right? WRONG. Almost every game, he sacrifices an at bat to bunt a runner over. He chops the ball to the right side to move a runner over. Guess how many world series rings he has in 8 years? He has 4. Without him I don't think the Yankees would have won any of those world series. He is atypical of the Dominican superstar who never wins.

Larry

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Larry said:
He is atypical of the Dominican superstar who never wins.
Larry

you're going back and forth now with your reasoning. The only point being the fallacy that somehow since Dominicans don't do the little things, they never win.

For every team guy, aka Don Mattingly, that has never won anything, you have a selfish prick, aka Reggie Jackson, that has 5 rings.

Why don't Dominican players do the little things? Julio Franco had the best quote, "You don't walk off the island." Meaning the good bunters and good guys that get on base by walking, don't catch the scout's eyes in DR and are left behind.
You have to swing from your heals and be a masher, in order to make it to America.

Jeter has good fundamentals, but he'd be nothing more than a "nice" player on the Royals.

Keep trying though. The more I look at the teams still alive in the pennanct races, unless the Twins win, there will be a prominent Selfish Dominican walking away with a ring this year, whether its Manny, ARod, Pujols, Sosa, or Beltre. The outlook is pretty good.