How Do you plan to make a Diffrence this year?

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
How Do you plan to make a Diffrence in your community this year that you didn't have time to do in 2005?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
By getting involved with the Santiago Judo Association and opening a new dojo for young kids....:p

By continuing my efforts to teach kids about our history and our heritage.

By trying to see if I can really compost as easily as Keith says we can. (I've never tried it in a plastic barrel).

HB :D

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Oh, Great Guru..

I plan on bringing another weelchair for an unfortunate soul. This will be
my number 5. :eek:
Then I'll buy Mr. elusive (HB) a nice cold Presidente at AHIBAR.

Zeus (primus inter pares).

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
I plan to tutor some local kids, i.e., some shoeshine boys or the kids who sell CDs on the streets.

Most of these kids don't go to school; their family needs the income they provide.

Sad.

I already tutor one kid, Alic, and I would like to have more. I think kids can learn really well in groups as well as one-on-one so I want to do both.

It puts a smile on my face to see that Alic can now identify all of the continents on the map; before, he didn't even know where his own country was.

Happy New Year,

Sunnie

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
By continuing to do what I always do.....

Bringing medical supplies to the local free clinic,
Bringing school supplies to the school,
Helping Mara with her foundation and this year setting up a blog to promote the foundation more.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Helping to open a school

Over the last year I have been helping a great friend of mine and his church in Charmicos.

I have been able to fund raise here in Canada and had also had an art exhibit in a local gallery showing a number of paintings from the DR along with the photos and stories showcasing four particular artists from the Dominican. It was featured in the local newspaper and a second article was printed about the project and about life in the DR for these artists.

I am also currently working with a national organization to get charitable status for the church and charity in the DR and on the 9th of January the school will be starting-not much there yet as far as supplies and such-and we will begin with just under 50 children.

I may not be able to be in the DR all of the time for now-just spent two months there-but my heart is always there and this is a way of giving back to those who have made my time there so meaningful.

Anyone interested in seeing some of the photos just see the attached link.

http://www.pbase.com/jamesfriesen

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Helping out the Santiago school

That's what it's all about.Children with nothing but have hope ,due to giving people. I wish I could give to all underprivileged in every country.... but I can't.So I will stick at this location and help the best that I can.

It may sound selfish to certain people on this board...BUTT I will help at that school which I have and also help my little buddy Francisco...... who does not even know it yet.;)

It only takes a little bit of people's time and money in a child's life to make a difference.;)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
To do more....

Last year was a bad year for me business wise in New York. I wasn't able to do all of the things I wanted to do in the DR. However, I was still able to get 6 computers donated to the Lt. Rosario Polanco School at the F.A.D. base. I was also able to assist a family in Jamao de Norte with the completion of their new home I helped pay to build. For 2006 I will begin the year by paying the tuition of a friend's daughter so that she can go to college in Santiago and to continue helping her brother with medical school at UTESA. There is a wonderful little boy of 6 years in El Batey, Sosua who lost his leg in a moto concho accident. I plan on making this year the best of his young life! I certainly hope I can fullfill these virtues. I hope you can fullfill your too!

Happy New Year!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I have started by giving a big teddy bear I have too a child in my sister's school. This child lives in poor conditions and was found looking for food in the garbage. This breaks my heart and makes me want to cry :( This shouldn't be happening and I know there are many kids all over the world living like this. I must say a few teachers have taken it upon themselves to feed and cloth this child and provide them with support. I think it's wonderful and amazing thing they are doing. I was told the child is attached to a school teddy bear and I decided they needed there own and I am going to give my newly huge chocolate brown bear and I hope it makes them happy!! He's so soft and cuddly. :)
Sometimes the smallest thing can make a huge difference in someone's life!

I have been collecting supplies to bring on my next trip to the DR for the kids :)

I wish I could do so much more but I'll do what I can for now!! :)