Gas Price: 144 Pesos A Gallon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabre004

Aug 4, 2005
Today Friday September 02 the premium gas costs 115 a gallon, the government announced yesterday that all gasoline?s will have a 29 pesos raise. WOW... that's crazy! 5 dollars for one gallon!

"Trascendi? que el aumento ma?ana rondar? los RD$29 por gal?n de todos los combustibles. Garc?a habl? en una rueda de prensa en el sal?n Orlando Mart?nez, en el Palacio Nacional, junto a Roberto Marchena, vocero del gobierno, y Rub?n Mont?s, presidente de la Comisi?n de Energ?a."

http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=53064

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
It's going to get worse

I imagine how you feel about this, I share this anger. Now just imagine how a Dominican sees this. Putting things in perspective. A Dominican must spend a days salary (10-12 hours) to purchase one stinking gallon of gas! Putting that in perspective, a gallon of gas would cost me over $320.00 US. We don't have it even a small fraction as bad as an average Dominican. Amazing but true.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
I imagine how you feel about this, I share this anger. Now just imagine how a Dominican sees this. Putting things in perspective. A Dominican must spend a days salary (10-12 hours) to purchase one stinking gallon of gas! Putting that in perspective, a gallon of gas would cost me over $320.00 US. We don't have it even a small fraction as bad as an average Dominican. Amazing but true.
I don't understand your math. The way I figure it with the Dominican minimum wage of around 5000 pesos for 176 hours of work that is around 28 pesos/hour. With gas at 144 pesos/gallon, a minimum wage worker must work 5.14 hrs to earn 1 gal. gas. Or taking that 5.14 hors to the USA at $7.35 dollars/hour it comes to $37.78 US per gallon, not the $320 Us you state. But maybe you are doing Dominican New Math.

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks for correcting me

HOWMAR said:
I don't understand your math. The way I figure it with the Dominican minimum wage of around 5000 pesos for 176 hours of work that is around 28 pesos/hour. With gas at 144 pesos/gallon, a minimum wage worker must work 5.14 hrs to earn 1 gal. gas. Or taking that 5.14 hors to the USA at $7.35 dollars/hour it comes to $37.78 US per gallon, not the $320 Us you state. But maybe you are doing Dominican New Math.

Ok HOW, a Dominican must work 5.14 hours to buy a measly gallon of gas. Does that make you feel any better? If it does, then you accomplished something today. Congrats!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Trying to make a realtive point

windeguy said:
Sorry, I misunderstood the relative issues comparing US to DR wages.

Sorry about my math. I am just trying to point out that an average Dominican must work a long time to buy a gallon of gas. Sorry everyone is confused here. *sigh*

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
President Bush said don't buy gas unless you have to. Doesn't everyone buy gas just for the fun of it? :confused:

At those prices who can buy it just for fun?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
Ok HOW, a Dominican must work 5.14 hours to buy a measly gallon of gas. Does that make you feel any better? If it does, then you accomplished something today. Congrats!
The real flaw in this whole exercise is the fact that a Dominican minimum wage earner cannot afford a car, he doesn't have to pay for gas. An American minimum wage earner may still have a car. It maybe a $500 clunker, but he has a car. In the DR you need to be a middle wage earner to have that clunker.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
There ya go

HOWMAR said:
The real flaw in this whole exercise is the fact that a Dominican minimum wage earner cannot afford a car, he doesn't have to pay for gas. An American minimum wage earner may still have a car. It maybe a $500 clunker, but he has a car. In the DR you need to be a middle wage earner to have that clunker.

Good input there HOW

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
HOWMAR said:

And if you are a middle wage earner with a clunker, your clunker probably runs on propane.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
President Bush said don't buy gas unless you have to. Doesn't everyone buy gas just for the fun of it? :confused:

Thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

May 31, 2005
It's actually more sad than funny. I have seen it increase everyday since Katrina. Right now in Orlando it is around 3.01 for regular and 3.22 for premium. I'm afraid to find out how much it will be tomorrow.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
in the meantime in Europe...U$ 6.50/gallon

we are breaking records
this morning in Belgium prices were raised to
regular : EUR 1.40/liter = EUR 5.30/gallon = U$ 6.47/gallon = 194 pesos
premium: EUR 1.50/liter = EUR 5.68/gallon = U$ 6.93/gallon = 208 pesos
:cry: Bartolomeo

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Not that I am happy....

...but it is a wake-up call. Time to seek alterntive energy sources in earnest...sheeeit, we can put people on the moon, shouldn't be that hard to cut our dependence on oil (I am NO expert mind you) . All that was needed was a little incentive.....

Ian

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
The rich get richer

I feel so sorry, for the people that can't afford these prices. :cry: they say prices are going to come down.... but when? Meanwhile people have to take care of the home front first off, and many times that's a handful in itself just struggling to get by. Can you imagine a family struggling to save for a car and finally get it... saving and cutting back tremendously to achieve their goal and now we're does the extra money come from to get from point A to point B for the increase in price? starve your family :cry: can't cut back any more, so I guess you either go in the hole,or wave to your car when you leave home to catch the bus. This is bull crap wherever you live.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Up here in the Great White North.....

gas is $1.29 a litre or $5.16 a gallon.
Heard it will be $1.34 tomorrow

Any way you do the math it's damn expensive.....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
It sounds crazy but...

Anna Coniglio said:

I must be honest here to all of you international guys out there that don't know. Many Americans just hop into their cars to drive nowhere...that's right! They just hop into their luxury cars and sports cars and drive around. Heck even the moms and dads load the kids into their SUVs and Caravans complete with DVD players etc. and drive to.... nowhere! I used to enjoy going for a Sunday drive through Harriman State Park or up into the Catskills. It was a nice way to spend the day especially in the Fall season when the leaves change their colors. I have stopped this practice a long time ago. Sure I miss it, but I am not going to burn up gasoline for nothing and pump money into the pockets of a bunch of people that could care less about the world! I drive round trip back and forth to work of about 44 miles a day. I keep track of my fuel purchases and mileage. I average 48 miles a day, driving just4 miles a day to do errands etc which I think is pretty darn good!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
This is why I don't complain too loudly....

MommC said:
gas is $1.29 a litre or $5.16 a gallon.
Heard it will be $1.34 tomorrow

Any way you do the math it's damn expensive.....

I know there are others paying a lot more for gas then I am!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Depending on your political belief....

Hlywud said:
Tuesday 99 cents per liter
Thursday $1.18 per liter
Friday $1.35 per liter and reports as high as $1.98 per liter.

Price Gouging Oil Rich CompaniesThey will bankrupt many samll companies with these increases

Boycott these companies. Personally, I am boycotting middle eastern owned oil companies! Again, this is a broadly placed opinion and I am not attempting to get into an international argument about it. Some people might love the arabs and if they do more power to them. Continue buying their oil then. Live and let live, to each their own!

Status
Not open for further replies.