Yet Another Dominican With An Attitude- Kicked Out Of Baseball!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
There are plenty of hot heads in baseball, but the Dominicans definitely stand out because they are NOT shy about humiliating themselves with hysterical gyrations and ridiculous tantrums, over the dumbest things. I've seen it first hand over a parking space, about what taxi gets to bring the dumb gringo back to his hotel after a baseball game, shade, and even a shoeshine. It's a good thing they don't allow pistolas in baseball. They are all wannabe thespians if you ask me.

However, I don't agree with many of your (most of you) observations on some of these players. Dominicans play the game with a passion that very few do. If Sosa admires his home runs, it's always in a quick trot around the bases. Tejada wants a win, his personal stats are not his top priority, he hustles his *** of. I don't consider ARod or Manny Dominican, and they are at the other end of the spectrum of composure.
trina said:
.....Batters can do all they want, but if they don't have pitchers doing their job, they're not going to win the game.........

....The Yankees would be the exception to this rule...due to sell-out crowds, they can afford to have the best of the best in every position, and that's why they win. And when I think of the Yankees, I rarely think "team spirit". I think "huge payroll", allowing them to win.
Good points, but I think you'll have trouble selling me on the Yankees this year, according to your theory anyways.

On paper the Yanks batting order looks like an All-Star lineup (which it essentially is, but from multiple seasons). On the other hand, they can be shut down, that's been proven on many occasions (22-0 ring a bell?) .

Their starting pitching has little big-game experience beyond Mussina?I'm assuming Brown will not see much action. And it's not like their pitching has been lights out anyway, bullpen might be tired, but they are solid there.

But, as you clearly said, if they don't have the pitching "they're not going to win the game......"

Pitching-wise I think the Red Sox can do it. This is unlike any Sox team I've ever seen. They can beat you many ways, and finally in my lifetime, they can do it with defense.

Oakland has good pitching, but it's hasn't been producing in the second half. Anaheim has it, but not so much in the starters. Minnesota has Santana, but he's about it.

St. Louis has experience and a great game manager. I don't know the matchups but my dark horse team is Atlanta, they have some good pitching and they play the close games as good as anyone. LA or the wild card in the NL will only be packing an overnight bag for the playoffs.

Toneloc24, are you Mike? Or the Maddog? How much time do you spend in the boxscores every day? You don't seem to pay attention to the live action.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Larry said:
Wrong! Don't accuse me of being a racist because I call it how I see it. Accusing me of being "anti Dominican" is cheap and a crutch. Don't fall into the trap of crying racism everytime someone says something you may not like. I am not anti-Dominican. If you wish to dispute that, dig through my threads and find something to support your accusations.

Soriano won because he was on great yankee teams with great team players. He actually stunk it up in the playoffs every year. He has tons of talent but dosen't know how to take a walk, advance a baserunner, lay down a bunt...etc. No Dominican players do. I may have been unfair in naming Pujols as a hot dog. That guy can flat hit. However, I find the blowing kisses to the sky thing hot doggish and disrespectful. Tejada is a hot dog period. Great, but a hot dog. Ditto for Sosa. Ditto for Pedro. I think Manny is a hitting savant and is to dumb to know the difference between hog dogging and just plain existing so maybe I should not include him. The jury is still out on Ortiz. I do not question his desire to win.

I love baseball. I am a baseball purist. I appreciate the finer aspects of the game and feel that selfish players and hot dogs detract from the team and hurt the teams chances of winning. Period.

Larry

ENOUGH...! already! no one should generalize simply on the grounds of a few rouge wanna bes; let's focus on other things that are more productive other than this negativy crap.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I just wanna say this

Im reading this thread and it's quite heated. Even though it's bad to generalize a hole group of people due to the actions of a few, I can understand why things are being said. I believe most Dominican ballplayers represents us Dominicans in a bad light (http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34944 ) but I also know that those particular ballplayers are from "el campo" and do not have proper education, some were shoeshiners others worked in factories and are not of the same caliber of lets say Alex Rodriguez.
Baseball is a very emotional game mostly because it's somewhat boring, a player has to wait so long to bat and do what he loves that when they are benched they explode or act childish. It's human emotion.
I do not like how Guillen, Franco, Manny Ramirez & Pedro Martinez have acted. We must remember we are all humans and a few humans cannot represent a whole country or nationality, because we should all remember John Rocker, Barry Bonds, Don Zimmer :laugh:, etc.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Again, been a Yankees fan since 1977/1978. I just know my team. I hardly follow the boxscores, just the ESPN News wire to see how much they won by. Oh yeah, IN LIVE ACTION, the Yankees just clinched.....AGAIN.

