Bringing new family to US

rtinmich

Apr 6, 2005
When visiting friends last fall in the Dominican Republic I met a woman that I became very close to. We kept in touch and after a few months she told me she was expecting our child. We've decided to marry when I return in May. She has a 13 year old daughter of her own, plus a baby she is caring for that was abandoned by its mother. She will probably also give birth to our daughter before we marry in May. Can anyone give help in the process I need to go through to get everyone back to the U.S? Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH Boy!

Like about a year or so wait. And paper work like you won't believe.
Forget the little girl being taken care of, how do you think that will fly? Only if the woman says that she is her daughter will it work and she better have the birth certificate to prove it!!

Oh man are you in for some hassles....

HB :(:(:(

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Don't forget her parents, Tios, Tias, and many primos!

I hope you have a good job to support them all.
A DNA test might not be a bad idea.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Some points to consider

Point 1 -If you get married in the Republic getting them into this country will be a 1 to 3 year + or minus process (closer to two or 3 unless you are lucky). Point 2 If you go for a K1 it will take 6 to 9 months at present. Additional problems - The child that is not of your wife's blood will be impossible for you to bring here because of the following - . The parents names must apear on the child'd birth certs and adoption under the new laws is very difficult for a non Dominican if not entirely impossible (the counsul will probably want DNA tests at the ABru Clinic to verify either you or your girl is a legitimate parent of the child - a result of child abductions). Now to your wife's child - 1st the natural father can block your removal of the child from the Dominican Republic and 2nd if there is any question at all presented by the birth papers of the child DNA tests will be asked for. As for your own child there should be no problem as long as it is declared early look into this at the following site http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ask/children_born_abroad1.htm
no matter what you decide to do I'm sorry to say it will be dificult and costly so take a minute to look into everything before you leap.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You didn't say how long you were in the DR.....

however I'll second the motion of the poster who recommended DNA testing!
Story sounds to me like a hundred others of the same variety I've seen/heard.
It's highly possible you've been pegged as a "ticket" out of paradise! :tired:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My advice is to find a reputable immigration lawyer in the US (not in the DR). Having a knowledge lawyer will remove alot of the guess work. A good lawyer should be able to give you an accurate picture of the timeline for what you diecide to do.

rtinmich

Apr 6, 2005
I know the baby is mine. The doctor says she is due exactly 9 months from when I was there, and my friends' family has known her for years. She's not certain she wants to come to the U.S., because she knows that she'd have to leave the other child there. She's happy in the DR. I'm going back to the DR in 3 or 4 weeks to try to settle things. I own a business in the U.S. and can't stay there for long periods of time. What rights do I have as an American father in the DR? Can I bring my daughter back to the U.S? Could it really take 2 or 3 years?

Thanks for your feedback.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Deritive Rights

If you follow proper procedure the child will be a US citizen upon birth (be sure to follow the requirements posted earlier and the only thing you need for her will be a passport. With her mothers permission and with you listed on the birth certificate and a US passport you can take her where-ever you please.
But in order to do this you need to follow the proper registration procedures at the US Counsel. The others will take the extended time for admission. The only problem will occur with the baby if the mother refuses to give you permission (the permission may need to be in the form of a poder for Dominican Custons to permit egress of the child).