Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Internet by satellite in the Dominican Republic

Hi there,

I'm thinking to invest in a satellite system here in DR, as I plan to move to a place where there is no ADSL Flash availability. My only solution to get high-speed internet is to use a satellite connection. I have already contacted 3 companies here in DR and prices are about 2000$ for equipment (dish + modem) and about 132-155$ per month for the service with DirecWay, and about 4500$ + 150$/month for Galileo (better connection).

Does anyone here has a system like this already installed ? If yes, which company would you recommand. How much did the installation cost you, and how is the quality of your service ?

Thanks in advance,
    Cirilo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default might be worth waiting for this

http://www.wildblue.com/
    coming to the states any time

same system in canada any time too thru telesat which is owned by bce so it'll probably be bell

installation is a problem but i'm sure theres going to be a workaround

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

DAMN! That's pricey. Mine is about $60US a month and I DONT WANT to pay even that. Good luck. I know alot of people have alot of money, but I would move next to Verizon before I think about putting out that kinda cash to chat on DR1
    TEHAMA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanx

Thanks for the info about Wildblue, but on their website they say that won't give service in Puerto Rico, only on the continent. So that means NO for us too, unless...

Galileo seems to be the most reliable - also the most pricey. DirecWay the most affordable but has not the best service, especially for upload. It's a big dilema for me, and as I make my leaving with internet, I need a high-speed connection and am ready to invest - but want to make the best investment of course.

Thanks for your replies guys, maybe more will come with positive news !
    Cirilo

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 221
    http://www.wildblue.com/
    coming to the states any time

same system in canada any time too thru telesat which is owned by bce so it'll probably be bell

installation is a problem but i'm sure theres going to be a workaround
    Wildblue is not going to have satellites servicing the Caribbean any time soon. There are no workarounds for satellite installations.

The prices that you were quoted are right on the mark. That is more or less what these things go for. Quality of service depends on the quality of your installation. If your installers do a good job of pointing, and you have a good provider, you will have good quality of service. There are only about three reliable companies in the DR. And looking by what you're being quoted, you've found one of them already.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Wildblue is not going to have satellites servicing the Caribbean any time soon. There are no workarounds for satellite installations.

The prices that you were quoted are right on the mark. That is more or less what these things go for. Quality of service depends on the quality of your installation. If your installers do a good job of pointing, and you have a good provider, you will have good quality of service. There are only about three reliable companies in the DR. And looking by what you're being quoted, you've found one of them already.
    Thanks Chris.
    Are you using this system too ? Could you give me the contact information for those companies and which one you think is the best ?

Thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been living with Satellite connectivity in the Caribbean for the past four or so years. I won't change as the reliability is just excellent. If you do a search on the board, I've posted from time to time as to the developments in this field. The DirecWay systems are good for the job that they are required to do. Also, Galileo offers a range of what is DirecWay hardware under another name. It depends what you need. Feel free to contact us directly or Dunhill systems on the South Coast. I'm sure Arjan of Dunhill systems will give you customer references for real time experience. You'll find him easily under the weather forum, to send a private mail, as he reports weather for us from Juan Dolio. They are the one reliable supplier, and will stay with you until the installation is satisfactory, and we are the other reliable supplier.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris,

I'm already in touch with Arjan, and he gave me really good information - he knows what he's talking about and have been very patient with me, answering all my questions.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Great! That what I meant when I said that it looks like you've found one of the reliable suppliers

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cirilo
    Hi there,

I'm thinking to invest in a satellite system here in DR, as I plan to move to a place where there is no ADSL Flash availability. My only solution to get high-speed internet is to use a satellite connection. I have already contacted 3 companies here in DR and prices are about 2000$ for equipment (dish + modem) and about 132-155$ per month for the service with DirecWay, and about 4500$ + 150$/month for Galileo (better connection).

Does anyone here has a system like this already installed ? If yes, which company would you recommand. How much did the installation cost you, and how is the quality of your service ?

Thanks in advance,
    Cirilo
    On the north coast call Dolphy. He sells the equip. and services also installs. 571-2217. He told me yesterday he had a used system "Dish etc." for sale.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast