Love in the DR

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
I have travelled in many countries and I have noticed the sense or feeling of love is different than that of the USA. In the USA u normally feel or believe you are in love with a person normally through an intermediate amount of time, like 4 months.

However when I meet Women in the DR i normally hear the words Te quiero and Te amo usually after a few days. I hear these words from varying classes of women within the DR and basically i wanted to know the true meaning of Te quiero. Does it mean i am in love with you, i love u as a person or I love the bulge in your pockets.

Do clarify thanks

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Badussy said:
I have travelled in many countries and I have noticed the sense or feeling of love is different than that of the USA. In the USA u normally feel or believe you are in love with a person normally through an intermediate amount of time, like 4 months.

However when I meet Women in the DR i normally hear the words Te quiero and Te amo usually after a few days. I hear these words from varying classes of women within the DR and basically i wanted to know the true meaning of Te quiero. Does it mean i am in love with you, i love u as a person or I love the bulge in your pockets.

Do clarify thanks

if it's after a few days then you can translate it as #3 'I love the bulge in your pockets'

(okay - I know there are always exceptions.....)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Another person on DR1 said on a previous thread that with dominican women it is love or nothing. But dude, you are hearing "Te quiero" after a few days? I usually hear it after just a few hours!!!(no, I am not kidding-and not just from ghetto chopas, either-just broads looking to get paid)
You need to work a little faster. I almost got married after 5 hours of heavenly love!!!! Almost, I said... ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
A theory....

Someone I know, who shall remain nameless, suggested this theory and I tend to agree.

Love is an interesting concept but only after survival is taken care of. When a culture or a group of people live day to day and are focused on their survival needs - food, shelter etc.... then "love" becomes a luxury. As such the word seems to be used without substantial meaning. In many cases it is a word that is a means to an end and that end is survival... It is at times like currency, used for trade.

Only when the culture, group or the individuals are at the point where survival is not the issue THEN can the concept of love, as most of us know and understand it, be used!

So be aware, the word is thrown around and can mean many different things depending on who is using it!

My 2 pesos worth...

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Berzin said:
Another person on DR1 said on a previous thread that with dominican women it is love or nothing. But dude, you are hearing "Te quiero" after a few days? I usually hear it after just a few hours!!!(no, I am not kidding-and not just from ghetto chopas, either-just broads looking to get paid)
You need to work a little faster. I almost got married after 5 hours of heavenly love!!!! Almost, I said... ;)

Work? the DR is the only place on earth that i know off where it is more difficult not the seduce a woman than to seduce one. You have to work real hard and have a lot of determination in order to sleep without a woman at your side. Even my father, 64years, had difficulties to fend of young women, even when they knew who he was (eg "family")

Greetings

Johan

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
daydream said:
if it's after a few days then you can translate it as #3 'I love the bulge in your pockets'

(okay - I know there are always exceptions.....)

Sometimes both bulges, front and side (or back if your wallet is there).

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
planner said:
Someone I know, who shall remain nameless, suggested this theory and I tend to agree.

Love is an interesting concept but only after survival is taken care of. When a culture or a group of people live day to day and are focused on their survival needs - food, shelter etc.... then "love" becomes a luxury. As such the word seems to be used without substantial meaning. In many cases it is a word that is a means to an end and that end is survival... It is at times like currency, used for trade.

Only when the culture, group or the individuals are at the point where survival is not the issue THEN can the concept of love, as most of us know and understand it, be used!

So be aware, the word is thrown around and can mean many different things depending on who is using it!

My 2 pesos worth...

I think you make very valid points, I asked the sankie i was hanging out with why is this girl saying this to me and he was like "its just an expression, she doesn't comprehend the true meaning"

Only one time i even thought of believing a girl was wen she layed down in front of my car and wouldnt leave unless i reconsile with her. Yes this is after being thrown out off burbujas for scuffling with her.

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
Berzin said:

well pretty soon u will hear right immediately after insertion ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios mio!!

Badussy said:

Do clarify thanks
May I ask how old you are?.

I ask because anybody in their right mind knows that whomever says "te quiero" after a few days, it's only trying to say "listen, pendejo, te quiero so you can support me and my family and I don't care if you are ugly, fat, old and your Johnson does not work". Have money, will travel!!

Read between the lines, the dominican lines that is!!!!!.

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
miguel said:
May I ask how old you are?.

I ask because anybody in their right mind knows that whomever says "te quiero" after a few days, it's only trying to say "listen, pendejo, te quiero so you can support me and my family and I don't care if you are ugly, fat, old and your Johnson does not work". Have money, will travel!!

Read between the lines, the dominican lines that is!!!!!.

I am in my 20's the johnson is quite functional, can't quite do pene situps but i can't complain. Oh and i hear this te quiero from so called decent educated women and that is why i thought maybe it has a different meaning besides its litteral one.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was always under the impression that "te quiero" means more along the lines of " like you, care for you " I wouldn't take "te quiero" in the same way as "te amo con todo mi corazon".
To me those two are miles apart and no one better say to me "te amo" after a few days or I'd laugh out loud. LOL :laugh:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
I was always under the impression that "te quiero" means more along the lines of " like you, care for you " I wouldn't take "te quiero" in the same way as "te amo con todo mi corazon".
To me those two are miles apart and no one better say to me "te amo" after a few days or I'd laugh out loud. LOL :laugh:

You often hear people say "te quiero" to each other. It is not "I love you", but more a line of appreciation, like you say " I care for you".
People say it to each other if they meet on the street or talk on the phone as well. In the same sense as "cuidate" is said, but meaning "take care".

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
When they say "me haces falta" you are in serious love monkey waters. Te quiero and te amo and amor this and that is just leading up to the good part.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sorry!

I just went and listened to one of my favorite songs which explain, correctly, the definition of "te quiero" and "te amo":

Casi todos sabemos querer pero pocos sabemos amar(Almost all/everyone knows how to "querer" but only a few know how to "amar")

Es que amar y querer no es igual, amar es sufrir y querer es gozar ( "amar" and "querer" is not the same, to "amar" is to suffer and to "querer" is to have fun)

El que ama pretende seguir, el que ama su vida la da. El que quiere pretende vivir y nunca sufrir (The one that "ama" would rather continue, the one that "ama" would give his/her life. The one that "quiere" would rather live his/her live and to never suffer)

El que ama no puede pensar y todo lo da. El que quiere pretende olvidar y nunca llorar (The one that "ama" can not think and would give his/her all/everything. The one that "quiere" would rather forget and would never cry)

El querer pronto puede acabar. El amor no conoce el final (To "querer" can finish quickly. The "amor" knows no end).

El amor es el cielo y la luz, el amor es total plenitud, es el mar que no tiene final. Es la gloria y la paz (The "amor" is the sky and the light, the "amor" is complete fullfillment, it's the river that has no end, it's heaven and peace)

El querer es la calma y la flor, es buscar el oscuro rincon, es morder, aranar y besar, es deseo fugaz (To "querer" is being calm, it's like a flower, is to search for that dark place, it's to bite, scratch and kiss, it's a beasty desire)

Enjoy!!.

Btw, now I have to get a much needed drink. Maybe 5. Crap, it's too late to call Ms Flower!!!.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
c'mon miguel, you can't leave people hanging.....that was Jose Jose, with the words of wisdom.

Badussy said:

Do clarify thanks

I usually hear them tell me that in 1 or 2 hours. :) Gotta Love DR

Berzin said:

It is called speed dating, Its like dog years, for every day you date a girl in DR it is 30 days in American time.So if you have a girl for 30 days in DR you have basiclly been dating her the American equivalent of 2 1/2 years.
Badpiece