Need Avice on my trip POP/STI/SDQ

El Tiburon

Jul 13, 2005
Decided to try out the North coast for the first time. I am usually in the south or east but this time i opted for something new. I hope to start off in Sosua and later end up in SDQ.

So...I will arrive in POP and want to stay in sosua for a few days. I am looking for a place in Sosua that is cheap (max 30$us/night) with AC and chica friendly. Please also point out the good places to eat as I don't want to get abused with the tourist prices.

Next how would I get from Sosua/POP to Santo Domingo. Is their a bus that goes, there? if so how long does it take? How much would a taxi cost from Pop to the capital?

I may decide to stop in Santiago on the way can u provide recommendations on where to stay? Again somewhere that is chica friendly.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Search the past posts for the 2,000 or so that tell you how to take a bus from the north shore to the capital. A taxi would be somewhat faster but a needless waste of money.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Search the past posts for the 2,000 or so that tell you how to take a bus from the north shore to the capital. A taxi would be somewhat faster but a needless waste of money.
Or you can fly from POP or STI to SDQ for around 50 bucks and under an hour. If I were you I would opt for the latter.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ggn420 said:
Or you can fly from POP or STI to SDQ for around 50 bucks and under an hour. If I were you I would opt for the latter.
What airlines fly from SDQ-POP? Do you have a telephone number or website address for them? Any idea of the frequency of the flights?

Last edited:

El Tiburon

Jul 13, 2005
ggn420 said:

Sounds like a good idea. Do the planes land and herrera (sp) airport in SDQ? How do i find information about the flights, besides going there and they say well u just missed it ;)

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
the tropix hotel in sosua (google search them, i think it's just www.tropixhotel.com) is cheap, and friendly. small, quiet, and it feels really safe. no ac, but the fans work great and really keep the rooms cool. also, it's right in the middle of town and a couple minute's walk to the beach

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
El Tiburon said:
Sounds like a good idea. Do the planes land and herrera (sp) airport in SDQ? How do i find information about the flights, besides going there and they say well u just missed it ;)
You will not have a problem getting a flight, Aero Domca leaves every other hour, wait till you get to the airport to get your ticket. Yes they do fly out of Herrera, the trip to POP is around $60 and under 1 hour......the fast track, the way to go.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
El Tiburon said:
So...I will arrive in POP and want to stay in sosua for a few days. I am looking for a place in Sosua that is cheap (max 30$us/night) with AC and chica friendly. Please also point out the good places to eat as I don't want to get abused with the tourist prices.

Next how would I get from Sosua/POP to Santo Domingo. Is their a bus that goes, there? if so how long does it take? How much would a taxi cost from Pop to the capital?
Hotel Europa will cost you $33 US/night in the new building for a 3 day stay, and a bit cheaper in their older (Plaza Sosua) building accross the street.
AC, TV with cable, pool, kitchenette, safety box, nice rooms, the whole 9 yards.
Bus to Santo Domingo takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours for approx. 10 bucks.
Taxi can be negotiated for $120 US, and would take 3 hours.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Escott said:
Who flies to STI from POP?
Sorry Escott, in this case we're talking about the options to POP. I fly from SDQ to STI all the time when I'm doing business there, and so do a million other tourists..... to POP from SDQ. People who have money and are'nt afraid to dig in their pockets for 60 dollars.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Rocky said:
Hotel Europa will cost you $33 US/night in the new building for a 3 day stay, and a bit cheaper in their older (Plaza Sosua) building accross the street.
AC, TV with cable, pool, kitchenette, safety box, nice rooms, the whole 9 yards.
Bus to Santo Domingo takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours for approx. 10 bucks.
Taxi can be negotiated for $120 US, and would take 3 hours.
I noticed he said "I" not "we" now that's makes a difference does'nt it Marco?
Let's starting doing math again..............LOL

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
El Tiburon said:
At Herrera, call them at 809-567-1195, 567-1984 or 565-5641 if you want to make resv.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ggn420 said:
At Herrera, call them at 809-567-1195, 567-1984 or 565-5641 if you want to make resv.
Thank you for that information.
I phoned them all.
The first 2 were the same person answering the phone, and he explained that he had no scheduled commercial flights, but that a private airplane fo 1 person was $275 US.
The third number, was Aerodom, and they gave me the exact same answer. No scheduled $60 US flights, just a small private plane for $275 US.
Would you please give us the numbers for the airlines that fly every 2 hours for $60 US?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ggn420 said:
You will not have a problem getting a flight, Aero Domca leaves every other hour, wait till you get to the airport to get your ticket. Yes they do fly out of Herrera, the trip to POP is around $60 and under 1 hour......the fast track, the way to go.
How far is it from SDQ to HEX?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rellosk said:
How far is it from SDQ to HEX?
I can't tell you the distance, but in light traffic conditions, you could make it in 40 to 45 minutes, as Las Hereras is in the North-West end of Santo Domingo.
If you were to be going through there at rush hour, it could take an hour.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
To the OP....

Stay at the Europa. Eat at Rockys and Baileys. Take Carribe tours for 220 pesos from Sosua to Santo Domingo; unless you really want to pay $50 USD or however much more it is (probably much more) to fly, but I don't see the point in doing so. No sense in complicating things; take the bus.

Larry

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ggn420 said:
Sorry Escott, in this case we're talking about the options to POP. I fly from SDQ to STI all the time when I'm doing business there, and so do a million other tourists..... to POP from SDQ. People who have money and are'nt afraid to dig in their pockets for 60 dollars.
I thought that the poster asked how to get to STI from POP because he wanted to stop there first. When are you sending me my ticket south so I can join you for lunch?

I will be going to Columbia in about 10 days to take care of some business maybe I can stop on the way?

Escott

PS> Maybe one day you could lend me the 60$ US so I can fly instead of drive. I am so broke I can't afford to pay attention!

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
I phoned them all.
The first 2 were the same person answering the phone, and he explained that he had no scheduled commercial flights, but that a private airplane fo 1 person was $275 US.
The third number, was Aerodom, and they gave me the exact same answer. No scheduled $60 US flights, just a small private plane for $275 US.
Would you please give us the numbers for the airlines that fly every 2 hours for $60 US?
Why would YOU want this info. He specifically said "People with MONEY" and you are a broke dope. 60 US 275US who cares if you have money!

Escott

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Rocky said:
I phoned them all.
That's exactly why you don't call them on the phone. I got the same answer from the hotel in PC when I called. I went to the airport in PC and boarded in 30 minutes to SDQ. Once there I had to wait 1 hour for a Domca flight up north. I took the phone numbers directly off their receipt. Also on the receipt, 3900RD round trip, lets see, oops, I was 5 dollars off. It is actually 65US. My appology.The date was March 10.05 so maybe it went up a little.
They always will tell you about the charters which no one goes on, unless you have 6 people, hummmmmm 275 divided by 6.. not a bad deal
I wish I had your time to investigate others airfare info. The next time I fly I will let you do my legwork for me
Thanks, and have a nice day