To Blog or Not to Blog? That's the question!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have been thinking on whether I should create a blog on DR1.

In fact, I have given so much thought, I have not come to a full conclusion for quite some time now.

I think it has been two months since I PM Robert on what was needed to create a blog. Robert promptly responded, but I continued to think whether its a good idea, whether I have the time, etc.

It's one thing to post on a thread where ideas are flowing and its easy to express one's opinion on something. Its a different arena with a blog, where I will have to be constantly thinking of what to post, etc.

What does the DR1 crowd think, should I create a blog?

Since a blog will be for all of you to read, I will let all you decide.

-NALs;)

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I had those very same thoughts, but yet I decided to give it a try. And I find that it helps me make decisions, and lets me get things off my chest I want to have said. It find it very theraputic, and the repsonses and comments I have had, are very welcoming, and comforting. I enjoy it very much.

Do I get stressed about what to write?..no, I wll let a few days go, and then will post. It's not manadatory that you post every single day, but just little tidbits are good. I enjoy blogging, and I have enjoyed everyones BLOG on DR1. Including my own ;)

Lisa

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Nal,
I think you should start a blog, personally I love reading them, give it a go!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think it would be a wonderful idea.
But as you say, first consider do you have the time?
A thread on DR1 is one thing, a blog is pretty much a monologue.
Think of what you see in your blog...daily life, issues you like to raise, info you would like to share... etc etc..

Also be prepared to get alots of emails and pm?s. I get 10-50 each day, and even though I don?t have the time to respond to them, people get a feeling they know you through a blog, and therefor can ask you personal questions etc, and if you responded to all, you would have no more time to live your regular life.

My thought with my own blog was to share my regular life here, in words and pictures, as I figured it might be useful to people with plans of moving here.
Pictures themselves, I think is nice even if you don?t plan to move here, but yet has an interest in DR and life here.

Finally, I think you have alot to give, and so much information on so many topics to share, and I would really like to see your blog happening.
So deside if time is on your side, if you see your thoughts or life or topics of your interest in print.. If you do, go ahead.

You have alots of substance to share with people, of questions of value, instead of the more common of who is dancing with whom and where, to quote CC...

And CC ... what happened with your thought of a blog??????

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
aegap said:
Nal, when you do decide, make sure to cross-list it in blogsdominicanos.com
Cool, I've just added mine. If they'll have the likes of me, that is.;)

Nals, of course you should start one. You make up the rules (within reason) and it's up to you what you write about, when/how often you update it, etc. We're also free to choose when, or whether, to read it.

A Nals blog would be a welcome addition seeing as you have plenty to say, and obviously enjoy writing about a range of topics. As all DR1 bloggers so far are expats, neither DR-based or overseas-based Dominicans are represented.

You fit in to at least one of those two categories, don't you?;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
carina said:
I think it would be a wonderful idea.
But as you say, first consider do you have the time?
A thread on DR1 is one thing, a blog is pretty much a monologue.
Think of what you see in your blog...daily life, issues you like to raise, info you would like to share... etc etc..

Also be prepared to get alots of emails and pm?s. I get 10-50 each day, and even though I don?t have the time to respond to them, people get a feeling they know you through a blog, and therefor can ask you personal questions etc, and if you responded to all, you would have no more time to live your regular life.

My thought with my own blog was to share my regular life here, in words and pictures, as I figured it might be useful to people with plans of moving here.
Pictures themselves, I think is nice even if you don?t plan to move here, but yet has an interest in DR and life here.

Carina, yes, the volume of PMs I receive has skyrocketed since starting the blog. Not as many as 50 per day but enough to have to do mass clearouts of PMs on a weekly basis.

I think there are different ways to blog. I read one (nothing to do with the DR) who posts a detailed entry every weekend, and only blogs in between if there is anything topical he wants to mention, usually in the shape of links to news stories and one liners. If you set out to blog on a daily basis the risk is you blog for the sake of blogging instead of waiting till you have something to say. Not saying you do that, but I know I've fallen into that trap myself at times.

I don't think Nals is going to be sharing personal info on his blog, as he never does on the forums, so prying questions should not be an issue.

Of course, no one has yet told him that to become a blogger on DR1 he has to undergo the ritual initiation involving farm animals and annointment with marmite.:lick: :eek:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Chirimoya said:
Carina, yes, the volume of PMs I receive has skyrocketed since starting the blog. Not as many as 50 per day but enough to have to do mass clearouts of PMs on a weekly basis.

I think there are different ways to blog. I read one (nothing to do with the DR) who posts a detailed entry every weekend, and only blogs in between if there is anything topical he wants to mention, usually in the shape of links to news stories and one liners. If you set out to blog on a daily basis the risk is you blog for the sake of blogging instead of waiting till you have something to say. Not saying you do that, but I know I've fallen into that trap myself at times.

I don't think Nals is going to be sharing personal info on his blog, as he never does on the forums, so prying questions should not be an issue.

Of course, no one has yet told him that to become a blogger on DR1 he has to undergo the ritual initiation involving farm animals and annointment with marmite.:lick: :eek:

I agree completely Chiri... and that was my point to him as well...that we/he chose ourselves what to blog about, we learn, we maybe change a little etc etc.
I?ve got in to this myself, and I didn?t change my thoughts about what I want to share and blog about, but I have changed a little of the way I write, because of this.
It?s not 50 emails every day, but it has been on some days, and other days way less around 10..

It might be a little different living here in Puerto Plata as well, as alots of people visit, want to meet, want friendships, a lunch, a beer etc..
Really nice, and so cute, but it is not a possible thing to do, and contain your regular life at the same time.

As for me, my way of sharing in another way than on DR1 forum, is to blog.
And I like to write and to take pictures.
I just never thought of that it would bring requests to share my life, or my experiences on a personal correspondance as well.
Heck, that?s impossible! :classic:

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nal if you want my honest opinion it depends what your blog will be on. If you are short on time I for one would hate losing your well written posts on the DR1 forums. If hits and PMs and emails aren't important to you I'd rather read your posts than blog. If you have time to do both than great.

But that is just my 2 cents :nervous:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Nals 24/7??...Oh, hell yeah!

Nals....

I will be your number one fan.

We can talk about it this Saturday night at the DR1 gathering.

Are you still coming?

Scandall

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scandall said:
Nals....

I will be your number one fan.

We can talk about it this Saturday night at the DR1 gathering.

Are you still coming?

Scandall

Yes he is coming. He said he was coming. I reserved a seat for him.

Larry

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Larry said:
Yes he is coming. He said he was coming. I reserved a seat for him.

Larry

You guys make sure you get pictures of this great phantom poster ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
oh and please do write down what you had for breakfast everyday. Hahahahah
AZB

May 31, 2005
I would definitely read your blog. I love reading your informative posts on DR1. I am sure that your blog will be just as interesting and informative.