I said before, the BoSox won't overtake the Yankees. Guess what? They didn't, and they won't. Pedro's acting like a boy whose dog just died. He can't beat the Yankees. And he's the heart and soul of that team. Schilling might muster a win against the Yankees. But the rest of the staff in the post-season????? Fill in the dots on what caused this year's choke......

I've lived in Atlanta for the past 11-12 yrs. Each year, they win the division title. Each year, there's an excuse why they don't advance further, or win the World Series. The management here is content just getting there. This year will be similar.

The Yankees will be facing the Cardinals in the World Series. We'll see who's pitching stands up to the test.

Cleef said:
On paper the Yanks batting order looks like an All-Star lineup (which it essentially is, but from multiple seasons). On the other hand, they can be shut down, that's been proven on many occasions (22-0 ring a bell?) .

Their starting pitching has little big-game experience beyond Mussina?I'm assuming Brown will not see much action. And it's not like their pitching has been lights out anyway, bullpen might be tired, but they are solid there.

But, as you clearly said, if they don't have the pitching "they're not going to win the game......"

Pitching-wise I think the Red Sox can do it. This is unlike any Sox team I've ever seen. They can beat you many ways, and finally in my lifetime, they can do it with defense.

St. Louis has experience and a great game manager. I don't know the matchups but my dark horse team is Atlanta, they have some good pitching and they play the close games as good as anyone. LA or the wild card in the NL will only be packing an overnight bag for the playoffs.

Toneloc24, are you Mike? Or the Maddog? How much time do you spend in the boxscores every day? You don't seem to pay attention to the live action.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
toneloc24 said:
I've lived in Atlanta for the past 11-12 yrs. Each year, they win the division title. Each year, there's an excuse why they don't advance further, or win the World Series. The management here is content just getting there. This year will be similar.

Have you ever really thought about why Atlanta wins the division title every year? Could it be due to the fact that their competition for the division is lousy? Consider the teams they have to beat to win...Montreal Expos...NY Mets...Philadelphia Phillies...Florida Marlins... Not saying these other teams don't have their good years, but Atlanta has the easiest division in the MLB, hands down. That's why they win.

As for the BoSox, I'm with Cleef, they have the heart to win, given a few minor changes. I've been a Red Sox fan for years, and I think this could be our year. I don't like the Manager, but he does have the team to win (I still say they need one more good starting pitcher, but let's give Arroyo a chance - Wakefield generally sucks in my opinion). I do like how he's been playing Mientkewicz (sp?) and Mirabelli a little more lately, these are stars that will pull through. If you ask me, take Veritek right outta there, he can't throw anyone out, opposing teams have a field day stealing bases. The batting lineup needs to change. Get Bellhorn out of second and move Trot Nixon there. Bellhorn is terrible, striking out more than anyone on the team - why is he still at second bat? He should be last bat as far as I'm concerned. And don't count Pedro out yet against the Yankees. He's mad and frustrated enough that it's going to work in his favor.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Trust me, Trina, I agree whole-heartedly with you about the Atlanta Braves. I was that dude in the stands at Turner Field in full Yankee regalia, when the Yankees came here to play (Inter-league/World-Series). They'll choke under real competition.

Regarding the BoSox, you're joking, right? It's their year........again?????? You must love heart-break. They probably won't even face the Yankees again this year.

Since you do, I know a nice Dominican baseball payer who's honest now that he's not working at Breezes. I promise, he won't break your heart either. :devious:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
toneloc24 said:
Regarding the BoSox, you're joking, right? It's their year........again?????? You must love heart-break. They probably won't even face the Yankees again this year.

Since you do, I know a nice Dominican baseball payer who's honest now that he's not working at Breezes. I promise, he won't break your heart either. :devious:

Thanks, but I have my very own Dominican ball player who's honest and doesn't break my heart. We've been married 4 years now. But cute try!

I can't wait to watch you eat crow on the BoSox!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Very simple!!

As long as we have THE YANKEES, every team in the majors only have a 10% chance to win the World Series.

Look at Boston, great team but they are intimidated by the Yankees. They can be playing the best baseball until they meet the Yankees. Ok, sometimes beat us but when it counts, they are so afraid of "us" that they practicly give up.

The Braves, another good team but they will win only if the Yankees are abolished.

Fine, the POWERFUL YANKEES hace not won a world series for a little while but they have clinched their division the past 7 years. Out of so many teams, it's fine the let "the little" teams win every now and then, hehe.

Die hard Yankee fan since I was a kid, 75 years ago, he!!! But a BIGGER boxing fan, go figure!.

Thread related: The Yankees had their share or hotheads: Mondesi, Sierra, Canseco, and some others. Not many under Torre since he would not put up with that schit and we all know that Soriano found out the hard way when he was caught admiring a homer and Torre told him off in person and in the press.