country slogan or saying

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
in costa rica everyone says "pura vida" ....It's on tshirts, signs and it's kind of like the countries slogan.

is there one for DR?

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
carcol said:
in costa rica everyone says "pura vida" ....It's on tshirts, signs and it's kind of like the countries slogan.

is there one for DR?

Honestly I bet it depends in what part of the country you are located it, I bet you will hear alot of different slogans from the cibao vs. Santo Domingo.

It should be "esta malo aqui" because everyone I speak to from the D.R says the same thing when you ask them how is it over there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Jozee74 said:
Honestly I bet it depends in what part of the country you are located it, I bet you will hear alot of different slogans from the cibao vs. Santo Domingo.

It should be "esta malo aqui" because everyone I speak to from the D.R says the same thing when you ask them how is it over there.

Nah, I think the slogan of the country is "No Hay Lu". That you hear everyday with out fail!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
National Slogan

It's based on the old Steve Miller song : Take the Money and Run.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
carcol said:

is there one for DR?

Tabaco y Ron

That is the country slogan

Que se acabe el arroz, la leche y la gasolina pero
el ron que no se acabe porque eso me da vitamina.

something like that.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Lmao

I laughed for about 10 min reading this.... too funny.
thanks

Nal0whs said:
Nah, I think the slogan of the country is "No Hay Lu". That you hear everyday with out fail!

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Mr_DR said:
Tabaco y Ron

That is the country slogan

Que se acabe el arroz, la leche y la gasolina pero
el ron que no se acabe porque eso me da vitamina.

something like that.

Good one, i think you hit the nail in the head; LOL

as for the last part i think it says, " POR QUE ESO ES MI MEDICINA" ;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
We have a winner!

Nal0whs said:

Can't beat "No Hay Lu". How about that on the front of the T-Shirt and "Es una Vaina" with a smiley face like this :cry: on the back......

mi do chele

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Official slogan is Dios, Patria, Libertad.
Unofficial slogans: Todo ta' Malo, Un Presidente and Dame Algo
Leonel's slogan: E' pa Lante que vamo. Its plastered everywhere!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've always been partial to 'ya tu sabes' and '?y es facil?' myself.

Imagine my delight when I discovered that one of our posters here used one of these phrases for his website address. 'No hay lu' is but a distant, dismal memory.

Yep, another satisfied customer. :cheeky:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
There is no??

Ricardo,

Dominican pronounciation of "no hay luz", dropping the final z or s sound. You know........ "uno, do, tre"
A reference to the current problems with the electricity.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Chirimoya said:
To a Brit that might mean the absence of sanitation facilities. ;)

I think you may have a legitimate "double entendre" there, since for many of the people I know in the DR "no hay lu" means "no hay loo too"! (or at least they'll need to flush with a bucket.)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Here's one that's been heard a lot this year when people talk about buying a car, house, etc.... cuando me saque la loto...

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
The Slogan should be "Que Mierda"

no hay luz Que Mierda
Que Mierda de Carro
Tengo Hambre Que Mierda no hay na pa comer

Its a bad situation in the D.R. and I hope that in the near future we start seeing positive changes. It is derpessing when I see on T.V. how dominicans have died by trying to flee the country in a life raft (u cant even call it a boat). I also would never criticize the men or women that are out there trying to meet tourists so they can find a meal ticket out of the D.R.