Great quote on Peso

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
From DR1 news:

"As reported in Hoy newspaper, he said that the exchange rate has been fluctuating between RD$28-RD$29 to the US$1, or about 100% less than it was eight months ago."

Something 100% less than a 8 months ago is zero. It is about half (down 50%). When it doubled it went go up 100% but if it then goes down it doesn't go down by 100%.

This is from the Finance Minister, not a mathematician, obviously.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Are A "TROUBLEMAKER!"

What makes you think that having qualifications in the area that you are in charge of is a prerequisite in the Dominican Government? ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Chris said:
This is a "Freudian Slip". The math is wrong, the conclusion is right! It's about 100% less and its getting 'lesser and lesser' despite all odds ;)

It cannot be 100% less. If you have $5 and lose 100% of $5 which is $5 you have zero. It is 50% less than it was. After it was 100% more than it was.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let Me "ATTEMPT" to Moderate this dispute!

Criss,"GOT IT",Rick!.He too,is making fun of the Minister,"Lesser and Lesser!"

It was not a ,"Freudian Slip",by the Minister, it was an "ignorant" slip,but a very common mistake!

Kind of like, "Turn "up" the airconditioner", when you want the temperature to go "down"!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
People have a tendency to say what they think without taking the time

to think if what they're saying is what they mean!!
I Always turn the air conditioner up (as in raise the temperature setting) when I want the room warmer and I turn it down (as in lower the temperature setting) when I want the room cooler! Gets me some funny looks when everyone is sweating their heads off and I say I'm going to turn the air "down"!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ricktoronto said:
It cannot be 100% less. If you have $5 and lose 100% of $5 which is $5 you have zero. It is 50% less than it was. After it was 100% more than it was.

BooHoo, nobody understands my joke :cry: I understand the math !

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
And to add insult to injury...

Criss Colon said:
Criss,"GOT IT",Rick!.He too,is making fun of the Minister,"Lesser and Lesser!"
Criss C. thinks you're a guy. :eek:

Actually,I have had the pleasure(Of Meeting Chris that is! ;) )and even with that little blond mustache, even I knew that she was no he! ;)

It was "BUSHBABY" that had me fooled!!!!!!!!!!

And I got her joke too!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator: