Need Baby names for a girl

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
I'm having girl number 2. I (we) need some unusual Dominican names for a girl before May. Any help is much appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You gotta be kidding!

Dominicans are going nuts with screwball names. They combine Mom and Dad and come up with really incredible names.

Remember that kids have to live with the names you give them, and while I am not a fanatic of the Spanish system that limits your imagination, I really think that Dominicans have taken it too far.

USMAIL was perhaps one of the funniest I ever heard of. His mother wanted a name that was very popular in the United States.

There are niuyorkinas, zelandias, australias, niulbis, walkys (her Mom liked the name of the little doll someone gave her (Walking Doll!!)....LUAITI was the strangest-it stands for Air, Earth and Water....

Please don't do this to the little girl.

Since names usually run in families, go back a couple of generations and see what they did.

HB :D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Since names usually run in families, go back a couple of generations and see what they did.

Here's a few from my family, a few generations hence:

Micaela
Fl?rida
Aspacia
Francisca
Niobe
Selenia
Ernestina

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Girl names DR style

Here are a couple:

Yubelkis
Idelkis
Meleikis
Yolani
Francia
Argentina
Yudelka

Classy like, you know

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have Three Children born here,a boy and two girls.

My son is named Thomas Robert,my girls are,Julia Irene,and Kaylee May.All named after various grandmas,pas,and aunts.Both Dominican and American.
See,nothing "wierd"! They have to spend a lifetime with the name you choose.
And don't forget,in the DR most everyone goes by a "Nickname" in their day to day life.You want wierd,give them a wierd "Apodo"!
There is a large thread about "baby Names" in the archives.
Those "Classy" names sound like the names of "Hookers" that I know!!!

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
try this on for size

Anacleta
Petronila
Aquilina
Arinez (my moms idea if my wife had a girl) haha
Damiurky
Charora
Aronys

Hope this helps.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Mayelin
Leidy
Carmelina
Ylka
Yerica
Mariel
Yoleisy
Yolanda
Yulisa
Dinorah
Anyelina
Niurka
there are lots of Ruth, Yudith, Elisa(beth)

one of those weird dominican inventions I heard was DANCARLI, based on the mother's 2 favourite sobrinos: Daniela and Carlito.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I hate made-up names, worse yet when they are mispelled foreign names (Chiri and I "collect" these names). I would have hated if my parents had given me a name that I had to constantly tell people how to spell. If your child has parents with different nationalities it makes it more difficult, as you have to chose a name that works in both languages.

Give me classics any day.

OK, I'll pick up my soap-box and go home now.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
great minds think alike

My favourite zany Dominican girls' names are Oranyi and Gaudy.

Many more - some even more bizarre - can be found in any newspaper: look at some of the journalists' names - could they be typos? Scan through the birthday announcements, death notices and names of people featured in the news. There is a definite class difference: upper classes tend to go for the ultra-traditional Spanish names like Maria something or other, while poorer parents seem to be engaged in some sort of challenge to find the weirdest moniker.

As Pib said, go for classics, names that work in both cultures (assuming one of the parents is not Dominican) - literature, history, mythology and religious texts have many names that are recognisable without being too common.

Truly Dominican names could be Taino names like Anacaona, Quisqueya and Milqueia (sp?) or honour historical figures like Salom? Ure?a, Camila Henriquez or Minerva Mirabal. Trouble with some of these is that they might not travel too well.

What's your first daughter's name?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I vote with Pib and Chiri. I look at most of the names listed in this thread and wonder why any parent would burden a child with one of them.

The child is going to be stuck with that name a lot longer than the parents.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
irishdomician said:
I'm having girl number 2. I (we) need some unusual Dominican names for a girl before May. Any help is much appreciated.

Your Typical DR names for a girl...

Arelia
carelia
Eloiza
Dania
Daniela
Yesennia
Larimar
Marisol
Antia
Fiordaliza
Alexandra
Yania
Cassandra
Kelia
Francia
Esperanza
Maria Elena
Consuelo.
Gardenia
Katia
Sonia.
Belkis
Yuderka
Mindalia
Carolina
Amelia

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I like the name Pilar. It may or may not be popular in DR, but it was my grandmother's name: Maria del Pilar, besides, it's a real Spanish name, not a made up one.

Talking about strange, very weird names, Cuba has become the land of outrageous names for both males and females. It's incredible, it beats the weirdest of any Dominican name. They are even hard to pronounce.

Some names are more neutral, may not necesarily be Spanish, or maybe they are, but are very widespread, are not weird and are also traditional like Norma, Olga, Lidia and easily fit in the US as well.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am surprised!

Nobody listed

Altagracia for Our Lady of Grace, the parton of the D.R.

The nickname would be "Tatica".

Many women are named after stars.

If there is really some Irish there, try for something like Moira, or Kathleen.

HB :D:D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:
the parton of the D.R.

Supresses urge to think up gag about megadivas and silicon implants... :laugh:

If there is really some Irish there, try for something like Moira, or Kathleen.

Difficult to think of Irish names that also work in Spanish, except for Maura which is both. Pronounced differently, though.

Kathleen would be Catalina in Spanish. You could go about it that way, with the Irish name and its Spanish equivalent. This has its limitations: it gets impossible when it comes to those really Irish names which don't look anything like the way they sound: Caoimh (Kweeva), Saoirse (Sorcha), Derbhile (Dervela), Niamh (Neeve), etc.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Oye

All kidding aside, classy names and all. A name that I have always loved for a girl, and works both in English, and Spanish is Penelope.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Of couse you can give your child some popular names taken from public figures, such as Stalin, Lenin, Hitler, Mussolini, Trovsky, etc. (all real-life examples). :tired:

Sometimes, just sometimes I wish we followed the Danish example and had a list of approved names. Of course the wish lasts very little as I would lose the chance to laugh at some of the outrageous names I find around.